Jun 14, 2017, 08:59 PM
Started on a 2nd Tonka setup last night
Sorting through the drawers and bins sourcing the parts i need for this build, appears to have almost everything needed, so happy that the cost will be much lower this time round.
Will be using Mobius cam with live out mounted on pan and tilt for main driving/recording camera, 1.3ghz vtx relayed to 5.8ghz and on to Fatsharks and a 2nd monitor with DVR.
Are thinking of installing a OSD with RTH feature to see how it would work, not sure if RTH feature will work ok on the ground but worth a shot, has any one tried this?
The chassis on this one will be a Team associates SC8E with 4200kv brushless motor and 200amp esc, this setup is very fast but expect once the weight of the Tonka is on it will tone down abit, but in saying that it will still haul ar#*e, hopefully enough to avoid any attacks from creatures small and large........
Suspension has been upgraded to limit body roll and will run the same tyres and rims that coyote uses

The fun begins......
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2017, 02:39 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirekid
Are thinking of installing a OSD with RTH feature to see how it would work, not sure if RTH feature will work ok on the ground but worth a shot, has any one tried this?
I had thought of a way point OSD AP just for giggles but you'd need to be pretty accurate setting the waypoints otherwise it'll crash into things, autonomously lol
RTH essentially should work fine, just have rudder only to the steering channel, but again, if you activate RTH make sure there's nothing between you and the car
Bigaole is a simple and cheap RTH AP.
If you are big on research and a steep learning curve, I'd start reading up on robotics to have sensors around the car for obstacle avoidence, perhaps even some intelligent obstacle avoidance... it's out there.... and wwaaayyyyy over my head
Jun 15, 2017, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
I had thought of a way point OSD AP just for giggles but you'd need to be pretty accurate setting the waypoints otherwise it'll crash into things, autonomously lol
RTH essentially should work fine, just have rudder only to the steering channel, but again, if you activate RTH make sure there's nothing between you and the car
Bigaole is a simple and cheap RTH AP.
If you are big on research and a steep learning curve, I'd start reading up on robotics to have sensors around the car for obstacle avoidence, perhaps even some intelligent obstacle avoidance... it's out there.... and wwaaayyyyy over my head
Thanks for your reply,

yeh that was my biggest concern re RTH , the obstacles in the way as i know with my FPV planes when RTH kicks in it takes a direct path back to first gps lock, and if trees or water is in that path i can see the tonk either crashing or going for a swim,,,,

i like the idea of sensors but how much weight/space/power would they consume...... only way might be to fit wings and a prop to the tonk and when rth is activated they pop out and it flys home ,,,lol thinking..... yeh ..nah
Jun 15, 2017, 03:17 AM
Quote:
i like the idea of sensors but how much weight/space/power would they consume......
You'd need to do some research into it, but I'm thinking it'd be little more than an aduino board, or perhaps an additional piggyback board?
I think the biggest penalty won't be the install per se, but for the brain numbing learning

Quote:
...... only way might be to fit wings and a prop to the tonk and when rth is activated they pop out and it flys home ,,,lol thinking..... yeh ..nah
Hmmmm.....
What about 4 arms with folding props that tuck away "Transformers" style... flick of a switch and your car becomes a VTOL quadcopter!
Eat yer heart out, James Bond!
Jun 15, 2017, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Hmmmm.....
What about 4 arms with folding props that tuck away "Transformers" style... flick of a switch and your car becomes a VTOL quadcopter!
Hahaha i like your thinking Aussie! now if i connect this to that and then flick this over , push this , click that... barda boom!
Jun 15, 2017, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Hahaha i like your thinking Aussie! now if i connect this to that and then flick this over , push this , click that... barda boom!
Yep, but don't press the red button.
No, don't press the.... oh... doesn't matter now, that was the ejector seat...
Jun 15, 2017, 06:25 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
You'd need to do some research into it, but I'm thinking it'd be little more than an aduino board, or perhaps an additional piggyback board?
I think the biggest penalty won't be the install per se, but for the brain numbing learning

Hmmmm.....
Did you ever catch GHBrians video........2min 40 secs in.........might just solve Les's RTH problem........

FPV Tonkers TTx2 (4 min 18 sec)
Jun 15, 2017, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
Did you ever catch GHBrians video........2min 40 secs in.........might just solve Les's RTH problem........

https://youtu.be/_nnxk0bQtak
hahaha magic!!
Jun 17, 2017, 09:52 PM
Hey I have a 1/10 racing car inset up for fpv. I wanted to know is there anything I can use to reduce the visibility of the scratches on the windshield. I mount my camera inside the car body. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Yungseed; Jun 17, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Jun 18, 2017, 09:50 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungseed
Hey I have a 1/10 racing car inset up for fpv. I wanted to know is there anything I can use to reduce the visibility of the scratches on the windshield. I mount my camera inside the car body. Thanks in advance.
If you can't polish them out.........then your best bet is to cut the windshield out completely.................when I first started with a stock Summit body, I cut out the windshield and both front door side glass.........reflections can really screw up your view.......
Jun 24, 2017, 05:58 PM
Short Video with the Monster Barbie Truck..
Have to find a Tonka or build a body. Going up hill with the cam inside is scary, have to
get it higher up looking over the hood. Ran into a log Today
Xmax bumper saved it.

Beach Run (3 min 54 sec)
Jun 24, 2017, 11:54 PM
lifeatredline76 on Youtube
Got a little driving in tonight after putting this together today.
FPV Traxxas Stampede 4x4 XL5 Test Run Runcam HD 2 Frsky L9R (3 min 59 sec)
Jun 25, 2017, 03:41 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Link
Short Video with the Monster Barbie Truck..
Have to find a Tonka or build a body. Going up hill with the cam inside is scary, have to
get it higher up looking over the hood. Ran into a log Today
Xmax bumper saved it.

https://youtu.be/vUGOVsJ5vSg
Nice run.........and what a great location............
Jun 25, 2017, 07:27 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Hey guys..........I was driving home the other day from a weeks vacation and I saw a council highways worker cutting the grass along the side of a major road.........he was using a radio controlled mower........I've never seen that before in the UK......I didn't know that they were available commercially...........shame that I didn't get a chance of a photo.......
Jun 25, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
Hey guys..........I was driving home the other day from a weeks vacation and I saw a council highways worker cutting the grass along the side of a major road.........he was using a radio controlled mower........I've never seen that before in the UK......I didn't know that they were available commercially...........shame that I didn't get a chance of a photo.......
Yep, lots of them Down Under for some time now, they use them frequently in areas I guess deemed hazardous, steep grassy areas prone to ride on mower rollovers, very close to traffic etc. No idea what freq they run on though