Aug 08, 2010, 12:34 AM
Chen, whats the max speed we can spin the 75mm fan that comes with the J10? I have two to build and need to know how big of a motor I can go with. can they spin at 55000 rpm?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Hi Livnpaintball,

I'm sure that you'll find out more information from these two links,
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...stem/edf75.htm
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product.../brushless.htm

Chen
Aug 09, 2010, 05:53 AM
We want... Information!
Quote:
Originally Posted by livnpaintball
can they spin at 55000 rpm?
I doubt it. GWS have run the EDF75 up to around 40000rpm (my guesstimate based on 1260g thrust achieved) at 800W, but even that is pushing it.

55000rpm is over the top anyway. You would get over 2kg static thrust, but would need ~1800W to do it (plus there's a high probability of the fan grenading...).
Sep 27, 2010, 12:20 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others

Successful Maiden

I got a chance to fly my J-10 this weekend for the first time and it flies great! I spent a few weeks building her and I decided to upgrade the power system from the stock EDF75 fan to a 70mm HET 6904 with a Cyclone Power 3300kv motor with 5s 3000mh battery. I'm getting 1150 Watts at 64.5 amp after it settles. More than 1:1 thrust.

First flight went pretty well. There was a light breeze but it gusted right during rollout and the plane tipped and skidded on the wing tip. I aborted and went and picked it up to inspect it, just the paint came off so I went again and she took off very quickly. I went with the really limited throws of 5mm on the aileron's and 20mm on elevator up and 15mm down. I'm also using independent canard servos that have mixed to both elevator and aileron. There is plenty of elevator control at those settings, probably too much. The roll rate was fine, but I think for my preference I'll dial it up a bit and leave this setting as a low dual rate setting.

While I was flying the wind really picked up but this plane flew fantastic. It is VERY fast! The wind kept changing directions so I didn't feel terriblely comfortable with low high speed passes, but the slow ones looked great and she is easy to control. I'd have to say she isn't the easiest delta I've flown but she's far from being a handful. By the time my timer went off, the wind was really going and changing directions like crazy. (great timing I know) So my original landing direction had to change and then the wind changed again, and again. So, I came in a little hot and she tipped while trying to turn her away from a curb. A little road rash on the wing tip and a little damage to the intake from the curb. All easy to fix. I can't wait to get her back out.

I'm very happy with this kit and really wish I would have found it sooner. GWS had a winner on their hands, too bad it came out so long ago and no one seems to know about it. I would think a painted RTF or BNF would sell great as I really did not enjoy all the painting, but that's just me. I'll see if I can't get some video this week to post.

-swps
Sep 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
Fan-atic
This is a great model. Still fly the heck out of mine. The 75mm fan is an odd size and probably would have sold better if it had a decent 70mm fan as stock.
Sep 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps
I got a chance to fly my J-10 this weekend for the first time and it flies great! I spent a few weeks building her and I decided to upgrade the power system from the stock EDF75 fan to a 70mm HET 6904 with a Cyclone Power 3300kv motor with 5s 3000mh battery. I'm getting 1150 Watts at 64.5 amp after it settles. More than 1:1 thrust.

First flight went pretty well. There was a light breeze but it gusted right during rollout and the plane tipped and skidded on the wing tip. I aborted and went and picked it up to inspect it, just the paint came off so I went again and she took off very quickly. I went with the really limited throws of 5mm on the aileron's and 20mm on elevator up and 15mm down. I'm also using independent canard servos that have mixed to both elevator and aileron. There is plenty of elevator control at those settings, probably too much. The roll rate was fine, but I think for my preference I'll dial it up a bit and leave this setting as a low dual rate setting.

While I was flying the wind really picked up but this plane flew fantastic. It is VERY fast! The wind kept changing directions so I didn't feel terriblely comfortable with low high speed passes, but the slow ones looked great and she is easy to control. I'd have to say she isn't the easiest delta I've flown but she's far from being a handful. By the time my timer went off, the wind was really going and changing directions like crazy. (great timing I know) So my original landing direction had to change and then the wind changed again, and again. So, I came in a little hot and she tipped while trying to turn her away from a curb. A little road rash on the wing tip and a little damage to the intake from the curb. All easy to fix. I can't wait to get her back out.

