Dec 05, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

86" Horton Style Wing

Here are a few photos of my flying wing I hope to start covering tomorrow. 850 sq. in. to be powered by a mega 600 outrunner and a 4 s 2200 lipo. . 27 oz at this point
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2007, 08:27 PM
Very nice. Keep us posted.
Dec 05, 2007, 08:35 PM
resU deretsigeR
I always did like balsa...

Looking real nice..

Is that a kit or a one off..
Dec 05, 2007, 08:44 PM
Fighter of Gravity
I'll bet if she knew just how much money you spend on this hobby it would wipe that pretty smile off of her face
Serously though, looks great. Can't wait to see it finished.
Dec 05, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Its a one off I designed 3 years ago and never got around to building. It was originally intended to use an astro brushed .05 and 9 x 3300 nimh cells. This means that she is built heavier than is now needed. Technology has come a long way in 3 years.
Dec 05, 2007, 11:15 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Beautiful barebones airframe!

Would you happen to have any specs you'd like to share, such as wing root and tip chord, sweepback angle, airfoil used and most importantly the amount of twist used?

Oh and your balance location?

Thanks
Curtis
Montana
Dec 06, 2007, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
To answer a few specifics:The wing has a tip chord of 6" and a root chord of 17 1/2". Leading edge sweep is 32.5 degrees. The wing has a twist of about 5/8 inch from root to chord. I am concerned this may be excessive. I have forgotten where the airfoil came from, but as near as I can determine it is a Horton foil. To be honest, If I were going to do this over again I probably would have chosen a different foil such as an MH45 vor MH60. I still need to determine the balance point. Anyone out there that has knowledge of this type wing and best CG?
Dec 06, 2007, 02:54 PM
internet gadfly
Try this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?p=6190131

--Norm
Dec 06, 2007, 03:49 PM
Uuuuh.. before you get too far along
Suggest you download a Proven ..Free!.. plan from Nurfluge.tk

look for the Horten VII one
Dec 06, 2007, 04:10 PM
internet gadfly
Looks to me like he's already got a plane
Dec 06, 2007, 05:35 PM
Joel,

If you give me the wingspan or 1/2 span I can figure the balance location for you. Actually when I get home I think I can reverse calculate your span from the wing area you gave.

Anyhow, I'll get you a suggested balance location.

If you have MS Excel you can download Sailplane Calc and just enter zeros for the tails and then on the balance tab use a static margin of 10% and it'll spit out a balance point for you. The idea is to only get you out on a test flight safely then after that you may fine tune the balance location.

The formula's are from Martin Simons book on model aerodynamics.

I'm working on a spreadsheet to determine Twist but need to test it and figure out how to obtain zero lift angles for the airfoils. I'm getting close but still not confident enough to post it.

Have a nice day.
Curtis
Dec 06, 2007, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Curtis thanks for the help. Here is an attached drawing. I did not include the rear curvature on the trailing edge as part of the chord. 15.5 root, 6" tip , 42"span with 32.5 degree sweep.
Dec 06, 2007, 11:43 PM

Suggested Balance Location

Joel,

Here's the stats I get for your wing.

Looks like a static margin of 8% which is 17% of the MAC puts you at 13.41 inches aft of the root leading edge.

Wing loading 5.6 oz/ft^2 if you come out at 35 ounces, Nice!

Curtis
Montana

PS Can't wait to see this one fly, I hope you're able to post a video!!!
Dec 07, 2007, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
I began covering the wings today. I decided to use icarex polyester sailcloth for a covering. I really believe that the texture on this covering makes for a better flying airplane. It is also very strong and extremely light.For those of you who have never used this material I thought I would briefly describe the process.

First I paint all wooden surfaces with SIG Stik it. I prefer Stik it over Balsarite as it is does not make strings of glue while your applying it.
Next I applied Stik It to the feather overlaps so I would be able to seal them to the lower piece with my hot iron.

next cut out your pattern pieces or apply directly as per project. I joined the pieces together using a hot tacker to weld in position. I then sewed a quick seam along each overlap. This is not absolutely necessary as seams can be glued with the Stik It.

Finally I applied the fabric as you would any covering material with my heating iron and hot air gun.

Unfortunately I cut the pattern a bit too short and I now will be forced to cover the tips separely
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Dec 09, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
Dec 08, 2007, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
covering material for both wings 1600+ sq. inches equals 2 1/4 oz.Not bad.

Quick Reply