Dec 29, 2016, 10:48 PM
No 3rd person shots, but it's a night flight :-).

Xuav Mini Talon Night Lights (3 min 18 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2017, 11:07 PM
Night flying AT 802 air tractor fire fighter.
Feb 06, 2017, 12:02 PM
My attempt for night flying with this awesome WS2812B stuff. The stripe are mounted to shine into the EPP, creates a nice effect

RC Flying Wing Nightflight WS2812B Test1 (3 min 8 sec)

Robert
Feb 06, 2017, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert77
My attempt for night flying with this awesome WS2812B stuff. The stripe are mounted to shine into the EPP, creates a nice effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CepzJujXEsM

Robert
Looks amazing! What are you using? Neopixel with arduino?
Feb 06, 2017, 05:56 PM
Nice Robert!
Tell us about your light setup.
Feb 07, 2017, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wijwoj
What are you using? Neopixel with arduino?
No, my used hardware is much simpler:
1 x Attiny85
2 x resistores
1x capacitor
1m WS2812B strip (60 LED/m) cutted in 2 pieces (2x 0,5m)
1x extra external BEC for power supply

I use BASCOM (a Basic dialect) to programm the Attiny85, because I'm not a professional software-programmer and Bascom (-syntax) was much easier to learn for me. Some people helped me to create this code. The fire code for example was "translated" from an Arduino sketch to Bascom (done by a friend in a german bascomforum.de). But you need the full version of Bascom (V2.0.8.0), because the demo version do not support my source code.
Arduino use C (or something like C, I dont really know)

The Police and the Knight Rider effects are only flyable in the dust. I lost orientation during flying in dark night very often, so I have to change this effects in future.

Robert
Last edited by Robert77; Feb 09, 2017 at 04:50 AM.
Feb 07, 2017, 04:42 PM
Wow. Even more impressed. Great work. Weirdly I am a programmer in real life but haven't dabbled in any hardware, arduino or otherwise but have been looking for some good addressable lights for a wing. When my new addition to the family gets a bit bigger I may get some time to get back the toys.

Oh and as someone who has to learn ludicrous new syntax regularly for the day job, I have to say that if you can do basic you'll be able to work out most other languages without much effort. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Feb 08, 2017, 07:38 PM
Still haven't had a chance for a night flight and this thing has been done for weeks. Anyway, here is my Opterra night flyer.
E-flite Opterra night flyer (3 min 2 sec)
Feb 12, 2017, 11:42 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CepzJujXEsM

Robert
Pretty. But I would lose orientation right away.
Feb 13, 2017, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie P (NY)
Pretty. But I would lose orientation right away.
The "secret" is the luminated EPP block of the motor mount. There are two red LEDs inside. Unfortunately it was switched off during the first 1:15 minutes of the video, but you can see the black wires to the EPP block right in front of the motor. The bottom area is covered with black tape (see it at 2:50).

So if you see a little red point on tail during flight, you see the upper side of the plane

Robert

Pictures below show the first version of my night flying wing with "normal" RGB stripes. Here you can see the red "point" on top side.
Feb 13, 2017, 11:35 AM
Gravity is weak but persistant
That would certainly help!

I have a much loved Sonic 64 EDF wing and that is bad enough in daylight.
Feb 14, 2017, 07:51 AM
Put a Flytron strobe on the bottom. These things are so bright, you can see them in broad daylight...........

http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/9...obe-light.html
Mar 01, 2017, 01:52 AM
Quote:
No, my used hardware is much simpler:
1 x Attiny85
2 x resistores
1x capacitor
1m WS2812B strip (60 LED/m) cutted in 2 pieces (2x 0,5m)
1x extra external BEC for power supply

I use BASCOM (a Basic dialect) to programm the Attiny85, because I'm not a professional software-programmer and Bascom (-syntax) was much easier to learn for me. Some people helped me to create this code. The fire code for example was "translated" from an Arduino sketch to Bascom (done by a friend in a german bascomforum.de). But you need the full version of Bascom (V2.0.8.0), because the demo version do not support my source code.
Arduino use C (or something like C, I dont really know)

The Police and the Knight Rider effects are only flyable in the dust. I lost orientation during flying in dark night very often, so I have to change this effects in future.

Robert
Really interested in a How to so it sort of blog on this lighting set up. Really interests me and would love it on one of my models. But i am no computer guru. So any help would be great for me and i am sure other members here.

thanks

Keith (UK)
Mar 01, 2017, 04:02 AM
Must not buy more planes!
Bippa - illuminated, scratch-built biplane at dusk (3 min 38 sec)
Mar 07, 2017, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF-UK
Really interested in a How to so it sort of blog on this lighting set up. Really interests me and would love it on one of my models. But i am no computer guru. So any help would be great for me and i am sure other members here.
Keith (UK)
I am a computer noop, too. But I can tell you some things about my used equipment for programming Attinys.

Hardware:
PC (Win7)
AVR Programmer AVRisp mkII (about 45 Euro, how to connect the AVRisp mkII to the Attiny, see the first minutes of the videos below)
Breadboard (about 10-20 Euro)
some plugs and wires

Software:
AVR Studio4 (Freeware, used to set the Fusebits and internal oscillator of the attiny)
Bascom-AVR Fullversion 2.0.8.0 (about 95 Euro, http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?opt...=14&Itemid=103)

It is also possible to use the free demoversion of Bascom to get the WS2812b to life, but you have to include an extra libary (rainbow.lib from Galahat) for that by yourself (that was a difficult challenge for me). The next problems are: In demoversion you have to use another syntax for WS2812b and there are some features missing. My posted programmcode works only with the fullversion.

You can find a description how to programm codes for WS2812b here: https://avrhelp.mcselec.com/index.ht...ig_rainbow.htm
See also all commands who starts with "RB_xxxxxx"

Robert

Programming a ATTiny13a using a AVRISP MKII and Atmel Studio 6.2 (6 min 26 sec)

Blink an LED with ATMega328P Tutorial (9 min 37 sec)

Quick Reply