Jul 20, 2016, 04:26 AM
What are some good ways to stabilize a 2 foot antenna extension on the vtx? I'm using the dragon link 1.3 13cm dipole, on top of an extension. I've been trying some stuff with zip ties and it's okay, but I know you guys must have better ways.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2016, 06:34 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
Here's one from the archives. My summit back in summer 2009, first 360* camera mount I built, and first head tracker. How things have evolved since then!!! FFW to 2:25 for the good stuff!
https://vimeo.com/11614300
Good video for 2009.......interesting to see the wheels and suspension so clearly.......we don't get that these days.......the body gets in the way......
I was surprised that you didn't get mud and water sprayed all over the camera lens.
Jul 20, 2016, 06:40 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishi View Post
What are some good ways to stabilize a 2 foot antenna extension on the vtx? I'm using the dragon link 1.3 13cm dipole, on top of an extension. I've been trying some stuff with zip ties and it's okay, but I know you guys must have better ways.
You need to use plastic in preference to metal or carbon fibre for support........I found that 1mm dia. plastic rod running alongside the extension cable, then wrap both together with plastic spiral cable wrap...... not only holds them together but also adds a bit more stiffness to it.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Jul 20, 2016 at 07:16 AM.
Jul 20, 2016, 10:15 AM
Joe 6-pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
Here's one from the archives. My summit back in summer 2009, first 360* camera mount I built, and first head tracker. How things have evolved since then!!! FFW to 2:25 for the good stuff!
https://vimeo.com/11614300
Cameras sure have evolved but I like the 360 view and the tilt action to check your rig out which is still amazing.
Jul 22, 2016, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
Nice build........quite inspired.......but it looks rather heavy and unbalanced............hopefully that is not the case.......but at least with an air transmitter we do support the weight with the neck strap.......
Oh it's gotten even clunkier.... since I added the Jr module Bay to the front
This one is just mark1 for the next version I would like to 3D print a more compact "pretty" case.
Despite how clunky it looks it's actually going to end up lighter than the original 9XR Pro, super ergonomic and will also include a neck strap though I really don't think it will need one.
I'm currently on the hunt for another pistol that I think will fit pretty much all the electronics comfortably.
I have an idea for another plan to put the pistol grip behind the transmitter and put a wheel in the place of one of the gimbals. It pretty much just extends the throttle pot cord to the trigger and replaces the left gimbal with a wheel for steering leaving the right gimbal free to use for pan tilt... or use a 3 axis gimbal to steer pan and tilt.
Kinda loosely based on a radio I found on rcsurfer.com. dude custom made a pistol attachment for the back of an air radio.
So many ideas......
Jul 23, 2016, 03:59 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BofaDeez2Nuts View Post
Oh it's gotten even clunkier.... since I added the Jr module Bay to the front
This one is just mark1 for the next version I would like to 3D print a more compact "pretty" case.
Despite how clunky it looks it's actually going to end up lighter than the original 9XR Pro, super ergonomic and will also include a neck strap though I really don't think it will need one.
I'm currently on the hunt for another pistol that I think will fit pretty much all the electronics comfortably.
I have an idea for another plan to put the pistol grip behind the transmitter and put a wheel in the place of one of the gimbals. It pretty much just extends the throttle pot cord to the trigger and replaces the left gimbal with a wheel for steering leaving the right gimbal free to use for pan tilt... or use a 3 axis gimbal to steer pan and tilt.
Kinda loosely based on a radio I found on rcsurfer.com. dude custom made a pistol attachment for the back of an air radio.
So many ideas......

Interesting.......make sure that you keep us in the loop on your progress....
Jul 27, 2016, 03:41 PM
Dont talk to me , i'm driving!
Hi all,
I am starting to build a tonka summit body for my next FPV rig and i wondered if anyone here who has done the build is NOT using a gopro. (trying to avoi the pricetag!)
If anyone has experiance with other brands /models then any tips would be great.
Thanks, really looking forward to the end result.
Jul 28, 2016, 05:35 PM
FPV ground
1/12 fpv rc car scale:

Tamiya xr311 brushless first run FPV rc car (5 min 39 sec)
Jul 28, 2016, 08:13 PM
Two quick questions: what settings do you guys use for ground fpv? What I have now on my camera (Hs1777 I believe) seems kinda washed out and weird on the ground. It was better in the air.

