Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
Potential Future Has-Been
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlyFaded
i sent them an email, and they didnt respond, i will try to call them during their buisness hours.

I've had this same problem dealing with plastics companies. I've tried several times to get a quote from Toray Plastics and they never respond. I think it's because they are only interested in large orders.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2012, 04:35 AM
Custom RC Blimps
Oracover is really the best foil,
expensive, but with very good quality

and keeps the helium for a long time (compared to TPU)
Mar 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →

blimp envelope material

Try this place http://j.piri.home.mchsi.com/parts.htm
Mar 23, 2015, 04:20 PM
Hi Carangifoil I have tried to contact balloonkits by all means possible, I've emailed them I tried to call and no reply. Which country/area are they located in? I thought it was in the US and I think that their phone number matches that of Arizona but since I've gotten absolutely no reply I was beginning to have my doubts. I also checked phone codes for Australia and New Zealand and no success. Also do you have any idea if they ship abroad or not like Africa for instance? Thanks!
Mar 23, 2015, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy
Hi Carangifoil I have tried to contact balloonkits by all means possible, I've emailed them I tried to call and no reply. Which country/area are they located in? I thought it was in the US and I think that their phone number matches that of Arizona but since I've gotten absolutely no reply I was beginning to have my doubts. I also checked phone codes for Australia and New Zealand and no success. Also do you have any idea if they ship abroad or not like Africa for instance? Thanks!
I've had the exact same experience. I've tried calling and emailing them a few times over the past 6 months.
Mar 24, 2015, 03:03 PM
Go small or go home
I also tried to put in an order a few months back. Never showed up on my credit card so after a couple of weeks I emailed to see if the order had been placed. I did eventually get an email reply (and they did try to call) asking about shipping. I wanted it shipped regular mail, but they only wanted to ship it UPS or Fedex. Never heard back again, and it's been so long I assume the order is dead.

I'm in Canada, so I figured it just wasn't going to happen.
Mar 24, 2015, 05:03 PM
I've got the metalized PET now if you want some ruzam. I just haven't figured out what to roll it onto yet. 50" is such an oddball size that you can't find cardboard tubes in that length to use as cores. A PVC core would work but probably more expensive. I need to make a device for measuring length as it is spooled onto the core also. Pulling it out onto a table to measure the length would be too much of a pain, since once the edge curls it is a real pain to roll back up again. It needs to be transferred directly from one roll to the to the other at close range to get a good, wrinkle free transfer.
Mar 25, 2015, 03:24 PM
Go small or go home
I'll definitely take you up on that pyro. Expect a pm in the next few days.
Mar 25, 2015, 07:46 PM
If you can find a reasonably priced supplier of 50+" long cardboard tubes to use as cores to spool the film onto let me know. I haven't had much time to look myself. Thin gauge PVC can always be a last resort I guess.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:32 AM

Miles of heat sealable balloon foil for sale.

Check out my heat-sealable balloon foil. Some from Glenroy some from China.
I have rolls of it or I’ll sell by the yard. I have different widths and colors so Visit my website at
film dot Fluffy Scarsdale dot com(No spaces no dashes).

All the best
Fluffy
Last edited by FluffyScarsdale; Mar 14, 2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Mar 19, 2018, 11:27 PM
Back to Boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyScarsdale
I have rolls of it or Iíll sell by the yard. I have different widths and colors so Visit my website at

All the best
Fluffy
THANK YOU!!! I've been at my wits end since West Coast Blimps went down!
May 20, 2018, 06:15 PM
Go small or go home
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyScarsdale
I have rolls of it or Iíll sell by the yard. I have different widths and colors so Visit my website at
Hey Fluffy, I finally got around to trying your foil in a test envelope. Wow! This foil is light years ahead of the balloon material from American Science & surplus. The seams sealed easily and smoothly. The foil/color side has held up to moderate handling without wearing off. The seams melt and weld predictably under high heat. Unlike the surplus foil that separates into layers and comes apart if it gets too hot.

I don't know how well it retains helium, but it doesn't matter much for my purposes. I'm sure I lose more to leaks than gas diffusion. It couldn't be any worse than what I've been using and with your foil it was almost effortless to get an air tight envelope. This is the first envelope I've constructed that didn't have at least one leak that needed to be found and sealed post build.

This is a test envelope I made up to see how workable the foil would be. It turned out so well I feel like it should be hung on the wall like a trophy!
May 21, 2018, 03:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
*Eighteen* darts at the back? You're keen :-)

Looks lovely!

Why is there a slight silver streak along the seams inn the middle picture by the way? Did you reinforce with tape or something?

(also, I don't suppose you weighed it did you?)
May 21, 2018, 06:47 PM
Go small or go home
Ha ha, that was my test envelope to get a feel for the new film. 18 darts in the back, 9 in the front. I used to do 9 in the back but I wasn't happy with how the 'curves' ended up being more 'flats' so I doubled the seams to see how it would look. I like it, so now I'm working on a new envelope with 18 darts in the front too! So much cutting and seaming...

The silver on the seams is the result of my seam method. I lay a thin strip of foil (about 1cm wide) on my gore tool, heat seal side up, then the gores butted side by side on top of the strip (heat seal side down) so that the edges are joined by the strip. Gives me a flat seam with 5mm of joined material on either side. But running the iron on the seam (even through parchment paper) removes some of the colour and lets the silver show through. If I were going to use this envelope, I might try to touch up the seam with a similar coloured sharpie to hide it. Mostly I intend to dust these blimps with paint in the future.

I believe this foil might have a useful property when exposed to heat (stretch or shrink). Before I finish with this test, I'm going to take the heat gun to the nose and see if I can't smooth it out a bit more.

This particular envelope is approx 18" diameter by 47" nose to tail. It came in at 55.85 grams. 2 days later it's still tight as a drum. Hasn't farted a whisper, not even through the fill valve. I've never come this close to a fully sealed envelope before.

By my rough calculations, it has a volume of approx 170 liters. So say 170 grams lift from the helium minus the envelope weight of 56g leaves a payload capacity of 114g.
May 22, 2018, 03:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Outstanding :-) - and very promising from a weight point of view; it sounds like it comes out at ~35gsm, which is very convenient...

So two key questions then;

a: I presume this is fluffy's 44" coloured material?

b: (and more importantly) How in blazes do you manage to get a 1cm strip of foil to lie flat enough to back end a butt-join? I've never got the hang of working with foil; it always curls up like crazy at the edges and when I cut it - I end up heat sealing a strip on each side just to try to keep it flat!

Quick Reply