Dec 14, 2007, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Air Rage MicroFighter

This is on the web, put out by ITC. >> http://www.interactivetoy.com/Manual...Manual_Eng.pdf

It is the original instruction manual I wrote. I do not know if this is what you will find in the box, but do not be mislead by it! In the Advanced Flight Techniques section it mentions the Easy Mode and the Pro Mode. That is only two modes. I must assume that all the production models, whether the StarScreamer or MicroFighter (they should be identical except for decals, unless they changed something again!), have in fact 3 Modes >>

Mode 1 / DEFAULT "Idiot" mode: > In addition to the power-smoothing damping done in Mode 2 (see which below), if a turn input is held too long while in any of the top motor-power (throttle) positions, the program would automatically and momentarily reduce power to increase or create a turn for an inexperienced user (and repeat cycle if turn stick is still held too long). Enter by first switching on Rx, then Tx.

Mode 2 / "Normal" mode: > Rapid power input changes are time-averaged to give a smooth flight AND eliminate the possibility of sudden nose-ups and thus NO tight turns are possible in this mode. Steadies nervous pilot and nervous little plane. Enter by first switching on Rx, then, while holding right Tx stick (L/R) all the way RIGHT, switch on Tx. Hold right stick RIGHT until LED on Tx blinks 3 times and then remains lit.

Mode 3 / "Aerobatic" (unfiltered) mode. Enter by first switching on Rx, then, while holding right Tx stick (L/R) all the way LEFT, switch on Tx. Hold right stick LEFT until LED on Tx blinks 6 times and then remains lit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further, note that the motors are shown on the fins. If you can, UNmod this plane and put the motors back where they belong!: ON THE FINS ! >> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704454 (pls see especially page 17 and on). Note also that one should normally fly this plane (UNmodded!) with the landing gear removed (and trust me: NEVER tape the landing gear on, AND always check after landing that you pick them up if knocked off on landing!).
Last edited by xlcrlee; Dec 14, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2007, 05:51 AM
Thread OP
The photo shown on the Future Shop website is of my original design MicroFighter, before "they" decided to degrade its performance by moving the motors onto the wings, thereby letting it only fly fast, whereas the UNmodded original design can fly both fast AND slow, AND make very tight maneuvers on command! >>
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...093080&catid=#
Note the slight anhedral which was also a part of my original design, which allowed intense manueverability, but I finally agreed that this was perhaps too difficult for the mass-market (if you feel adventurous you can "try this at home" using a hairdrier to bend in some anhedral and lots more flying excitement).

I doubt if this is how it will come out of the box now, but I would be very happy to find out otherwise.
Dec 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
How much anhedral would you recommend Lee, 5 degrees maybe?
Dec 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stihl88
How much anhedral would you recommend Lee, 5 degrees maybe?
No more than this >>
Dec 14, 2007, 10:48 PM
Have fun
yo Lee is this that one plane still on the shelves?????
Dec 15, 2007, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
I am guessing RS has some StarScreamer versions left....and the exact same plane with different decals, which we are told is now being sold as the MicroFighter (with the motors still on the wings!), can be found at Macy's online, Future Shop, and the others mentioned in the ITC link (plus what you can discover by Google-ing "MicroFighter"). You can also ask ITC these things yourself.
Dec 15, 2007, 02:05 AM
Suspended Account
Thanks for the Anhedral help Lee...
Dec 15, 2007, 02:17 AM
Thread OP

check all flying surfaces

For reference, it would be smart for everyone to also check horizontal and vertical stabilizer angles, especially the vert stabs from the front and the horiz stabs from the side for correct negative incidence ("up") and from the front for correct stab anhedral. Use a strong hairdrier to gently correct if needed.
Dec 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
I was at Macy's today and they had run out of these microfighters.
All r/c toys were 40% off. this microfighter had an original price tag or $79
and with the sale is $48. I'd rather get two starscreams from RS instead
of one of these ;-)
-Francis
Dec 15, 2007, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
The two "versions" should be identical except for a few months longer in the "pipeline", some decals .... and the price
Dec 15, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thread OP

important info (in case you missed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed
I just finished UNmodding my Starscream. For the most part I followed Lee's instructions but did a couple of things differently:

1) Used Target's green invisible tape which is very sticky and strong. Some people have reported great success when building foamies with that tape. It is different from the 3M invisible tape.
2) I removed the motors so that I could reuse the small plastic mounting brackets. I used the factory method to attach the motors back - found exactly the right type of double sided tape from Air Hogs UBI package. A round toothpick proved very handy in making holes to the foam (for motor wires and mounts). I secured the small brackets with a drop of CA after pushing them in place.

I have not done any flight testing yet but I think I got the thrust angles right. The mounting method allows fine tuning the motor angle.

I cut the motor wires about 8mm apart to allow clean removal. This allowed me to add 33nF capacitors to the wires when soldering the wires back, heat shrink was not required.

And now the most positive thing:

I reported a not so good radio range earlier. It was clearly noticeable inside my house even - a range test from 30 feet away even with extended TX antenna would leave the motors running for an extra second or two quite often. Since the motors always started quickly when throttle was applied, I guessed that the motors are a likely source of RFI and once started, the reception would suffer and lead to that delay.

After adding the 33nF caps, I do not have that problem any more, even with antenna all the way in. Throttle and steering responds immediately!

Well, it sure looks good but I cannot say anything final before doing some flight testing. I just hope we will have warmer and calm weather for the weekend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
Finnspeed, YOU are my hero. Not only do I think that your motor-attachment procedure is great (assuming it survives ground-bashing) .... but you solved BOTH the range and "non-instantaneity" problem. I always strongly suspected that the motor-wires were involved with this issue, because the range was fine with the motors on the vertical stabilizers, where they were when I left the factory before actual production, and since I have NEVER had my hands on one of these "stock"/"factory-modded" motor-on-wings ones. Thank you on behalf of us all!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
hang on I'll check that ....so 27 with 3 zeros..yea your rite..Ok..thats the value of the center cap in the 3 cap config. Ok..now I have my thinking cap on..I have not thought about cap sizing in a while but now I am..Ok..so my objective here is to share more noise filter configurations to use in these r\c planes to improve range and performance so I'm with you not against you.

yea..those freakin cap markings will mess with your mind for sure.

I'll be back tomorrow to continue this...rite now its late and I'm making some mistakes as I'm tired..we will get this ironed out then..

modfly out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed
Well, we have to agree that we are not in disagreement - if that makes any sense

And you have an interesting point when you recommend trying to connect one of the wires to the motor case even with single capacitor configuration. It probably helps but my experience from EMC lab says it should be the non-switching wire that is connected to the metal part. I cannot be sure though since I have not tested this.
Dec 30, 2007, 07:45 PM

slightly ot question

These planes are on sale at Macy and I have purchased some and may go back for more- is there a big difference between 27 mhz and 49 mhz with these?
tia
sparx22
Dec 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
Have fun
should be the same difference as the starscream.
Dec 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
should be the same difference as the starscream.
I don't have a starscream, sorry I am new at this hobby.
sparx22
Dec 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
27mhz gives you a range of about ten feet! I'm not kidding!
49mhz range is about 150ft.

Quick Reply