Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:03 AM
mastrsn is offline
Find More Posts by mastrsn
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Well I'm turning my second kit of the 3 kits I have into a way overpowered non dihedral SE5a with ailerons! Weather sucks so something to do.
boomer
You want to talk about overkill? I just fitted a Tower Pro 2408- 21 in mine- and it's just the right size to squeeze under the cowl!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:45 AM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
You want to talk about overkill? I just fitted a Tower Pro 2408- 21 in mine- and it's just the right size to squeeze under the cowl!

I hope you are doing a LOT of reinforcing!!! With the tail weight you will need it should come out weighing about 16oz!
boomer
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Just checked the specs and the Tower Pro 21 weighs 50.2g and the Blue Wonder I'm using weighs 24g with about the same thrust! The recommended 250 weighs only 14g so you are going to be really nose heavy! I would guess the Blue Wonder will give much better performance due to the decreased weight and I will be using a 9 X 4.7 0r 9 X 3.8 APC SF prop with pitch speed better suited to the draggy airframe plus you will be drawing 13+A and I will be drawing 10A. Keep us posted on your progress!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Feb 11, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
mastrsn is offline
Find More Posts by mastrsn
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Just checked the specs and the Tower Pro 21 weighs 50.2g and the Blue Wonder I'm using weighs 24g with about the same thrust! The recommended 250 weighs only 14g so you are going to be really nose heavy! I would guess the Blue Wonder will give much better performance due to the decreased weight and I will be using a 9 X 4.7 0r 9 X 3.8 APC SF prop with pitch speed better suited to the draggy airframe plus you will be drawing 13+A and I will be drawing 10A. Keep us posted on your progress!
boomer
Where can I find one of these "Blue Wonders"?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Where can I find one of these "Blue Wonders"?
http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/Motors.html
boomer
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
JimH is offline
Find More Posts by JimH
Happy fly begin
JimH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Just checked the specs and the Tower Pro 21 weighs 50.2g and the Blue Wonder I'm using weighs 24g with about the same thrust! The recommended 250 weighs only 14g so you are going to be really nose heavy! I would guess the Blue Wonder will give much better performance due to the decreased weight and I will be using a 9 X 4.7 0r 9 X 3.8 APC SF prop with pitch speed better suited to the draggy airframe plus you will be drawing 13+A and I will be drawing 10A. Keep us posted on your progress!
boomer
I use that blue wonder in both the Jenny and SE5A with an APC 8x4 thin electric prop and it has plenty of power. I like that it is a bolt in with no mods to the existing motor mount on the SE5a, though i did add some more right thrust to it.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
I use that blue wonder in both the Jenny and SE5A with an APC 8x4 thin electric prop and it has plenty of power. I like that it is a bolt in with no mods to the existing motor mount on the SE5a, though i did add some more right thrust to it.
Installed it today. Using 9 X 3.8 APC SF with 3S 740 20C. Gives me a little over 90W at just under 7A on the power meter.
boomer
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:55 PM
mastrsn is offline
Find More Posts by mastrsn
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar
Boomer,

Not to throw the thread off, but I just had to show you these pics.

Time to pack it in on the Slow Stick perversions and let a younger generation take over
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Boomer,

Not to throw the thread off, but I just had to show you these pics.

Time to pack it in on the Slow Stick perversions and let a younger generation take over
Really turned out great! Congrats! Yeah the youngun's can do their own thing with the SS! Just realized I'll be 81 in a couple of weeks!
boomer
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:49 PM
BOZINATOR is offline
Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
In The Sorrano Triangle
BOZINATOR's Avatar
boomer,
When do you think you will have to change your handle to "FATHER TIME" I don't know if anyone at "your young age " with so much energy The color I used on the jenny and se5a was the tamiya xf-27 black green. The finish is flat and looks good on my Williams bro wheels. I will try it on the wing edges and let you know (SE-5A of course) I used a Permaplaque yellow marker for the edges of the Jenny wings and stabs.
More Later when I can finish both planes
jim
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:47 AM
mastrsn is offline
Find More Posts by mastrsn
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Just realized I'll be 81 in a couple of weeks!
boomer
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I baked you a cake, but made one "small" error.
(I guess you'll have to eat it standing on your head, or make it a Birthday upside down cake
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:32 PM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
I received my Tamiya Acrylic XF-13 from Burbank House of Hobbies today and am happy to say Dean was right on! It's a perfect match for the Green on the plane. I noticed one of the websites called it Japanese Military Green! Painted my "Wild SE5a" today and will go back and paint my 250 powered one the next couple of days along with painting over the shinny black plastic with flat black for a more scale look as I did on the Wild Version!
boomer
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:44 PM
johnm15141 is offline
Find More Posts by johnm15141
Every flight is a maiden!
johnm15141's Avatar
Whoops wrong thread, I still have not built my e-flite SE5a. Almost ready though...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:11 AM
boomerace is offline
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Whoops wrong thread, I still have not built my e-flite SE5a. Almost ready though...
You can cut off the rims on the stock wheels and use the rest of the scale wheel as wheel covers on the Maxx 2-1/2 " wheels and get this. Cut too much off the rear caps so had to paint the white showing. You need to leave the slight turned up portion.
boomer
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
johnm15141 is offline
Find More Posts by johnm15141
Every flight is a maiden!
johnm15141's Avatar
Thanks, I've been looking at these stock wheels thinking, nice for static display but the way I land, hmmm, maybe I'll change them to the Maxx products wheels and cover them with olive drab hubs...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just tested E-flite 8.4 300mah Ni-MH in my Tiger Moth LESLIEx317537 Parkflyers 15 Feb 01, 2003 10:45 AM
e-flite Electrajet Deluxe version btompkins Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 23, 2002 07:44 PM
E-Flite Odyssey EP tomr Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 17, 2001 04:54 PM
Odyssey EP by E-flite Steven9026 Electric Sailplanes 4 Nov 14, 2001 11:38 PM
Odyssey EP by E-Flite for a beginner flyer? Bellavance Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 0 Oct 09, 2001 08:23 PM