Nov 21, 2019, 07:05 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sibi_
Your FPV Camera Pan/Tilt is that custom made or bought?
Thanks!
The aluminium cage was bought from a US based company, but so long ago that I can’t remember where........but it was designed to sit in an aeroplane cockpit......I now use a 3D printed pan/tilt housing that I designed for my GoPro.....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2019, 11:12 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
FPVsummituk is Rock Ape real top heavy? From the little I've driven mine since I put the Tonka body on it seems to be real top heavy. Still haven't what you would call a good run out of it. The last outing the goggles decided to be B/W so it was really hard to see where I was going. Still trying to sort that out. I even have FS puzzled
Nov 21, 2019, 03:29 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps50
FPVsummituk is Rock Ape real top heavy? From the little I've driven mine since I put the Tonka body on it seems to be real top heavy. Still haven't what you would call a good run out of it. The last outing the goggles decided to be B/W so it was really hard to see where I was going. Still trying to sort that out. I even have FS puzzled
It is obviously more top heavy than the stock Summit.......but with the front and rear shocks swopped around and the P2 Rockers added, it is able to climb reasonable inclines........it also helps if you can get some of the weight into the engine bay, to spread the load a bit.......I made this video about 4 years ago and you can see how it can climb at around 7 minutes into the footage.......

RockApe's Westcliffe Drive 270215 (14 min 1 sec)
Nov 21, 2019, 10:12 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
It is obviously more top heavy than the stock Summit.......but with the front and rear shocks swopped around and the P2 Rockers added, it is able to climb reasonable inclines........it also helps if you can get some of the weight into the engine bay, to spread the load a bit.......I made this video about 4 years ago and you can see how it can climb at around 7 minutes into the footage.......

https://youtu.be/UVX8bOjsIS8
I have P2 rockers and I'm pretty sure I switched the shocks. Right now most of the weight in the Tonka is in the back, which is maily a 1500 mAh 3s battery for the vtx. Guess if I don't get the Fatsharks figured out I'll have to drive it using the Vipers or put a different camera in it. Was thinking about a Runcam Hybride or the Cadxx Tasier both have separate cameras for the HD video & the FPV feed. The 4K HD video is amazing but I can't edit or play 4K my laptop just doesn't like it.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:14 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
I have P2 rockers and I'm pretty sure I switched the shocks. Right now most of the weight in the Tonka is in the back, which is maily a 1500 mAh 3s battery for the vtx. Guess if I don't get the Fatsharks figured out I'll have to drive it using the Vipers or put a different camera in it. Was thinking about a Runcam Hybride or the Cadxx Tasier both have separate cameras for the HD video & the FPV feed. The 4K HD video is amazing but I can't edit or play 4K my laptop just doesn't like it.
The other problem with 4K video is that you limit how many people will be able to see your video.......I can both edit and watch in 4K, but havenít bothered to change the camera for that very reason.
You say that you can see colour with anything but the fatsharks.......so it must be something to do with them, not the camera......have you asked fatshark or your supplier about this problem?........which model GoPro are you using?

As for top heavy........what sort of stability problems are you getting?......I have found that long grass in thick patches half way up a hill can cause the front to lift, and at speed it spells disaster......
Nov 22, 2019, 05:13 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
The other problem with 4K video is that you limit how many people will be able to see your video.......I can both edit and watch in 4K, but havenít bothered to change the camera for that very reason.
You say that you can see colour with anything but the fatsharks.......so it must be something to do with them, not the camera......have you asked fatshark or your supplier about this problem?........which model GoPro are you using?

As for top heavy........what sort of stability problems are you getting?......I have found that long grass in thick patches half way up a hill can cause the front to lift, and at speed it spells disaster......
I really don't think it's a camera problem, my Vipers are in color & I have a monitor that I put a rx on the back that I can use for a ground station or tuning and it works too. Guess I could get out my cheap box goggles and see what they do. Fatshark said to check that the FS's are on the right channel. I'm using the rx module that came with the Attitudes, wish I had Rapid Fire to try and see if it's the module. The other thing that said was to turn on the tx before powering the goggles, which I do most of the time anyway. I've got another video cable for the Gopro HD2 I mingt try wiring it to a different tx & see what happens. I'm ore inclined to lean towards the tx as the issue.

