Fan Fold Facetmobile - RC Groups
Dec 09, 2007, 09:57 PM
Crash Master
Build Log

Fan Fold Facetmobile

I've always been intrigued by the Facetmobile. It's just cool looking IMO.

A few years back, IIRC, Boomerace built several variations from balsa, over in the Parkflyers forum.

EAM has a balsa kit which I assume is still available. Bunch-o-sticks, I asume.

I built the paper model, and it glides very well! So I scaled it up

My version is 21" span x 26" long. I simply blew up the nice paper model. I'd suggest Bill's Scale & Tile for the job.

It came out at 8.8oz + battery, so 10.4oz w/ 2s800. I've got a 2210-1200 motor in it, swinging a 9050HD prop for about 40w on 2s, or 100w on 3s... I may try a 1060HD on 2s as well.

Weather is supposed to suck for a few more days, so maiden will be as soon as possible...

Hopefully it'll be fun!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2007, 10:09 PM
Battling on regardless
What very strange little ship. What would you class it as? Lifting body, wing or delta?
Dec 09, 2007, 10:11 PM
My plans are in my blog
You have progressed well, my young Jedi apprentice. Excellent work, dude.
Dec 09, 2007, 10:19 PM
That looks like a very nice job. How much did the bare airframe weigh? Looks like you changed it to a taildragger, which makes sense I guess. Would love to see more details.

Kombatant:
If you're interested in the technical details, Barnaby Wainfan, its designer, has a nice web page with info, plus a paper he did for NASA on the FMX-5, which was to be a four passenger job, similar in shape, with a slightly higher aspect ratio. However, it was meant to be constructed out of foam core panels, which is probably a lot more like Mr. Bond's version than the aluminum tube and fabric FMX-6. The FMX 4 was a practical aircraft with the possible exception of the Rotax it had. Wainfan flew it to Oshkosh from, I think, California. Supposed to have very easy and safe handling. He dead sticked it when the engine failed and smacked into a fence, but there was enough structure between Wainfan and the fence that he wasn't hurt. They seem to be slowly rebuilding it. An outfit called TWITT sells a tape of a lecture by Wainfan about the Facetmobile. Interesting stuff. Apparently, there are enough advantages to the design that it actually outperforms Cessnas in some ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond

A few years back, IIRC, Boomerace built several variations from balsa, over in the Parkflyers forum.

My version is 21" span x 26" long. I simply blew up the nice paper model. I'd suggest Bill's Scale & Tile for the job.

It came out at 8.8oz + battery, so 10.4oz w/ 2s800. I've got a 2210-1200 motor in it, swinging a 9050HD prop for about 40w on 2s, or 100w on 3s... I may try a 1060HD on 2s as well.

Weather is supposed to suck for a few more days, so maiden will be as soon as possible...

Hopefully it'll be fun!
Dec 09, 2007, 10:55 PM
Crash Master
Thanks, guys. Vyceroy has been razzing me about all the profiles, so I vowed to do some full-bodied stuff

Not sure what the empty foam weight was, since I had to build the components inside, but I'd guess 4oz or so. I used 9g servos, a 30aesc, 50g motor, and Sumo glue...

I tried searching for other threads, to see if plans were around, but all I found was Boomer's old stuff. Bird-of-Play pointed out a thread, though: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=Facet Looks like thier versions were a little bigger and 2x the weight.

It also sounds like there may be a problem with snapping... sorta sounds like lack of vertical tome, so I'll be careful!
Dec 09, 2007, 11:00 PM
Quote:

Hopefully it'll be fun!
Thanks, Gene, for the reminder and links to Barnaby Wainfan's Facetmobile.

Ralph Currell's plans are copyrighted, but free, so I'll not reproduce them here. For those that wish to use ScaleAndTile to reproduce Gene's foamy version, the Scale Factor SF = 5.6757 to produce 21" width of the bottom plate (I'll change this if Gene suggests something better).

Note: I used ScaleAndTile3's grids to measure on-screen, eliminating the intermediate step most people have to use to perform measurements with a ruler and a printed copy of the plan.

Gentle readers, while you're on Ralph Currell's site, you may wish to take note of his other excellent work.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Dec 09, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Dec 09, 2007, 11:03 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
ah, the facetmobile... got to love them compound curves.
Dec 09, 2007, 11:16 PM
Crash Master
Thanks for the scale number, Bill. I also increased the chord on the elevons, and the resulting length of the fins. My scale was simply to fit the lid on 23" wide fan fold The resulting size is about right for what I like anyway!

Bird-of-Play worked up some drawings back on the referenced thread, but since he had no luck flying it, he dropped the project. If I can get this thing flying well, perhaps I can convince him to bring those old drawings out
Dec 09, 2007, 11:18 PM
Quote:

Hopefully it'll be fun!
Dude gene, that is NUTS, hope it flies, it is amazing what you guys can come up with that flies, unlike me, cant even get my J3 cub off the ground
Dec 10, 2007, 12:44 AM
Retired CAD guy
We're ROOTin for ya Geno ! ! !

I like the way you folded the Blue to fit.

IF ya want plans just go to the source
http://members.aol.com/slicklynne/facet.htm
then from there to here ...
http://members.aol.com/slicklynne/3VIEW.JPG

Edit: But I guess you already did that :-)

Hey Gene , at that weight I dont think you'll get hurt badly :-)
Kinda like an Ant falling out of a tree, then walking away :-)

Regardless great build !

L8r

bob

edit even later:

ok ok ok when I fleww mine It rolled out good on takeoff !
Handling was pretty ok such that I made 3 wide circuits of the culdsac !

Then I lined up for a landing and lowered power to check out the glide.
YEAH RIGHT, glide, sure !!!
it just snapped into the azzPHAULT !
I tink I got tha speellink rite, eh ? :-)

You should have no problems crashing into SNOW ! ! ! :-)))
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 10, 2007 at 12:53 AM.
Dec 10, 2007, 01:06 AM
The thing that strikes me about the Facetmobile is as a full-scale airplane, it looks unusually roomy inside. Cessnas, pipers and the rest are all tight interior-wise.

The main disadvantage to the design is the view from the inside looking out is limited.

Trivial Note: Barnaby Wainfan and his wife Lynn are both avid modelers. Barnaby designed the Cyrano P-30 flying wing for freeflight rubberband power.

Marlin
Dec 10, 2007, 02:12 AM
Another nice one, Do you ever sleep? Bring it to the meeting tonight the fellas will love it.
Dec 10, 2007, 04:51 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Another strange foamie ...count us in ...
Dec 10, 2007, 06:35 AM
Crash Master
Hey Willy! I thought you were just a Lurker here

It'll be there, in all it's blugliness
Dec 10, 2007, 06:48 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Nice job Gene. I was looking at playing around with that one myself last year but other projects preempted it. As always, nice subject, nice build! I'm really looking forward to hearing how it flies. Congratulations,

Tony