This thread is privately moderated by Ghost 2501, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 26, 2015, 12:50 PM
Old Duffer
I must have mis-understood your first response. What I ended up with after some trial, error, and fingers crossed is:

Motor + to #1 relay common
Motor - to #2 common
3V+ to #1 relay NC & #2 relay NO
3V- to #1relay NO & to #2 relay NC

Where I missed the boat was the jumpers for the voltage(s). The only other thing I need to do is incorporate another relay (or a SPST) in one side of the 3V because as soon as the relay board is energized, the motor starts turning. I'll incorporate one master switch on the 12V circuit, launch this outfit, then energize the board components by RF.
Thanks for putting me on the right track!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2015, 03:17 AM
Your lines that say
3V+ to #1 relay NC & #2 relay NO
3V- to #1relay NO & to #2 relay NC
should read
3V+ to #1 relay NC & #2 relay NC
3V- to #1 relay NO & to #2 relay NO
You only want the motor to run if one of relays is operated. If both are released or both operated, both ends of the motor get the same voltage and nothing happens.
Nov 27, 2015, 08:04 PM
Old Duffer
Yessir! Shifted the inputs and the system works great and I don't need the SPST switch.
Thank you!
Jan 27, 2016, 03:29 PM

Smit Nederland

Hello everyone! (I hope I´m posting in the right thread)
I recently began building a Billing boats Smit Nederland I bought about seven years ago and just now got around to it.
It´s my first solo build (built with my dad when I was a kid many years ago) and the learning curve has been quite steep so far.

Anyway I´m about to get all the electronics in to it before I mount the deck and for me it´s a complete jungle out there but this is what I got so far:
2x geared motors that came with the kit (http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...fa-950d61.html)
1x Battery 12V 7,0 Ah
1x graupner 7,2V bowthruster

The biggest question I have is what speed controllers do I need/use?
When a ESC i marked 12V does that mean it will handle a fully charged battery at lets say 13,5V? It should go down to 12V pretty fast but I have seen some ESC rated at up to 15V?
I will probobly need Another powersource for the bowthruster and a ESC for that one aswell so any tips regarding both ESC would be greatly apritiated!

So when I figured out that choosing an ESC would be to hard by myself I then turned my atention to see if could sort out what servo I should use for the steering and was met by the same jungle, there are millions to choose from so that would also be greatly apritiated if I could get som tips on that one!

Also had my eye on a http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...Futaba-6J.html
Good/bad?

(Excuse my spelling, I´m from Sweden

Thanks in advance
/Joakim
Jan 28, 2016, 05:54 AM
Unless you are very unlucky, if an ESC has a round figure voltage, it is indicating that it will e OK with a battery of the same nominal voltage, whatever its state of charge.
When you have done all the complicated maths, the answer will probably be a pair of mtronics viper 15 marine ESCs, for the main motors. Another for the thruster. If you have end point adjustments on the thruster channel, set them so that the 7.2 volt motor is happy with the maximum power offered, the ESC will then limit the power to that motor.
Servos. Any standard size servo will be just fine. Life is a bit easier if you can stick with one make since some manufacturers like to mess about with the shape of the plastic plugs and the slots in the receiver case, but we are modelers, and we have sharp knives, so we can make these things fit. With all current standard size servos, the pin connections are the same whatever make they are.
If the gear says "Futaba" on the label, you will not go wrong. They do have a reputation for good quality.
This is a very general electrical thread that was started as a sticky offering basic wiring diagrams, which appear on the first couple of pages. It is better if specific boat queries have their own thread. At least 20 of the 23 pages that this has grown to only serve to hide useful information.
Don't worry about your spelling, it is better than my Swedish and better than many of the English speakers on here.
Jan 28, 2016, 02:29 PM
Hi mfr02
Thank you su much for the valuable information! I feel a lot more at ease pushing the order button now . I will make sure to make a seperate thread the next time!
Thanks again!
/Joakim
Feb 04, 2016, 06:49 PM
Which way is it blowing?

Anchor hoist fwd/rev question

Hello all,

I am building the fireboat Dusseldorf, the build log is here.

My question is how do I control my mini geared motors in fwd. & rev. so I can operate my anchor & lifeboat hoists?

I am using a Futaba T14SG transmitter.
  1. I want to use one of the 3-way switches for the anchor, so it would raise-stop-lower as I toggle.
  2. I plan to use the two rear sliders to operate the lifeboat, up-down on left, back & forth on the right slider.

I'm new to this kind of stuff and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Feb 05, 2016, 04:46 AM
A 2 relay switcher will do the job of forward-off-reverse on one channel. You can arrange to stop the end travel using either micro switches and diodes or the mark 1 eyeball.
Since this is a very specific query way outside the original intentions of this thread, it might be better with a thread of its own. That way, the information will not be lost among over 300 other posts. I'm fairly sure that the same problem was covered recently in a post regarding anchor handling.
Feb 05, 2016, 10:29 AM
Which way is it blowing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
A 2 relay switcher will do the job of forward-off-reverse on one channel. You can arrange to stop the end travel using either micro switches and diodes or the mark 1 eyeball.
Since this is a very specific query way outside the original intentions of this thread, it might be better with a thread of its own. That way, the information will not be lost among over 300 other posts. I'm fairly sure that the same problem was covered recently in a post regarding anchor handling.
Thanks, will do.
Good thing I already own the mark 1 eyeball control
Apr 18, 2016, 02:46 PM

Johnson HC 9707

How many Amp ESC is required to safely operate with MFA 2:1 belt drive. Sorry 970. Did not see the added 7
Last edited by tugboatg; Apr 18, 2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Bad typing
Apr 18, 2016, 07:57 PM
Boats on the brain!!
To be on the safe side I'd say 50 amp. They are a power hog.
May 02, 2016, 01:45 AM
What is mark 1 eyeball, never heard of this before?
May 02, 2016, 02:57 PM
It is the data feedback system that has been in use as long as humans. You look at the object being scrutinized - you see what it does. The information enters your head via the eyeball. As it is the original design, Eyeball Mk1.
Not many, apart from Steve Austin*, had a MkII, and he was just pretending/acting.

*That would be the 6 million dollar man, not the ill-tempered wrestler.
May 02, 2016, 09:35 PM
I t
hink I will s
tick to what I know, building model boats, this is a bit beyond me .
Jun 20, 2016, 09:39 AM
What is the chart for two batt two esc but without rx batterry pack, do i have to disable red wire for both esc, do i have to connect two batterys ground,

Quick Reply