Oct 09, 2021, 02:26 PM
one cant have too many planes
I can fly all my planes (over 20 from gliders to jets) very well. But I have limited experience flying in complete darkness. Last night, I flew my glider from the previous post and the ultrix with leds. The glider was very visible. The ultrix was very visible when I selected a pattern that kept the whole plane lit up. When I selected a few running leds, I had problems with orientation. My advice is: if you are new to night flying, make the whole plane light up. Just a few leds at the end of the wings are great when it is getting dark, or to make it look cool on the ground. But when it is completely dark, a few leds will not be sufficient for you to keep up with the orientation of your plane.
Last edited by pesp; Oct 10, 2021 at 01:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2021, 03:03 AM
Low, Fast and Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesp
I can fly all my planes (over 20 from gliders to jets) very well. But I have limited experience flying in complete darkness. Last night, I flew my glider from the previous post and the ultrix with leds. The glider was very visible. The ultrix was very visible when I selected a pattern that kept the whole plane lit up. When I selected a few running leds, I had problems with orientation. My advice is: if you are new to night flying, make the whole plane light up. Just a few leds at the end of the wings are great when it is getting dark, or to make it look cool on the ground. But when it is completely dark, a few leds will not be sufficient for you to keep up with the orientation of your plane.
That's where MudLED from MUD-DART RC is awesome. You can setup the LED's however you want, just using any wifi device, phone, tablet whatever.
You can also have different modes setup at the same time that you can then switch between while in flight using you transmitter.
Can get em from RDQ or Aloft Hobbies in the USA or Fossils Stuff in the UK.

MUDLED - LEDs Easier and Your Way (0 min 30 sec)

FPV Night Flight (3 min 3 sec)

https://muddart.nz/
Oct 12, 2021, 03:03 PM
one cant have too many planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclags
That's where MudLED from MUD-DART RC is awesome. You can setup the LED's however you want, just using any wifi device, phone, tablet whatever.
You can also have different modes setup at the same time that you can then switch between while in flight using you transmitter.
Can get em from RDQ or Aloft Hobbies in the USA or Fossils Stuff in the UK.
Indeed very cool. Thanks. Not that cheap though for just driving some leds. But great for those that can’t program their own arduino.

I will first experiment with some cheaper options. I had already programmed a cheap arduino board to drive ws2812 leds on my drone, so will see how that works out for my flying wing. I am planning to build in some some static leds for very low power as well as some ws2812 leds for the effects. I will put them on separate connectors so I can choose what to turn on based on the mood I am in. Will post some pictures when done.
Oct 14, 2021, 03:17 PM

Mud V2 in full glory

Ok peeps

Night at the beach.

All credit to @Neil Mullins for the edit, mate it is sweet thanks

2 x Z-Cons,Mud Dart RC, 1 V1 Controller and 1 x V2 Controller.

https://muddart.nz/

Enjoy

Ritewing Zcon loaded with LED's (Chase footage at the beach) (2 min 12 sec)
Oct 14, 2021, 10:46 PM
3D enthusiast
Noooiiice beach flying! Looks like FPV works especially well in this setting!
Oct 16, 2021, 08:03 PM
Half way through that video I thought it would be awesome if you flew around the light poles, then you did it. Awesome!!

Quick Reply