Dec 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Draco coroplast wing build

Being in the sign industry for 12+ years I have handled a lot of coroplast. Little did I know until Kiam told me a bout the beatle that you can build SPADS. I got more coroplast scraps then I know what to do with. Un fortunately 4mm never the less I got a lot of it so...
I decided to throw something together... then the “Draco terror of the sky” caught my eye. never building a plane with coroplast I am giving it a wack and I think its looking pretty good so far.

to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat

looks good

but if your going to fly it the CG will be tough to achieve.

I flew many spads in my glow days. Still have a soft spot for them.

Dan
Dec 13, 2007, 06:34 PM
Looks good, Are you going to slope it or power it?
Dec 13, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
im thinking that id like to slope it but agreed the cg is going to be toughf. so im afraid i might have to power it which is cool because there seems to be no wind in the right direction and lots of wind in the rong direction lately
Dec 13, 2007, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
This thing weighs 24oz with no electronics. and im not sure I like the top air foil shape so I am planning to:
1. add balsa ribs to shape the air foil better. ( adds weight but improves air foil)
2. replace the top skin with 2mm coroplast which is 4mm in pic's.
3. use a lighter thinner material for the tail and winglets

I also see that the direction of the corrigation makes a diffrence in how it will hold shape. So instead of running the top corragation latterly im going to run them perpendiculary. allowing the coroplast to have a better even tention across the bend, instead of bending between the corragation. At first I thought that you need to run them latterly so the plane would be more ridged but I can see the spar really takes care of that for you, however I will keep the bottom 4 mill and keep them lateraly for extra rigity.

I would really like to make this a sloper but I dont think this wing design will work to well with out a fuse if you guys have any input or suggestions please educate me!
Dec 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
Make a fuse 4mm and tail group 4mm, make a slope stick spad.
Dec 13, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ken,
Looks nice.
Yes, I agree with Minhuahua. Add fuse like the power version. You can then locate the battery at the fwd end.
Hope to fly our SPAD's together at Bluff park in Long Beach.
Dec 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
Detail Freak
On version 2, if you build the wing upside down, you will have a bit of dihedral, rather than a bit of anehedral....

Looks cool!

T
Dec 14, 2007, 01:13 AM
certified insomniac

spad

Looks great. Waiting for mark 2 and a flight report.
Use a heat gun to shape the correx.

Get some scrap epp and build a nice nose on that wing to get the cg right. Then it will look like most flying planks.
Should fly great.

Cheers

Dion
Dec 14, 2007, 01:33 AM
certified insomniac

Straight leading edge

What about a straight leading edge so that when you fold the leading edge you dont have to have the join on the top of the wing which should make the structure much stronger. Then put the epp nose to balance the cfg.

Cheers Dion
Dec 14, 2007, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
coro fuse ? or epp ? and then wouldent it look like a JW ? HMMMM ideas ideas. I love the shape of the wing as it is. It looks like a sting ray, it has a real mean look to it. If I do put a fuse on it it would be a real thin slender one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooo maby I could make a detachable fuse so I could go powered or slope!!! thats a dope idea!

and it dose have dihedral. It dosent show up well in the pic when I push one wing down flat on the table the other side is off the table 1/4 of an inch. is that enough for a 40" wingspan ?
Dec 14, 2007, 03:34 AM
certified insomniac
Well that does it. I have sent out one of my staff to go and get me some correx. Will be going with the plank design with fuse to get the cg forward.
In South Africa we have a correx that the flutes are in S shape and not a straight line. This makes it alot stronger as well. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Dion
Dec 14, 2007, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggx
In South Africa we have a correx that the flutes are in S shape and not a straight line. This makes it alot stronger as well. Will keep you posted.

Dion
s shape ???? please post a pic!
Dec 14, 2007, 05:32 AM
certified insomniac

different correx

Will post pictures when I get it in my hands.
The flutes are in a bit of a waivy pattern. Stops the correx from crashing easy when step on. The two main used for correx is sign boards and protect flooring in the construction industry. So this design is to stop it compressing.
Might be slightly heaver but will be alot stronger.

Cheers Dion
Dec 14, 2007, 10:33 AM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxStarr
and it dose have dihedral. It dosent show up well in the pic when I push one wing down flat on the table the other side is off the table 1/4 of an inch. is that enough for a 40" wingspan ?

Sorry, as you mention, it's tough to tell from the picture.
NO dihedral is fine; but most planes fly better with a little bit of it.
Typically that little bit results in the top of the wing being flat at the high spot of the airfoil, and the bottom then just sweeps up the amount the tips thin and taper.

As for the fuse, you look pretty handy with the corro; so I'd say do a corro fuse.

I'd just make another wing, and have one plane powered, one a sloper, rather than a removable nose.
That'll allow you to make any changes to the wing you might want in the second one, too, and a bigger wider fuse for the battery in the E-version.

G/L,

Target

Quick Reply