Dec 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Download

Short Sunderland

My Sunderland, built twelve years ago, is still going strong. From a distance, the battle scars are not too obvious.

I have had many requests for plans. At long last, here they are.

Before the waterplane enthusiasts get too excited, I must point out that this is a "dry boat". It has not been designed to be waterproof or seaworthy.I don't have ready access to suitable water, but that does not prevent me from flying models of marine aircraft from the club field.

Plans in the following posts.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2007, 10:06 AM
Very nice! Another landlubber flying boat!

We have one field that is grass and is usually fairly long, making planes with LG a pain. I built a Dare (Midkiff) PBY for the same reason, it lands very well on grass. It is really kinda cool to do 'touch and goes' off grass too.

One of these days I'll do something so I can takeoff from grass as well (wings tip and tip floats 'grab' at the grass).

Glad yours is doing well.

charlie
Dec 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thanks Peter. That's wonderful, an early Christmas!

Mike
Dec 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
that sunderland looks great....really great. What is the wingspan/scale?
Dec 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Peter. Always had admired your planes at the old Electric Flight magazine. I'll put this on my long "to do" list
Dec 12, 2007, 08:54 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Peter - many thanks for sharing all your hard work with us.

Pat
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
Dec 13, 2007, 04:42 AM
brennanj2
Peter,

I have just completed dowloading your pages.Thank you for sharing you wonderful model with us..

It is the first time I have seen a plan of the sunderland anywhere on the net and it is one of my absolute must builds. Unfortunately it will be a little time before I can get to it as the prospect of managing a four engine aircraft is extremely daunting, particularly as I have not as yet progressed off one engine aircraft. However with time and luck it will be done. Thank you once again.

John
Dec 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
Reserved Parking
Nice!

Thankyou very much!
Jan 15, 2008, 11:11 PM
Wow Peter, a stunning model and beautifully-drawn plans. Very kind of you to make the plans freely available. Thanks much,

Luke
Jan 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
Two left thumbs
When might we expect to see yours, Luke?

A delightful project! Thanks for posting it! I notice that at 1/24 scale its weight, wing area, and power loading are very similar to that projected for the 1/12 scale bird I'm building. Very interesting!
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Jan 15, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Jan 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
For those of you contemplating a Short Sunderland flying boat, I have a great set of plans in high resolution .PDF format I can e-mail. Just e-mail me at rcarswellsr@att.net and be sure to mention Short Sunderland. No charge.

Beware . . .its BIG!

Planeman
Last edited by planeman; Feb 13, 2009 at 01:39 AM.
Jan 17, 2008, 09:55 AM
Peter would you do us the honours and add a link please to the Waterplanes Sticky for this one its a beauty and Im pretty sure someone will make it ROW.
Jan 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Peter,

I just saved your plans. Wow, what a beautiful model and what a generous act. I hope you'll inspire more of us to post our plans for free.

Steve

Quick Reply