In Harely we trust... - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Hostage-46, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hit my smoke....
Discussion

In Harely we trust...

It seems like ever since the first time I looked at Harely's Genie plans, I pondered, worried, obsessed about the cutting of the cores for the spar. I considered all kinds of wacky schemes to figure out a way to cut the spar with precision.

Finally, as he often does, Harley gave me a gentle nudge, and I just moved on. Sure enough, it was pretty simple. It turns out I can cut within the width of a fine line, any variation is handled easily with a sanding block.

So that hurtle complete, I move on to fabricating the spar, end caps and joiner boxes.

Off tomorrow to Knoxville for a business trip, "working from home" on Friday, I expect to make some progress.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm stalled out on a project ( not a Genie ), pondering cutting the spar. What way did you finally do it? Bandsaw? Hot wire? knife? Chainsaw? Ditch Witch?

-eric
Dec 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hit my smoke....
I used a bandsaw, cheap delta tools desktop thing. First I tried clamping in a fence, which is how I rip balsa strips, but the foam can compress and move, I found I could be just as accurate "free hand". I drew a very thin line on the core and just cut it carefully. I practiced with a few strips of scrap foam.

Ulitimately, by the time I finish the spar, it will be wider then the web I cut out. So absolute precision of the cut does not seem to be critical.

The variations in my cut were easily addressed with a sanding block. Similar approach to blocking the ends. When I finish the spar, I suspect I'll need to sand the leading and training pieces to get that final perfect fit within the core.

I considered a wire cut as well, that would be pretty simple, but it seemed like more more hassle given I really don't need it to be perfect.

If you have a bandsaw, go for it, if not use a the wire cutter, either way, press on!!

Quick Reply