Dec 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radical RC Das Mini Bipe Build

Ok boys, here is a soon to be released kit of ours. Das Mini Bipe Stick. Like the Mini Stick, this model comes with alternate tail and wing tip parts so you can make the sport or WWII look you desire. I'll be sending out a couple of beta builds on this model in the next couple of weeks. I expect kits to be available in 1-2 weeks. It's a real hoot! Top wingspan is 23" here, just like the Mini Stick. Both wings have pop-off features so the model goes together quick and in a crash should flop apart with minimal injury. Notice no N struts or flying wires. It's fully cantalievered. Spoke covers, machine guns and landing gear will be included. The decal kit is an extra. I've also got decals for a British look designed but none on any models for photo yet.

Also, the parts are predrilled and setup for 6-32 nylon if you prefer wing bolts. I've choosen a novel way to connect the aileron transfer rods that I don't think has ever been done before. I won't describe it here, we'll let the beta builders tell us.

The decal sets are done in the best spirit of "Toung In Cheek Scale". But, I think you'll agree it sure does add a touch of spirit to the model.

You might notice the wheels. Lets just say this model has had one successful campaign but too bad it had to ditch in a muddy field!

This is the second prototype we've built and flown so we've had enough development flights to be certain it lives up to standards.

I've flown them with GWS Brushless outrunner #1 on 6-3 and 6-4 props as well as the GWS S300 inrunner brushed with 4x2.5 prop.

So far, I like the barnstormer nature of the 6" prop setups the best. It's a little fast on the S-300 to fit my original vision but still a great power system.

This model's building, covering and mechanicals by Ron Lamsdale here in our shop.

Flying it is a real dream. You won't believe how clean it feels. You can chop the throttle and glide around like a trainer. It's the only bipe I've ever flown that did not come to a draggy stop soon as the power was curtailed. This one is nice and clean.

Happy Flying!
Dave
Last edited by radicalrc; Jan 08, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, Dave great job! That thing looks nice and I bet it flies like a dream. If you are looking for BETA builders I will gladly wave my hand and line up to build one.

Keep up the great work!

Dan
Dec 13, 2007, 10:10 PM
Nice looking plane Dave. I love the Micro Stick and fly it most days during my lunch hour. This might be my next toy.
Dec 14, 2007, 10:40 AM
Who put that TREE there!!
Sweet looking bird Dave, do you know what the kits are going to run?
Dec 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
Timelord
Dave,

The bipe looks nice and I see it is based on one flown by Ernst Udet in WWI.

Do you know what the wing area and flying weight is on this model?

Thanks
Dec 14, 2007, 02:04 PM
a corker to the needy!

New Mini-bipe...

Dave,
looks cool,I mean hot...I think this would be perfect for my E-Flite 300 on 3s...I guess its gonna finish about 6.5 ozs with how many sq. inch wing..??
Dec 14, 2007, 09:59 PM
It'll work this time!
Man, that looks like I'm just going to *have* to have one.

Looking forward to spending more money on RadicalRC madness!
Dec 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Mini Bipe Specifications:
Wing Area Upper 132sq"
Wing Area Lower 111sq"
Wing Area Total 243sq"
Weight 8-9.5 oz.
CG Lower Wing LE .25" in front of main spar
Battery: 740mah or greater.

Spec's as published in the instructions to come.
Dec 14, 2007, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Dave,

The bipe looks nice and I see it is based on one flown by Ernst Udet in WWI.

Do you know what the wing area and flying weight is on this model?

Thanks
It's really just based on our Mini Stick design. I like D VII and read Udet's story a couple of years ago. I thought it would be fun to offer a decal set in the spirit of that airplane. Certainly it's no scale airplane. The tail shape, aileron shape lower wing cord and length are wrong. But, with the right decals it sure adds a ton of personality. And, I like WWI style airplanes.

Perhaps Jim Beagle could get the covering correct and the shapes. If you look up his Micro Bipe, he did a similar treatment to it.

I plan to do a stars and bars decal set also. Probably based on the PT series. I'll have to look up some aircraft documentation and figure out what would best represent the "spirit" of those airplanes.

Dave
Last edited by radicalrc; Jan 08, 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Jan 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Here are some shots of the kit in British trim. Ron built this one in the shop for himself and so we could have a web photo for the decal kit.

Luger007 has a mini build review going in another thread. I'm expecting the wood for the kit to be delivered to me next week. We just received the Mini Low Stick cut so it's just packaging now.

Dave
Jan 25, 2008, 10:09 PM
Timelord
Nice

What kind of covering are you using?
Jan 26, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Suprise! It's Nelson/Solite green and yellow. The green is a rarely used color because it's clearly a military green I don't think we've ever put it on a model before. For a WWI look it's perfect.

The radiator does not show it's glory well enough in the photo. It's some type of very fine expanded aluminum material Ron had in "going to use this someday" box. It's being held on by the motor screws.

I've done several decal sheets now. They will work well with all my Micro and Mini Series kits. They are fun to do and add lots of character. Think about it, this model is simply covered in all green, yellow on the bottom of each wing and a white rudder. No seaming, striping or other tricks. It's all in the decals here.

Dave
Jan 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
a corker to the needy!

Mini-Bipe..

Looks good Dave,I'm gonna have to order one of those,maybe you'll have a few kits with you at the Owosso,Mich (Baker College)swap meet..next (Super Bowl)Sunday.I know you've been there before,but maybe not this year 'cause of gas prices,etc.Anyway,it looks good in green too,I'm surprised you did it without outboard struts,it sure would be a floater at 9 ozs and 240+ sq./in wing.BTW,it's still waaay too cold for my low wing Mini-maiden...it's ready tho.
Mar 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
Dave,
what is the setup in the first picture (red fokker)? It is very clean looking setup Have you considered the Jenny scheme for one of the decal setups. And, do you have some pictures of the electronics installed?
Thanks again
jim
Mar 21, 2008, 04:44 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
http://polygonpete.blogspot.com/

Dave, here are a few Peanut scale bi-planes that can be used to model the Bipe after
Just scroll down the page and double click on the image you want to enlarge

Any one of these works for me, especially the pilot figures.

jim

Quick Reply