Sep 19, 2020, 10:10 PM
Some more FPV action with my Kyosho Scorpion XXL! (5 min 27 sec)

Turned some hotlaps on a concrete RC oval track some guys in my area are restoring. I'm chippin' in as well and, hey, we get to turn some hotlaps! Why not go gogs-down and turn some laps~? HEhe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2020, 03:08 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxalu
Here's the second vid in the camping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEm7u1TkpWU&t=4s
So what was the guy saying at the end?
Sep 20, 2020, 12:43 PM
FPV ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
So what was the guy saying at the end?
Hey, he said that he have try to grab the rc car for joking. I don't know why, but this rc fpv pickup blow the mind of many people, and like the kids, they try to take it, and sometimes destroy it.... That's in the last part ��
Sep 20, 2020, 04:26 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Definitely pushing your luck with those people!
Sep 20, 2020, 04:32 PM
And that's why I tend to stick to areas like my own yard or the oval track I'm helping restore...
Sep 20, 2020, 05:30 PM
Very brave, Traxx! That makes me nervous to watch, heh.

C6, that's awesome. Next you need a dirt track with jumps!

I've been making messes with Retalion's diffs; It's working better and better. I haven't done much more than that since last updates because I've been prepping my 1:1 off-roader for an upcoming trip in 2 weeks, going to head up a forest trail solo and camp a couple nights. If all goes right, Retalion and my 1:10 crawler (non-FPV) will be coming with me and I should have lots of footage afterward. If all goes wrong, you'll never hear from me again.
Sep 20, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reversion
C6, that's awesome. Next you need a dirt track with jumps!
Yeah that'd be far better for this car than the oval. Gonna build a proper oval car. There is such a track at the same facility, not that you can see it right now. We'll try to recover that as well, and if/when we do you can bet I'll pull some FPV laps of it!

I'd like to point out how exceedingly rare it is for a surface FPV vehicle to be driven hard. Traxx does some really good stuff but he's not really trying to go super fast very much, if at all, and a lot of the high speed first person videos on YT are recorded with a gopro and driven LOS. I'm no Ty Tessmann and I likely never will be, but I'll certainly try to fill the gap, maybe inspire better drivers than I to don their gogs and ply their trade.

Should I hashtag my videos #OneTank when I push, like the quad guys do with #OnePack? Aahaha

Nmm, wish I could hear the engines from first person when driving, but that's just not possible. Re-watching my video, that KE-25 sounds AMAZING in first person. Ah well, it is what it is, no way the meagre audio amp in an EV-800d will overpower the 3rd person exhaust note down in that bowl. And I will admit there's a slight disconnect in the mind hearing a third person engine note but seeing first person footage.
Last edited by C6 Aviation; Sep 20, 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Sep 21, 2020, 02:57 AM
I've used Bose noise-cancelling headphones and even with only one ear playing audio, the immersion was off the charts. They wouldn't fully snuff out a nitro engine running nearby, but it might be a low background noise which would be drowned out by the transmitted audio directly in your ear.

I like to drive mine hard FPV as well, but I haven't shown that yet because for rough offroading, generally the faster you go the more you need image stabilization to see much of anything. It gets very hard to drive when the picture is a constant blur. Blasts down the street or on a smooth dirt road (or track?) are no problem without it, though. It doesn't need to be too fancy, just a well-tuned gyro hooked up to a fast tilt servo. I find that pitch is the big issue, roll less so (and yaw not at all).
Retalion isn't there yet (slowly working through many other needs first), and Retcon (my 1:10 analog FPV desert buggy), which does have it, needs a rebuild and is on the backburner for now. I didn't have a way to record that one when I started so no footage of it.
Last edited by Reversion; Sep 21, 2020 at 03:31 AM.
Sep 21, 2020, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reversion
I've used Bose noise-cancelling headphones and even with only one ear playing audio, the immersion was off the charts. They wouldn't fully snuff out a nitro engine running nearby, but it might be a low background noise which would be drowned out by the transmitted audio directly in your ear.
Not for a car anyway. I would link some 3rd person video of the car so you could hear the reverb(OMG It sounds amazing) but apparently RCG hates FB. Gee I wonder why....

Bet it'd work for a plane though. They're orders of magnitude quieter than cars.

Quote:
I like to drive mine hard FPV as well, but I haven't shown that yet because for rough offroading, generally the faster you go the more you need image stabilization to see much of anything. It gets very hard to drive when the picture is a constant blur. Blasts down the street or on a smooth dirt road (or track?) are no problem without it, though. It doesn't need to be too fancy, just a well-tuned gyro hooked up to a fast tilt servo.
I almost wanna say Kyosho designed the Scorpion XXL specifically to be FPV'd, because I haven't had any of the shakycam problems I expected. With it being a nitro car I expected a constant jello somewhere in the RPM band from the engine vibration....see this video from a 20-size pattern ship I fly with an OS H-40P on the nose...
Speedyboi 20 flight (4 min 54 sec)

...but nothing came from it. The Scorp is jello free.