We need the setup like the new Capro from Axial where you can disengage the rear diff & just let the front wheels pull, this is supose to help with back flipping when climbing. I guess what really got me thinking was I use to be able ot climb the step to the deck now it does a back flip. Front weight might help this too.
Nov 23, 2019, 04:11 AM
Atleast It's in one piece
Quote:
I really don't think it's a camera problem, my Vipers are in color & I have a monitor that I put a rx on the back that I can use for a ground station or tuning and it works too. Guess I could get out my cheap box goggles and see what they do. Fatshark said to check that the FS's are on the right channel. I'm using the rx module that came with the Attitudes, wish I had Rapid Fire to try and see if it's the module. The other thing that said was to turn on the tx before powering the goggles, which I do most of the time anyway. I've got another video cable for the Gopro HD2 I mingt try wiring it to a different tx & see what happens. I'm ore inclined to lean towards the tx as the issue.
Are there any guys flying FPV Quads near to you , you could just sit down near to where they are flying and tune into their channels and see if you get a colour picture. They might even be willing to have a look at the goggles for you as most people in this section of the hobby seem very friendly.

I have a field screen I use for setting up and Iíve found if itís on the wrong version of PAL or NTSC compared to the TX I can get rolling screens, bars or just a good but black and white image so wonder if this isnít working correctly within your googles/module?
Nov 23, 2019, 04:18 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:

We need the setup like the new Capro from Axial where you can disengage the rear diff & just let the front wheels pull, this is supose to help with back flipping when climbing. I guess what really got me thinking was I use to be able ot climb the step to the deck now it does a back flip. Front weight might help this too.
Do you have the front and rear diffs locking independently or together with your rc control?......maybe locking the front first and the rear second would help, as you could apply just the front when climbing.....

With the camera black/white problem........up to a point, Iím inclined to agree with you.......I donít think that it is the camera, but nor do I think that it is the VTx, as you are getting colour transmitted to other Vtx systems.
Are you receiving your video at the goggles in 5.8 mhz or 1.3 MHz direct from your Truck or via a relay?.......it sounds as if the signal is leaving the truck, it is the receiving that is giving the problem.

Here is something that you could try.......get a picture up in the Attitudes......then while everything is running switch between PAL and NTSC on the GoPro .......this will check to see whether the goggles are automatically switching between the two formats........itís got to be either the goggles or the VRx module (assuming that you are not running through a relay).
.edit:- just seen Arcrightís post.......we seem to be having the same line of thought....
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:50 AM.
Nov 23, 2019, 10:58 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright
Are there any guys flying FPV Quads near to you , you could just sit down near to where they are flying and tune into their channels and see if you get a colour picture. They might even be willing to have a look at the goggles for you as most people in this section of the hobby seem very friendly.

I have a field screen I use for setting up and Iíve found if itís on the wrong version of PAL or NTSC compared to the TX I can get rolling screens, bars or just a good but black and white image so wonder if this isnít working correctly within your googles/module?
Quote:
Do you have the front and rear diffs locking independently or together with your rc control?......maybe locking the front first and the rear second would help, as you could apply just the front when climbing.....

With the camera black/white problem........up to a point, Iím inclined to agree with you.......I donít think that it is the camera, but nor do I think that it is the VTx, as you are getting colour transmitted to other Vtx systems.
Are you receiving your video at the goggles in 5.8 mhz or 1.3 MHz direct from your Truck or via a relay?.......it sounds as if the signal is leaving the truck, it is the receiving that is giving the problem.

