Dec 09, 2007, 03:58 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Discussion

Evolution F3B with RDS install

Hi all,

I do not intend to copy DjKlein21's excellent thread here, but following many off-topics (Ceres-wise that is) from my part and other modellers, I think it is wiser to open an Evolution-specific thread to discuss the model in general as well as its RDS system (supplied as standard).

I'll start with a few pictures of the wings....I'm still waiting for my fuse (don't ask ) so a picture of the complete model might take time from my side (Steve, maybe you've got pictures of your assembled models? )

Wings weigh 570gr & 578gr respectively, wing joiner 100gr.

Guillaume
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2007, 09:09 AM
Where is the fuselage ?
Will follow this interesting thread.
Are all necessary RDS bits and pieces standard included?
Different brand servo's no problem here? (thinking about rds to servo mounting)
J.
Dec 09, 2007, 06:10 PM
Challenge is rewarding
I have been waiting for the word on the Evolution. Andreas Bohlen sported a really beautiful one at the F3b WC. He flew it for one round, but I wasn't paying enough attension. Jiri Tuma is the builder, and is well known for his building skills. This plane looks to be top notch, and the addition of RDS takes the cake. Soon, this will be the norm amongs commercial planes.

We need to convince Skip Miller to get a factory pilot out here on the west coast where the SCSR and NCSR goes through some planes. Cmon, you know where the market is.

I look forward to flying some F3b in Chicago if they host the team selects next year.
Dec 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
Hello

M. Webberschock prepare a new "flush command" system. Not a RDS (not a rotary system) but something simpler. If I understood correctly what he told me, it should be a kind of thin metallic plate slinding just under the upper skin...

This system should be available on Radical during 2008...

I hope it will be easier to install than RDS in Evolution !
Last edited by Laurent31; Dec 14, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Dec 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
F3B enthousiast!
One Evolution F3B off the batch we received was maidened yesterday....freezing conditions apparently. This one was built with RDS. Another is currently awaiting its maiden flight but was not build with RDS, see pictures of the (very clean) install here and here

More pictures (and comments in French) on the French F3x forum:
http://f3news.big-forum.net/les-news...s-t124.htm#974

Apparently, it flew very well and looks very promising. It was so cold the pilot did not try anything fancy, it was really only to maiden it....he's only getting about 45-50 degrees of down flap movement with the butterfly, I wonder if I could modify my RDS to reach 70 degrees or so ? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Laurent,
maybe you can tell us more since you were there

Guillaume
Dec 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
I like em strong & silent
Hi Guillaume

Got all my components for the build now but have looked at the servo mounts and see no way they will allow the servo to slide other than with modification, has your friend used the system as Jiri's instructions how was the binding or slop?

I will post some pics later but not very good at the moment.

Steve
Dec 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Challenge is rewarding
I knew that plane would be nice.
Dec 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
F3B enthousiast!
Thanks for the pictures Steve, nice colour schemes I guess the orange one pictured assembled is yours

You are right, I forgot to post about the servo mounts from Switzerland: they do not allow the back & forth movement as stock, but removing the locking part of the wooden "bar" that's screwed onto the mounts will allow the movement....but the servo is mounted tight so a bit of sanding would be required.

Not sure if I will go this route.

My friend used some DS3068 & DS168 in the wing and made his own mounts that do not allow any movement at all....seems to work fine so far.

One of the reasons I'm not rushing with the building of mine is that I'm letting my friends build theirs with RDS to see how it goes stock....then I'll decide if I modify my RDS or not

Guillaume
Dec 16, 2007, 06:40 PM
I like em strong & silent
Quote:
One of the reasons I'm not rushing with the building of mine is that I'm letting my friends build theirs with RDS to see how it goes stock....then I'll decide if I modify my RDS or not
Hmmmm that was my plan too

But I was hoping you would be getting on with yours

And yes orange is mine.

I cant wait to get it in the air I think they are going to be very efficent

Steve
Dec 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
F3B enthousiast!
Here is a short review of one of the Evolution F3B we received....maidened last WE too,that's the one with no RDS I was talking about

Guillaume
Dec 19, 2007, 02:10 PM
Challenge is rewarding
guillaume83- your forgot to mention the review was in French.
Dec 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
- your forgot to mention the review was in French.
Yeah, well....the key part is: "le système est bien présenté, son but étant d’intégrer les commandes et de réduire la trainé de l’aile. Ce montage est très utilisé en F3k (entre autre) mais j’ai fait le choix de ne pas l’utiliser même si les pièces fournis sont très biens faites et j’opte pour la simplicité mécanique."

Which means, more or less: "the system is well laid-out, its goal being to tighten the controls and reduce the drag of the wing....but I made the choice not to use it even though the parts furnished are well made, I opted for mechanical simplicity." Hmmmm......

Dec 20, 2007, 02:09 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
guillaume83- your forgot to mention the review was in French.
Google translator is your friend.

Like I said above, our of us decided not to install the RDS and his model is shown there....whatever the reasons for his choice, I think his installation is very clean.

Guillaume

Quick Reply