I'd highly recommend you pick one up. They're great for it. I have my FPV gear fully hidden inside the cage too, so minimal risk to it if-and-when the car takes a spill.

Traxxas Slayer 3.3 FPV test (2 min 12 sec)

My Slayer Pro had *some* jello from engine vibration but not enough that I couldn't drive it FPV. The suspension on that thing is like a cadillac though. Makes it handle like a 70s US Barge, but it also makes it a good FPV platform.

Retalion isn't there yet (slowly working through many other needs first), and Retcon (my 1:10 analog FPV desert buggy), which does have it, needs a rebuild and is on the backburner for now. I didn't have a way to record that one when I started so no footage of it.[/QUOTE]
Sep 23, 2020, 04:33 PM
looking forward to the next vid traxx, great videos dude...
nice nitro c6, could almost smell it while watching, miss that smell..

can't get enough of this dji

fpv kermit.....now in dji hd (5 min 28 sec)

TonKa TruGgy.....hide n seek (10 min 24 sec)
Sep 23, 2020, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue hand brian
No reason not to run it now! Kyosho sells some good stuff too, especially in 1/8 and 1/7. My Scorp XXL can be built either way and swapped to-and-fro at will even. The Mad Force family...I have a Mad Crusher...are also super awesome. Live axle, 3-speeds, punchy engines. Dunno how easy it'd be to FPV one without jello though...worth a try on mine I suppose.

There's a guy in Germany selling literal stacks of Scorpion XXL kits on eBay for a pretty good price. About the same as I paid for mine from AMain here in the 'states. He wants 40+ USD to ship one over here to me but I imagine P&P to you in the UK would be a lot cheaper. And they're practically designed for FPV. I didn't have to do anything more than slap a camera in where the driver's helmet goes and put a bit of foam over the mic on the VTx to keep wind noise abated.

Pretty neat vids as well! I'm interested in the DJI ecosystem but the cost and audio problems are keeping me from buying in.
Sep 24, 2020, 02:37 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8LJ34TiVXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgkhb8T11A&t=319s
Nice to see Kermit back......halfway through I was planning to write about how peaceful it was and that Kermit was self isolating.....then he finds another boat.....that was unexpected....
The DJI video is nice and clean.....
Sep 24, 2020, 08:40 AM
FPV ground
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8LJ34TiVXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgkhb8T11A&t=319s
So cool these videos, very enterteining place for FPV !!!!
Too bad that the gimbal go down when you jump
Sep 24, 2020, 05:40 PM
cheers guys.... yeah the gimbal dropping is very annoying, think i might be able to tune it better and up the power to 4s, just been putting it off as really don't know much about them and what i did know is long forgotten lol, and i really want to do jumps, recon the bigger the more time i'll have to react

trying to upscale to 4k but my laptop isn't fast enough, started at 10am before work just finished and still got over 20 hrs left, a 5 min vid lol
recon the view i get in the goggles is better than youtube vids edited from on board.

I did run the truggy when it was nitro fpv, never had much range as crap gear, would hate to stall it far out or run out of fuel
but as a track beast would be great, think i got another truggy in bits wonder where i put my old ninja .21
Sep 24, 2020, 08:16 PM
Quote:

I did run the truggy when it was nitro fpv, never had much range as crap gear, would hate to stall it far out or run out of fuel
but as a track beast would be great, think i got another truggy in bits wonder where i put my old ninja .21
I've been mulling over fuel sensing/telemetry, and the idea I keep coming back to is an optical go/nogo sensor. A bingo fuel light. A photodiode sits on one side of the tank, a high brightness LED sits on the other side, and there's an aperture to focus the light from this LED. Some sort of detector circuit monitors the output of the photosensor. When fuel is in between the two diodes, the output will be 'low' and the circuit will be like 'yo all is good', but if the fuel level drops down far enough that the photodiode goes 'high' it triggers a bingo fuel light. This LED is mounted within the camera's field of view, much like the gear status indicators in Traxx' videos are.

Could also have three sensors, one that trips at 3/4 tank, one at 1/2 tank, one at 1/4 tank, and an array of indicators on the dash.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could probably shift the diodes 90 degrees so they look through top-down and tweak the detector circuit to give you an actual percentage reading, but the bingo fuel light would be the easiest thing to set up.

Quick Reply