Dec 12, 2007, 09:30 AM
Student of Ivan
Build Log

Blackburn Beverley Build Blog Begun

Finally, after too many "real life" things getting in the way, my Ivan's plans Blackburn Beverley is finally commenced!

The Beverely is alot like the Solent I built earlier this year, with wheels of course. Construction is very similar but don't look for this one to progress as fast as that one did ( right Luke?) Also, I'll try not repeat anything covered by Perry in his thread but may do so anyway anyway

To start, a trip to the local Kinko's and a bunch of 11 x 17 copies of sections of the plans for use as templates in cutting parts. One thing on this subject, resist the offer by the friendly folks at your copyshop to use their nifty huge roll sheet copier to reproduce one large copy of the plans. While most folks are honest and will only use the copies made for templates, it would be in bad taste to have the entire plan reproduced in it's entirety and be tempted to profit or otherwise cut into Mr. Pettigrews meager profit (if any) from his plan business. Besides, Ivan is way too nice of guy to do this to. Okay enough preaching...Usually I'll use 3M 75 (NOT 77) adhesive for temporarily attaching the templates to the balsa for cutting but 3M 75 is getting hard to find locally so this time I'm using Duro "All-Purpose Spray Adhesive" procured at the local Walmart. and it seems to work very well if used per the directions for a temporary bond, that is a light coat .

After attaching the copies to the balsa, cut out the parts leaving a good 1/8" outside the finished edge. Then using a disc sander (or "Glorious Sander" if you're fortunate enough to have one) take the part down to within 1/64" of the finish line.

I'll then finish up with the sanding bar to get it right where I want it.

If you use a Delta or similar disc sander, be sure your fence is square to the disc

or you'll get this (my first try):

Here's a couple of hours of work:

Since one of the requirements was some rather stiff balsa sticks for the fuse, I wanted to cut my own. While I have and regularly use a Master Airscrew balsa stripper, I've never had much sucess stripping hard balsa with it, so I employed my trusty Micromark table saw:

Finished 3/16" square sticks:

And the Beverley's fuselage (some assembly required):

A good rule in scratchbuilding - "Buy lots of balsa, throw most of it away":

More shall follow...

John
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
One cell short of a Pack

Wohoo!

Way to go John! I haven't unrolled my Beverly plans since I got them - My work table is still not big enough.

I'll be watching this with interest!

Good luck and many, many pictures!!!

Cheers,
Steve
Dec 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Fly2Build.com
John,

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to watching your "glorious" progress on this big girl.

Have fun !

Mike
Dec 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
AMA 670207
Uh oh.
Looks like I got some catching up to do!

Perry
Dec 12, 2007, 06:27 PM
Student of Ivan
Just realized I failed to post any pics of what I'm building for those who may not be familiar with the Beverley. Here's the Master himself and the subject of this build (pic by LukeZ):

And the Beverley at Farnborough in '56. I'm torn between finishing mine in this early pre-deployment scheme or the later desert camo scheme.

But NOT this version (as featured on "Laugh-in", or was it "Benny Hill" )

This was No. 84 Squadron just before transfer to Shawbury for break up and disposal. Aaaahhh, the 60's, kinda glad I was too young to remember them...

John
Dec 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442

And the Beverley at Farnborough in '56. I'm torn between finishing mine in this early pre-deployment scheme or the later desert camo scheme.

But NOT this version (as featured on "Laugh-in", or was it "Benny Hill" )

John
Good lord! Acid Trippin'.... it's like the yellow submarine..

Chime in now...

We all live in a Blackburn Bever-ly..a Blackburn Bever-ly..a Blackburn Bever-ly
Dec 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
96RC/3178W
Good luck to you John! Is this going to be anther 3 month'er?

~Matt
Dec 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
Student of Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
We all live in a Blackburn Bever-ly..a Blackburn Bever-ly..a Blackburn Bever-ly
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Good luck to you John! Is this going to be anther 3 month'er?

~Matt
No, we'll likely be eating corn on the cob before this one flies...

John
Dec 17, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yikes! Can't believe I missed this thread! Sign me up for sure.

Interesting to see John that you're using the ol' heater filter and box fan trick...

Quote:
No, we'll likely be eating corn on the cob before this one flies...
That's ok, sometimes we don't want to finish too fast!

Luke

EDIT: I almost forgot! I just remembered to add this thread to the list of build threads in the Ivan sticky.

Who will be the first to have a Beverley in the Ivan Hall of Fame? Who will be the first to have a Beverley video posted in the Ivan sticky? Stay tuned!
Last edited by LukeZ; Dec 17, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
Dec 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
96RC/3178W
How do you do that so fast???????

-Matt
Dec 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
Student of Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
How do you do that so fast???????

-Matt
I gotta get done before Perry does...

Actually, the Beverley is quite similar to the Solent, so I had a better understanding of how things went together going into this project. That still didn't prevent minor mistakes though (see pic of tail boom and cargo doors in last post ).

Only 9 months until the Midwest Regional Float Fly Matt...We're going to do some Solent formation flying, right?

John
Dec 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
96RC/3178W
Well the real question is who will win Scale?????!!?!?!?
I really need to finnish mine, even though thats a long way off.

-Matt
Dec 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
I gotta get done before Perry does...
Dec 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
It actually Flies!
Looking very good Mountainman,

Where did you find the Chop saw and nice little table saw?

You have to love this aircraft as a chubby face that only the mother could love!!

Float Flyer

Quick Reply