Jun 24, 2019, 10:20 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
When real close you dont get thunder, just the sound of the charge striking of really loud pops. And the smell of ozone
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 02:27 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
I had the same when walking my dog many years ago......the lightening struck a telegraph pole 25 feet from me......the people living in the adjacent houses had their phones melt as the lines were wrecked.......but the weird thing was that my dog, which had 8” long hair was hit by the static and it’s hair stood out at 90 degrees to its body making it look like a giant hairbrush.......when I got home I was telling my wife and she said look in the mirror.....my hair was standing up as well.
Jun 25, 2019, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
When real close you dont get thunder, just the sound of the charge striking of really loud pops. And the smell of ozone
Yes, I remember that from a previous instance not involving RC

As I pointed out previously, whilst subsequent analysis proves it was far enough away to not be a real threat, inside the immersive yet restrictive world-view of my goggles it didn't feel that way. Not at all.
It very nearly scared the out of me.

I can happily accept that I am a wuss, that my internal fortitude may not be the equal of others here and that perhaps calmer analysis would have led to a less hurried and more dignified withdrawal to shelter.

But I'm sure as hell I won't be experimenting to try and improve my performance and nor would I advise others to do so
Jun 25, 2019, 06:21 AM
I have a good lightning story but too long for here of a home I did some work at.
And being a wuss, I'm with you on that. As much I like a good lightning storm. When it gets too close, it wins and I'm inside faster than the dog.
Jun 25, 2019, 04:11 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
. As much I like a good lightning storm. When it gets too close, it wins and I'm inside faster than the dog.
Too true.......I canít think of anything worse than standing in a field with an antenna attached to your head while an electrical storm is going on overhead........
But if anyone does, I hope that they have their truck camera pointed at them.......at least it would make a very interesting end to the video........
Jun 25, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
Too true.......I canít think of anything worse than standing in a field with an antenna attached to your head while an electrical storm is going on overhead........
But if anyone does, I hope that they have their truck camera pointed at them.......at least it would make a very interesting end to the video........
I have to say in my own defence, that I had no intention of being out there FPVing in a thunderstorm. Even I'm not that foolish.

As I and others have noted in the past, thanks to the wonders of modern electronics, the light values in the images in most goggles allow darkness to creep up on you very easily. I had been pootling about out there for a good ten minutes whilst said thunderstorm snuck up silently on me and announced its presence so dramatically.
I can legitimately say that, like an inept medium, I didn't see that coming

I do wish I'd had the camera point at me at the time. Not for the "interesting" shots that didn't happen but for the humorous ones that were missed. Once I started moving I'm pretty sure I hit my best speed inside two strides.
And then kept accelerating
Jun 25, 2019, 07:28 PM
Yup, lightning is a good source of adrenaline.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:35 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I was playing poker with some friends at one of their homes one night when a violent thunder storm rolled in. I looked at the guy across the table and said "hey, wanna bet on whether or not the house gets struck by lightning?". We started to argue about who would bet "yes" and who would bet "no". I distinctly remember hearing a high-pitched sizzle noise followed by an incredibly bright flash and as I was starting to think "boy that one's gonna be loud" the house got struck by lightning. Almost crapped my pants.

The lightning hit a gutter and followed the downspout down the side of the house. Dug a good 1.5' deep hole in the ground where the spout emptied out. On the inside of the house, every outlet and switch on that wall was blown out of the wall and every place there was one of those metal brackets that spike in to the exterior wall to hold the downspout, on the inside wall there was about a 1' diameter circle of plaster missing.

This was probably 35 years ago now and it's left a lasting impression even after all this time.
Jun 27, 2019, 04:59 AM
Even now that decent weather has returned I'm struggling to find local routes that I haven't tried before, or even ones that I have documented before that are still passable for this rig.
Still pottering around and having fun but there is little sense of achievement or reason to upload any of the runs.
I've tried going further afield but the results haven't been anything interesting so far.

Does this happen to others? Or am I expecting too much?
Jun 27, 2019, 08:17 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
Even now that decent weather has returned I'm struggling to find local routes that I haven't tried before, or even ones that I have documented before that are still passable for this rig.
Still pottering around and having fun but there is little sense of achievement or reason to upload any of the runs.
I've tried going further afield but the results haven't been anything interesting so far.

The answer is yes.....we all have places that we enjoy driving, so we go back there, itís always good to repeat runs after replacing something as you have a previous run to compare it to.
But I do enjoy driving along the beach, and so I keep going back there......I also have Hadleigh Castle ruins, which is interesting......but both places become crowded during the school holidays, so I tend to stay away over that period.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:24 AM
Thanks
I thought maybe I was just being boring (still)
Still saving for a slightly better truck but should be there soon.
That will liven things up a bit
Jun 27, 2019, 09:52 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:

I tend to go back to the sameplaces over and over unless they turned out to be uninteresting. Maybe I'm lazy but I tend to run around my house a lot. Non of my neighbors have fences around their places so I have a pretty nice size area to explore. I also have several local parks I like to drive in some better than others. I to tend to go when there aren't a lot of people.
Jun 28, 2019, 03:48 AM
I was just getting a little frustrated by the runs I was getting recently. The combination of weather and undergrowth is a challenge in itself. This morning I got up before dawn to play in the forecast "mist" which would have made for interesting videos.
What I got was FOG which gave the scenes two options. High wet grass/weeds or dirty grey vagueness. And I was having to wipe the lens off every 30 seconds

The fog has gone now so I may have another run later
I do so love the British Summer
Jun 28, 2019, 08:00 AM
Quote:
The fog has gone now so I may have another run later
I do so love the British Summer
Today is The British Summer Day? Nice!
Jun 28, 2019, 01:54 PM
Atleast It's in one piece
With the FrSky R9M system fitted to the Mini Crawler a full crop of 1 meter high corn about 200 meters deep I managed to get 260 meters before I got telemetry critical and fail safe. The ground was slightly undulating as well so that may have had an affect.

Quick Reply