This thread is privately moderated by Tram, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Thread OP
Discussion

Recommend a garbage disposal? 1/2 horse or 3/4 horse?

Hey guys-

The wifey wants a garabage disposal for her sink.. The house we bought does not have one..

So I told her I'd put one in..

Anyone have any disposal recommendations?

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Dec 19, 2007, 01:45 PM

InSinkerator

Hey Jeff, just did the in sink garbage disposer deal for my wife and I bought the best Insinkerator from HomeDepot. It is super quiet - can't even hear it and it reverses direction each time it's turned on in case it jams one way. Wife loves it and you know when the wife is happy-everybody happy!
Dec 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
How much did it run ya?

I'd like to spend in the $100-130 range..

Jeff
Dec 19, 2007, 02:23 PM

expensive

Mine was about $250.00 - I know there are some out there in your price range - try Lowes or even Sears has a few. Bud
Dec 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Yeh.. $250 seems to be what all the good ones cost..
Dec 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
Heres a good alternative here
Dec 31, 2007, 11:10 PM
Almost a Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
The wifey wants a garabage disposal for her sink.. The house we bought does not have one..
There may be a good reason why....

Many years ago shortly after I bought one of my rental houses the drain in the kitchen became clogged.
I normally would have rented a snake and cleared it myself but I was out of the country at the time so my wife called a Roto-Rooter guy.

They cleared the clog but told her that if they re-installed the existing garbage disposal they would not guarantee their work. They claimed that the diameter of drain pipes of older houses are smaller than more recent builds and clog much easier.

She left it off. Our daughter lives there now and it's been trouble free for many, many years.

Although our current home has a disposal (our first - it was here when we moved in 10 years ago) my wife never uses it. Since I hate working on plumbing (and so does she) we both decided a long time ago to put our garbage in an innovative place - the garbage can. We never get clogged drains. Or bent spoons.

I lost count how many times my poor Dad had to remove and unclog their disposal. My Mom insisted she have one and used it extensively - then again, she never had to work on it.

All those solid wastes people put down their garbage disposals have to be processed at your local sewage plant anyhow. It's never made sense to me to shove them done my drains.

Your "wifey" wouldn't like me. I'd just say NO. Or buy her some pipe wrenches.

If your house is old - good luck with your disposal.

In all fairness many people have and use them without problems. If you're smart about their use they can be trouble free. Kind of like a garbage can.
Last edited by Mauilvr; Jan 01, 2008 at 02:05 AM.
Jan 02, 2008, 12:00 PM
characters welcome!
You probably don't want to use one if you have a septic tank either. Too much solid waste that will fill it in short order requiring a pumpout. If you are on sewer, a good affordable 3/4 horse is the way to go.

mw

Quick Reply