Here is something that you could try.......get a picture up in the Attitudes......then while everything is running switch between PAL and NTSC on the GoPro .......this will check to see whether the goggles are automatically switching between the two formats........itís got to be either the goggles or the VRx module (assuming that you are not running through a relay).
.edit:- just seen Arcrightís post.......we seem to be having the same line of thought....
The Attitudes decide if it's PAL or NTSC when locking onto the signal, that is why you power the vtx 1st. There is a flying field near me but I think it's mostly LOS. The Attitudes work find with fine with everything else. I have several whoops and all come show in the goggles in color. This is direct 5.8 mhz not using a ground station. I'm still leaning towards the vtx not being on the correct freq, it has a funky combination of 2 leds to get the freq. I'm thinking the Attitudes are less tolerant of of being off freq being off than the other goggles monitors I have, Fatshark TS alluded to this too.
Nov 23, 2019, 12:10 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
The Attitudes decide if it's PAL or NTSC when locking onto the signal, that is why you power the vtx 1st. There is a flying field near me but I think it's mostly LOS. The Attitudes work find with fine with everything else. I have several whoops and all come show in the goggles in color. This is direct 5.8 mhz not using a ground station. I'm still leaning towards the vtx not being on the correct freq, it has a funky combination of 2 leds to get the freq. I'm thinking the Attitudes are less tolerant of of being off freq being off than the other goggles monitors I have, Fatshark TS alluded to this too.
Ok, I get what you are saying........it could possibly be the 5.8 VTx.......I’m sure you said, but which one is it?

I’ve used both the 25mw and the 600mw Immersion RC 5.8 VTx and have never had a problem with the fatshark HDs.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Nov 23, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Nov 23, 2019, 05:52 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Anyone FPV Real RipSaw yet?

WORLD'S MOST DESIRED LUXURY SUPER TANK GETS DIRTY! "RIPSAW" EV1 | RC ADVENTURES (9 min 5 sec)
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 24, 2019, 06:09 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Ok, I get what you are saying........it could possibly be the 5.8 VTx.......I’m sure you said, but which one is it?

I’ve used both the 25mw and the 600mw Immersion RC 5.8 VTx and have never had a problem with the fatshark HDs.
You were right FPVsummituk it wasn't the tx I took the video system out of the truck so it would be easier to work on, swapped out the tx to another on I had sitting around. It was a AKK TS5823S got the same results the video is color everwhere except the Attidude's. I even put the tx on the Fatshark band and it's still b/w. Just to sastify my courisity I'm going to wire a different camera to it. I think I need some HDO2's i'm hoping I can get a good deal on a Rapidfire module on a Black Friday sale

Wired a different camera and the Attitudes had color so it has to be something with the signal coming from the Gopro HD2 I'll pass all this along to Fatshark & see what they have t o say.

Now I need to decide what to do about a camera in the Tonka Summit, if I use the camera I test with I will loose the HD recording which I like probably something to worry about in the spring winter is fast approaching here so outside exploring is about to come to an end.
Last edited by Gramps50; Nov 24, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 08:51 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1

https://youtu.be/zQO3waFhe3I
To start that is way out of my price range. I wasnít that impressed with the way it crawled, I think my Rockslide XL is more fun & go places the tank only thought about. I can climb steps with it bet the Ripsaw can do it.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:21 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
You were right FPVsummituk it wasn't the tx I took the video system out of the truck so it would be easier to work on, swapped out the tx to another on I had sitting around. It was a AKK TS5823S got the same results the video is color everwhere except the Attidude's. I even put the tx on the Fatshark band and it's still b/w. Just to sastify my courisity I'm going to wire a different camera to it. I think I need some HDO2's i'm hoping I can get a good deal on a Rapidfire module on a Black Friday sale

Wired a different camera and the Attitudes had color so it has to be something with the signal coming from the Gopro HD2 I'll pass all this along to Fatshark & see what they have t o say.

Now I need to decide what to do about a camera in the Tonka Summit, if I use the camera I test with I will loose the HD recording which I like probably something to worry about in the spring winter is fast approaching here so outside exploring is about to come to an end.
Stick with the GoPro itís still yhe best way to go for FPV......and in the Tonka Summit, you have more than enough room.

It could still be the 5.8 VRx module in the goggles......or just an incompatibility between the VTx and the VRx........I always work on the principal that if you use the same make of VTx and VRx, they will be comparable and will always work together........I looked this up in one of the problem forums, and fatsharks answer was that they design their goggles to work with specific modules and transmitters, they canít design to work to everyoneís, its up to the third party supplier to design their modules to work in the fatsharks if they intend to sell modules to work with them.......which I think is a fair comment.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:24 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1

https://youtu.be/zQO3waFhe3I
This is a great looking model........but it is very expensive!....

I think that Iíll stick with my Tonka Summit......

Quick Reply