X-Trainer Build - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2007, 09:57 PM
East Coast Slacker
I can't wait to get started, I decided to go with black and transparent yellow Monokote maybe chrome ailerons too. For power I went with a BP A2217-9. Anyone else building one?
Dec 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbragdon
I can't wait to get started, I decided to go with black and transparent yellow Monokote maybe chrome ailerons too. For power I went with a BP A2217-9. Anyone else building one?
I would use Ultracote instead of Monokote. Ultracote is lighter and you will have a easier time with the wing tips.

James
Dec 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
East Coast Slacker
I already ordered the Monokote with hopes that it would be more durable, maybe ultracote on the wingtips only?
Dec 11, 2007, 10:55 PM
If this is your first covering project, I would definitely use Ultracote. I have covered this model with Monokote. It is difficult to do the tips. You can probably get away with doing the tips only in Ultracote. I have done that also.

Covering

Recommended covering: Solite is the lightest. However, it punctures easily. I like to use transparent Ultracote. I use Monokote for my travel models because of its durability. The model flies well with almost any covering.

MAIN WING: Tack all four corners first; just like you are putting a sheet on a bed. Keep wrinkles to a minimum. Use low heat just in case you mess-up. This way you can pull the covering off and start over. Then tack the middle leading and trailing edge. Next tack the middle tip and middle/center of the center decking. Now turn the heat up. Run the iron up the main spar and start pulling the covering over the leading and trailing edge while ironing it down. Save the wing tips for last. I typically have about 2 of overhang on the covering when doing the wing. After you trim it off, you can use the leftover for the ailerons.

Wing Tips: I use a heat gun at high setting and divide the wrinkles evenly throughout the wing tip. I then use the heat to shrink out the wrinkles. At the same time I am pulling and stretching around the wing tip edge. I also use my fingers to brace the wing tip to prevent it from breaking. Use your thumb and index finger to grip the covering and the remaining fingers push the opposite side of the tip you are covering. If you have a hot grip glove it helps. Ultra cote is best, but you should be able to get good results with Monokote. The yellow plane below is covered with Monokote.
Dec 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
East Coast Slacker
I'm in the process of ordering the ultracote now, oh well I guess I have a couple rolls of Monokote for another project. Now I gotta buy something else to use up the Monokote!!!!!
Dec 11, 2007, 11:17 PM
Quote:
I'm in the process of ordering the ultracote now, oh well I guess I have a couple rolls of Monokote for another project. Now I gotta buy something else to use up the Monokote!!!!!
Wise choice!
Dec 11, 2007, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Wise choice!
Dec 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
East Coast Slacker
It's here.......................................now, to get started.
Dec 14, 2007, 10:06 PM
East Coast Slacker
The wing is all tack glued except for a few spots, more to do tomorrow.
Dec 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
Quote:
The wing is all tack glued except for a few spots, more to do tomorrow.
Your not going to sleep with that wing are you?

Looking good!
Dec 14, 2007, 10:15 PM
East Coast Slacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Your not going to sleep with that wing are you?

Looking good!
It looks so good I just might!!!!! The bed was the darkest background I could find for the picture.
Dec 14, 2007, 10:16 PM
East Coast Slacker
I sent you an email inquiring about hardware.
Dec 20, 2007, 06:42 PM
East Coast Slacker
Just recieved the x-gear today, need more glue, and still waiting for the ultracote.

Mike
Dec 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Just recieved the x-gear today, need more glue, and still waiting for the ultracote.

Mike
Are you ready to cover?