Also I have a pan and tilt where there camera is directly mounted on the servo for pan and one servo is mounted on the camera for tilt. But the gear backlash is pretty loose which leads to vibration. Any solution? Or should I just buy a legit pan tilt setup?
Jul 29, 2016, 10:07 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxalu View Post
Nice run Traxx......the scale look of the truck is very good.......
Jul 29, 2016, 10:09 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweano View Post
Two quick questions: what settings do you guys use for ground fpv? What I have now on my camera (Hs1777 I believe) seems kinda washed out and weird on the ground. It was better in the air.

Also I have a pan and tilt where there camera is directly mounted on the servo for pan and one servo is mounted on the camera for tilt. But the gear backlash is pretty loose which leads to vibration. Any solution? Or should I just buy a legit pan tilt setup?
How about a couple of photos of your pan/tilt setup......as it would make it easier to comment.....
Jul 29, 2016, 08:38 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelf1000 View Post
Hi all,
I am starting to build a tonka summit body for my next FPV rig and i wondered if anyone here who has done the build is NOT using a gopro. (trying to avoi the pricetag!)
If anyone has experiance with other brands /models then any tips would be great.
Thanks, really looking forward to the end result.
I like the Mobius, very small and light compared to the GoPro, HD recording similar to (IMO) GoPro 1-2.
Has live video out for fpv, also can be externally powered (regulated 5v).
I love these things in the air, never tried on the ground as HD with live fpv feed.
Live vid out has the image letterboxed but on P&T doesn't really matter.
You can get an optional cam lense on ribbon cable extension too so as example if you wanted to place the cam in GI Joe's face and have the Mobius mounted behind, if you know what I mean.
No doubt there are other camera options out there these days but I do like the Mobius.
If anyone can chime in on the ground use of these, I'd also appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweano View Post

I agree with fpvsummituk, a picture is worth a thousand words
I don't use the hs1777 so I can't help you there, other than experimentation. Or is that a hs1177?
Is your pan/tilt the hobbyking variety? And what servos are you using? A lot of P&T "kits" and cheap P&T servos work fine for planes because once in the air there's next to no vibration compared to ground pounding. Some time ago I remember reading of guys who used spongy foam between the circular servo horn and the servo itself, also some guys used a cheap/soft plastic hose in the same place around the horn hub. Others used a small rubber band to apply a very light constant pressure against the offending servo to take up the backlash/freeplay.
Lately for my better builds I buy Hitec servos from Servocity and use their 180 degree mod for a few dollars extra. No doubt there'd be youtube tutorials on modding servos probably to 360 deg but I'd rather have the mod covered by warranty and quality servos generally have far less backlash.
The other thing is as all these experienced guys in here advise, make sure the panning servo is securely fastened very rigidly to the chassis/floor pan, attaching to the body, shell or interior will result in a lot of camera vibration and will exagerate the backlash.
Ages ago when I read all the experienced advice I tried it all for myself, including trying flexible mounts, but hard rigid mounting is the way to go.

Not a great help, but hope this helps to some degree
Aug 01, 2016, 12:52 PM
Tonka Summit Novice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishi View Post
I made an aluminium bracket to hold a glass fibre rod. It holds the blue beam antenna up great but isn't very forgiving in the event of a roll over.

Aug 01, 2016, 12:54 PM
Tonka Summit Novice
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxalu View Post
Great video! Brushless in a XR311!!! It must be the worlds fastest!!
Aug 02, 2016, 10:04 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
A couple of weeks ago I took the RockApe to Walron-on-the-Naze, where I spent a lot of my childhood vacations......so this is my "trip down memory lane".......but never seen from this close to the ground.......

I meant to mention........I'm over the moon with the Fatshark fan faceplate.......so comfortable to wear, and they just don't mist up anymore........

RockApe Visits Walton on the Naze 160716 (9 min 16 sec)
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Aug 02, 2016 at 02:02 PM.