This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 03, 2007, 08:23 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Welcome to my orphanage.

I can't help it, I tell you. I have a soft spot for old stuff with some life left in it. One of these days, I'll talk about the mangled 1900 Conn cornet my musical instrument technician friend and I bought back from the dead a few years ago.

Yesterday, our flying club had a really fun R/C swap meet. I bought a few small items to sell and I actually did sell some stuff. Bought a few small items as well, so I broke even financially.

As the event wrapped up, the club's VP asked if I wanted a plane he couldn't even get five bucks for. It's an old Global Hobby Raven 40 profiler that he built from a kit. Except for a bad case of "garage grunge," it's all there less radio and engine. Pushrods, clevises, everything including a 1998 AMA membership decal. I even have a brand-new 8 oz. DU-BRO fuel tank which I was trying to sell, but I'm glad I didn't since that is precisely the tank this model calls for.

If I didn't take it, it would have been off to the stomping pile just before it would have hit the trash can.

Not good. The stuff that did get stomped was crashed beyond repair. Not this little 3D. There simply isn't anything wrong with it beyond a slightly damaged rudder servo box.

The other wayward (or is that "wayweird?") orphan is a Piper Cub 40 which was also a kit build. Again, pretty much all there except for one missing wing strut, one broken wing strut, the landing gear and some torn covering.

I would have passed it up and allowed it to go out with a stomp or two if not for the two rolled-up papers sticking up out of the top of the cockpit.

They were the original full-sized plans. Radio location, engine mounting, CG location, strut plans, you name it.

It's safe and sound in the club's storage shed since I didn't have any room in the car to take it home. All mine and no money necessary.

Of course, both will require some infusion of money later on to return them to life, but I have a handle on a couple of slightly used Evolution 46's which will fit nicely and greatly ease the load on my wallet. Got to finish two ARF's for RC Power and get through Christmas before I even think about resurrecting these two.

Some before and after pictures to be posted as I take them.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Dec 03, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply