May 31, 2001, 12:24 AM
Acme Powered!
Thread OP

How To Install Different Motors in the Kyosho and Mini Fan

I posted this in the EDF forum and got no help so I thought I would try here.
I need to install 3 different motors in two different types of fans. First is my Fun 480-33 in my Kyosho Fan with aluminum spinner and collet. How do you guys space the motor out so it fits perfectly centered and then how do you modify the bolt pattern of the fan to the motor. I am afraid of removing to much material in the Kyosho Fan. Next is a 1010/2Y in a mini fan, same deal. And the one that really has me baffled is the 805W for my Mini Fan the bolts dont even line up. Any suggestions for a EDF newbie,there alot different than setting up GDF's I can tell already.
Thanks Joe
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2001, 08:05 AM
eflyguy
Make an adapter plate. Screw the motor and the fan shroud to the the plate using holes drilled and tapped for each component. First motor, with small tapered-head screws. Make sure the screws are exactly the correct length of course - ACE hardware sells them in all lengths, and a couple of washers here and there will help get everything just right.
You can make the motor a snug fit by wrapping the front edge of it with tape. My 1114/4 has a "post-it note"-like tape around the front, so it's a nice fit into the Kyosho shroud.
..a
May 31, 2001, 09:56 AM
Acme Powered!
Thread OP
Andy Can I make the adatper plate out of 1/8 inch plywood. As I dont have access to a metal shop. And then get the correct svrews and boult it up that way? Will the Plywood be okay, it should work just like a motor mount. So you tap the plywood adapter plate to match the holes in the Fan.
Thanks Joe
May 31, 2001, 10:29 AM
eflyguy
I don't know if ply would work all that well. I had metal in mind.
Perhaps if you used tapered bolts from behind the plate forwards, and then locking nuts to secure the whole assembly to the shroud?
..a
May 31, 2001, 10:40 AM
Acme Powered!
Thread OP
Andy how did you set up your Kyosho fan and 114Y motor? Did they just match right up?
I dont have access to a metal shop so it would need to be plywood. I wonder how all the jet guys handle this problem. It has to come up often. My 609 and 1406/2Y were a direct fit like a glove. It seems just the mini fans and the Kyosho give me problems
Thanks Joe

Quick Reply