May 18, 2010, 11:47 PM
Wow, That sounds great. What I was wanting to hear. I'm glad you got yours back together.
I like the 60's/70's paint scheme, is it scale?
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
I don't think the paint scheme is actually scale. I looked at a whole bunch of pictures and some of them were similar. Here's one web site.
Charles.
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...80%20Commander
May 25, 2010, 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap. It is good to hear about the positive flight characteristics though! How much did it end up weighing when you were finished. (yours does have retracts right?)

Thanks and great job on that repair!

Mike
May 26, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Mike, thanks. The all up weight including 2 x 2200 3s packs is 4.5 lbs. Yes I have retracts, MAP micros with my own trailing link struts. They work very well and survived the "hard" landing. The mains don't rotate so there is about 3/8" of the wheel showing under the nacelles. Not noticeable in flight.
Charles.
Jul 05, 2010, 05:06 PM
Stilwell Shipyard

Maiden Flight - Shrike passed Builder flunked

Within minutes of the Shrike landing after a successful maiden flight this builder collapsed. I felt fine but could not stand or walk. I could not get into the car to go home. I have now just recovered from pneumonia they wrote me off for a while. When I recovered I could not walk not even lift an exacto. I been in rehab since the 21st of May. It is a joy to look at the photos as I do not remember much. Enjoy

Hurricane Larry
Jul 15, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Larry, sorry to hear about your problem, hope you're making a full recovery. I had a blackout myself just over a month ago. I feel great and am waiting for results of tests to find out what the problem was or is. It must be something to do with the excitment of building the Shrike!!
Get well soon,
Charles.
Jul 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
Stilwell Shipyard
I have made a good recovery not 100% but close and capable of not cutting myself with a balsa knife.

Thanks
Larry
Sep 17, 2010, 03:39 PM
"Takeoffs are optional"
just about have mine ready to maiden.. quick question for the other owners, where did you all end up putting your lipos, fuse center section or in the wing nacelles? What is the final ruling on CG location? my plans and instructions make no mention of how many inches aft of leading edge it should be and i know there was some discussions on this thread early on about where to put it.

I wanted to place my 1500 mah lipos in the nacelles but quickly realized today once it was all together the plane wants to sit on its tail even with the lipos in the nacelles all the way forward. anyone else have this issue? i will now have to relocate them into the fuse and run some longer leads to reach them.
Sep 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
"Takeoffs are optional"
ok so i finally finished my aero commander
all up weight with two 1500 mah lipos installed one in each nacelle is 4 pounds 3 oz

this is before i CG the plane, plane is stock with all recommended gear, no retracts. it comes out extremely tail heavy. it requires me to add 9 oz of weight to the nose to get the cg to come in per plans.... putting my all up ready to fly weight now at 4 lbs 12 oz.
Anyone else have this issue?

this really concerns me that i have to add so much weight to the nose to get it in balance. i would be better off moving the lipos to the fuse and using them to balance it instead of adding weight. i would need to build a hatch though or just remove the wing every flight.

i know a lot of you added retracts and still came in at or below my weight....

I need some advice or help here
Sep 20, 2010, 07:55 PM
"Takeoffs are optional"
Got an email from John at top notch kits today, he says that he flew some early prototypes at my weight with lipos in the nacelles and ballast weight for CG in the nose. He said it flew fine in that configuration but mentioned it landed faster (hotter) and roll rates were faster.
He recommends though that everyone place the lipos in the fuse to aid in balance of the plane without the need for ballast, lighter planes land slower and fly easier.
Sep 20, 2010, 08:00 PM
"Takeoffs are optional"
my ready to fly weight is 4 lbs 5 oz
electrifly rimfire .10's for power with master airscrew 9x7 3 blade props
each motor produces 358 watts power at 30 amps draw full throttle
total of 716 watts power giving me roughly 166 watts per pound
this will be overkill at full power but allows me to get off my grass strip easily and throttle waaaaay back for leisurely cruising at modest amp draws for longer flights
Sep 26, 2010, 01:41 PM
Stilwell Shipyard
Put the batteries in the nose. A light plane always flies better. I did and it works fine.
Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
"Takeoffs are optional"
maidened it this weekend. she flew great. got about 3 minutes into the flight and the motors started surging so i made an immediate landing to check it out. seems they run fine at full power until i start moving the servos then they surge as if the bec on the speed controls arent enough to power them or something. i have both rimfire esc's Y'ed together into the throttle. I have done this configuration on my b-17 with 4 esc's Y'ed together and had no issues so i am going to have to investigate. could be i got a bad solder joint on my wires, not sure. i cut off the deans connectors at the esc's, lengthened the leads so they reach into the fuse then soldered both esc leads into one deans connector and used a single flightpower 4350mah 25c lipo. I am going to try disabling the bec function and running a 750mah nimh rx pack and see if that solves the problem... on a side note, when i originaly powered each motor with their own 2200 lipo in each nacelle i made 360 watts per side totalling 720 watts power. now that i Y'd both esc power leads through a single deans and use a single 4350 lipo, i only get 540 watts total power, 270 watts per side. i lost 90 watts per side or a total of 180 watts, and the amps went from 30 amps per motor at full to 25 amps per motor at full, my lipo can handle 107 amps continuos so i dont think thats the issue, any ideas? maybe it is lost through bottle necking through the one deans or the length of the leads,or again a cold solder joint. i did use bigger gauge leads though to prevent the voltage drop. esc's have 12 awg and i used 14awg to lengthen them to the fuse.

it is still plenty of power but just wish i had that 180 watts back that i was making before so it would fly faster.

Quick Reply