I'm very happy with this kit and really wish I would have found it sooner. GWS had a winner on their hands, too bad it came out so long ago and no one seems to know about it. I would think a painted RTF or BNF would sell great as I really did not enjoy all the painting, but that's just me. I'll see if I can't get some video this week to post.

-swps

Would you say that the cyclone motor is a copy of the MB1 from Sapac or Global Fly?

I assume you had to modify the HET/ cut a hole to pass the wires through the front since the wire are on the front of the motor?
Sep 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_dad
Would you say that the cyclone motor is a copy of the MB1 from Sapac or Global Fly?

I assume you had to modify the HET/ cut a hole to pass the wires through the front since the wire are on the front of the motor?
I don't have an MB1 to compare to, but I do have the stock motor that comes with a SAPAC JAS-39 and its definitely a better motor than that one. It' bigger for one, and it's been balanced too. Cyclone is hands down my favorite motor as of late. I own 3 now in various speeds and not one has let me down. I keep getting them from Hong Kong, wish there was a US supplier at a similar price.

Yes, I cut a slot for the wires to come out the front and then routed the wires back down on the back side of the shroud. If I had gone with one of the models with a stand off no modification would have been necessary, but I wanted to use 5s on this one.
Sep 30, 2010, 04:28 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Just brought one of these, hopefully its here in a couple of days. brought it without the motor.

Idealy want it to run on 4S 2650 batts (because I have 6 ) anyone have a good setup on these batts ?

do have a EDF unit from a Sapac JAS-39 that draws 60 amps static on a fresh 4S
Sep 30, 2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwelli
Just brought one of these, hopefully its here in a couple of days. brought it without the motor.

Idealy want it to run on 4S 2650 batts (because I have 6 ) anyone have a good setup on these batts ?

do have a EDF unit from a Sapac JAS-39 that draws 60 amps static on a fresh 4S
Those are awfully big packs. I'm not sure the jet is big enough for those.
Sep 30, 2010, 10:13 PM
Fan-atic
It will be nose heavy with a 2650 4s, but if you get creative enough you can probably stuff it back far enough. 60 amps on 4s would fly this model with authority. If you use seperate servos for the canards there is a lot more room up front.
Oct 01, 2010, 01:29 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
what would be the other options for 4S ? just measured the fan I have, its 75mm diameter and weighs 193 grams. guess I need to wait for this thing to turn up and start measuring
Oct 04, 2010, 03:38 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Kit turned up

Best news of the day, may Sapac 75mm EDF will fit !, just need to enlarge the locating slot about 3mm to fit the front lip.
The inrunner will effectivly be 40 mm further back, along with the long tapered part of the new edf, will shift the weight rear ward - which will help when I add an extra 90 grams of battery over standard.

Speaking of batteries, nothing I have will fit, my 3S 2650 are as wide as my 4S 2650's both being 30C turnigys. Looking at the batt bay, all i need to do it mill the side cooling slots out of the battery bay and I will have enough room.

Question for the experianced builders, what do you think of the wing attachment clip system ? would it be better just to glue them in place, and run a 5.0mm carbon tube from one side to the other for strength ?

My daughter donated two pilot heads, not sure if I will use them
Oct 04, 2010, 04:54 PM
Fan-atic
If i remember right, i used the plastic wing attachments in mine to line everything up correctly and just glued the wings on permanent. Its not a huge wing anyways.
Oct 05, 2010, 04:21 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Gluing on permenently is the plan then.

Ok, dremel time, the EDF now fits, just enlarged the locating ring slot.

4S 2650 lipo fits, widened the battery bay, by removing the side cooling slots. also relieved a section of fuselage from the cockpit opening to the battery bay for the battery leads.
Oct 05, 2010, 04:42 PM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Ok, before I get to much deeper into the build, any recomended mods, apart from fan/batt upgrade ?

Anyone use magnets for the hatch ?

Who uses rudder, I plan on leaving it out ?

Quick Reply