Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 06, 2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Snoozer
Discussion

Best place to buy mylar

hello, i am having alot of trouble finding a mylar supplier. I need a large amount and as wide a roll as possible, anyone know some good sources? thanks!

michael
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2007, 11:26 PM
Have you tried Tap Plastics? They have different thicknesses and two widths. I believe the widest is 48 inches. They have it on rolls on the back wall and sell it by the foot.

I got mine from the San Mateo store, but the Mountain View store might be closer to you.

http://www.tapplastics.com/
Dec 07, 2007, 12:23 PM
Whats a search engine?
http://www.glenroy.com/BalloonFilm.htm is another
Dec 07, 2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry Michael. I thought you were talking about Mylar sheets, not film.
Dec 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Snoozer
thanks for the sources guys! can anyone explain to me why a 52X84" sheet of mylar (safety blanket) only costs 1 $ (around 33 cents per yard) and these guys are trying to charge 1$ per foot? seems a bit off to me...
Dec 11, 2007, 02:38 AM
Mostly harmless
A safety blanket is also mylar, but it might be heavier than balloon mylar. Besides, it is often of lower quality and may contain microscopic leaks. However, I have managed to build very reasonable envelopes from the cheap blanket mylar, and the weight isn't too much for a 5 feet blimp.

Now a word about terms: Mylar is actually a trademark of Dupont. The stuff is basically a polyethylene terephthalate film with aluminum coating. This stuff cannot be heat sealed with iron, and has to be glued...

There's another film that is generally (although mistakenly) referred to mylar: Balloon foil aka laminated nylon. This consists of polyamide film with aluminum coating. This film can be heat sealed with modelling iron, and forms very strong bonds (comparable to the strength of the material itself). This is the thing they use in commercial foil balloons...
Dec 11, 2007, 06:09 AM
Marcus Franco
Why don´t you guy´s take a look in this thread...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640031

Mylar is based on poliester films...
the oracover films are based on poliester films... (special for blimps up to 3 meter)

Check this out...
http://www.oracover.biz/xml/frames....xml?node_id=265

Dec 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Mostly harmless
That film is expensive! (well here at least) plus you need to buy and apply the adhesive separately. Best choice for a simple blimp envelope would be heat sealable balloon foil...
Dec 13, 2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Snoozer
i have seen the orracover stuff, it is as kernwrech said Very expensive (huge markup for such a small market).

What i really need is a good source of the balloon film (laminated nylon) as kern said. I dont see why it should be very hard to find, seeing as it is used for such a common thing (balloons) however i have not been able to find a good source. Please if you know of one that would be willing to help me out, let me know! thanks

michael
Dec 14, 2007, 05:32 PM
Whats a search engine?
Glenroy wouldnt help you ? Did you contact them ? What did they say ?
Dec 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Snoozer
i sent them an email, and they didnt respond, i will try to call them during their buisness hours.
Jan 02, 2008, 11:44 AM

not mylar

you need metalized nylon,the nylon lets you heat seal the seams,Glenroy only sells large amounts,5,000ft or more.Emergncy blankets do not have the nylon on one side and it is way to heavy.We have rolls of Glenroy product and could sell some .50cents a ft. plus shipping.It's hard to find companies that sell small amounts
Last edited by carangifoil; Jan 09, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Jan 09, 2008, 03:19 PM
www.BALLOONKITS.COM Gary Felix has different colors,and is pretty good guy
Tell him Therin sent you
Mar 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
I have literally have miles of metalized balloon film, and I'm selling it all over the world

I've got 44" metallized balloon film made in China in 13 colors,
I've got 37 3/4" silver metallized balloon film made by Glenroy, Inc. in WI, USA), as well as 4 colors/patterns in 28" width also made by Glenroy.

All my film is heat-sealable. Check out the subsequence posts ( # 27-36) of this thread; there's a thorough review by a really talented guy

http://film.fluffyscarsdale.com/
Last edited by FluffyScarsdale; Jul 09, 2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: website now available - update from selling rolls to selling yards
Mar 09, 2012, 11:10 AM

Rolls of Metalized Nylon for sale (purchased from Glenroy)

I have miles of metalized balloon film

I have rolls of silver balloon film made by Glenroy, WI, USA It's .48 MIL METALIZED BIAX NYLON .65 MIL LLDPE The Silver is 37.75" wide. Rolls of Silver are 1800 feet and each roll weighs 33.78 lbs. I also have some patterned metalized balloon film that 28" wide also made by Glenroy, Inc. in Wisconsin, USA.

I also have 44" metalized balloon film in 13 colors (some matte/pastel, some shiny, all made in China.

Visit my website at
Film(dot)FluffyScarsdale((dot)com

I also ship all over the world.
Last edited by FluffyScarsdale; Jun 23, 2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply