Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 03, 2007, 07:29 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
Build Log

Darth's AH-64A Apache and the KING2

Im starting this build thread showing my Ah-64 using the king 2 mechanics. I went with the king2 because its turning into a very versatile heli for me. The Apache body is definitely more of a 450 size body but I want to show how that a king2 can be used also in this installation. So Far heres how far Ive got done but eventually in this thread I do plan on showing how easy or hard it is installing the mechanics.
Ive bent some 1/8 wire to make the main landing gear. I used 1/8 music wire. Gotta be careful bending this stuff, It took me three tries because the wire kept breaking at a joint. I spent $1.00 for a 36" length of wire and I could get almost four pieces long enough out of it to use for the landing gear. I also use a 3/32 wire for the rear strut support. 1-1/4 Diameter Lite foam wheels. I had to drill out the hubs for the 1/8 wire. And Im also using the 1/8 wheel collars to hold the wheels on. So Far making the LG has been the hardest part. The Chain gun is just balsa and a 1/8 carbon rod. The Gun does move up down left and right.
Installed in the fuselage so far is the king2 chassis . I had to do a little creative moulding work on the fuselage to be able to get the chassis on the inside so that the maingear dosent come in contact with the fuselage. Now there should be plenty of space for King2s, T-rexes and basically all the 450 size helis.
(more to come)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2007, 07:36 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
The nose section is completly detachable for battery replacement.
Later on in the build I will be putting on the king Chassis a 450 size motor and battery. I will also be using at least a 325mm main blades.
The tail rotor is what may be the interesting part. Right now the plan is to try thr tailrotor with the AXE Cp tailmotor and blades. Hey, it works on my UH-1 Huey and my Sikorsky S-76 and my Ah-1W (We'll See) If that dosent work then Ill probably go with a brushless motor on the tail. If that dont work I have another setup under my sleeve.
Dec 03, 2007, 11:04 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
Basic fuselage assembly is gluing alot of halves together. I use testors plastic model cement. One half of the part to be assembled will have a lip to glue the other half to. Engine nacelles, weapon wings, tailboom, Horizontal stabilizer , rocket pods, Pod mounts and the main body and nose sections all have to be assembled by gluing halves together. There is alot of trimming that has to be done. This kit really isnt for someone who dosent have any modeling skills. I count 32 pieces all together that has to be assembled.
Attaching the tailboom to the main body is by butt gluing the tailboom and rear section of main body bulkheads together.
Dec 04, 2007, 12:46 AM
Looks great. I'm almost done with your AH-1 Cobra body. Will a Compy FP brushless lift that Apache?
Dec 04, 2007, 12:56 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
I dont think the Compy will even come close to liftng his fuselage. The reason why Im going to use the King2 Chassis is because light weight and its basic head design is the same as a 450 size helicopter. Im also going to put 450 size electronics on it also.
Dec 04, 2007, 01:15 AM
innocent victim
it's really too bad you dont offer fuselage's all put together, or mostly put together, that would open up a few more of us to these canopies, I lack the tools and patience to make them look as good as you do.

Other then that forward gun, it looks great Darth, I'll follow this thread with interest.
Dec 04, 2007, 01:35 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
it's really too bad you dont offer fuselage's all put together, or mostly put together, that would open up a few more of us to these canopies, I lack the tools and patience to make them look as good as you do.

Other then that forward gun, it looks great Darth, I'll follow this thread with interest.
Sometimes I do preassembles, Depends on what my workload is.
Dec 05, 2007, 12:56 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Ed - Is this smaller than the 1/18 BBI Apache?

Cheers - Boyd
Dec 05, 2007, 01:01 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
No, this is the 1:18 scale size
Dec 05, 2007, 02:46 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Thanks.
Dec 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
Did a little more work on the Apache since my last posting here.
First of all, yeah... I know the tail rotor isnt on the correct side on mine but basically, Im trying to keep it pretty simple. Made the tail wheel out of lite plywood. I will be coating it with CA Glue to make it stronger than what it is. I also added a belly antenna and the wire skrike blades on the nose section.
Im about ready to mount the rest of my electronics. The purpose of this build is to see how the king2 frame and the T-rex size blades and the AXE CP tailrotor all work together.
Dec 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
I like how you made the main gear fit into the hollow wing stubs. These projects would be alot easier without that huge friggin maingear (HBFP).

Ever use rare earth magnets to hold sections?
Dec 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
Ok, Today I maidened the AH-64 Did some hovering about five feet high. It was pretty windy and I didnt want to take any chances. The Heli flew great even with the motor tail. A few adjustments of the PIT knobs and i had it flying very smoothly. I did have an issue but it wasnt related to the functionality of the helicopter. I think Im having a ESC startup issue. I tried two different motors and I get the same results. Mabey someone can chime in on whats going on. It could be a cheap ESC syndrome. Im using a 30 amp Dynam brushless esc. I hooked it up to the program card and its suppose to automatically set throttle curve to linear, brake off, cutoff: Slow and is set for an outrunner motor. As I advance the throttle, the motor sorta stutters real bad and stops. If i pump the throttle the motor will eventually kick in but its a hard start. Its not a smooth start like i would like. I tried this on two motors and the same esc and the same problem exists. But once the motor is going it seems to work fine. Anyone out there know whats going on ?
Dec 22, 2007, 05:03 PM
The Dynam ESC wires are the culprit. Check the solder connections between the ESC and the motor connectors.

The same ESC on my Esky scale let go at about 4 feet off the ground. I was lucky that it was only 4 feet off the deck as the weight of the scale body won't lend itself to auto's very well. I found my servo's responding ok and the motor would sort of glitch when advancing the throttle. After pulling it apart I found a bad connector. This is the second time this has happened to me with these wires. They are very brittle and break at the solder joint. I guess a little vibration or a slight shock during a rough landing has weakened the wires.

One look at those Dynam wires tells the story anyway. I think this ESC is going into the trash and will be replaced with a decent one. My Esky scale flies great although its a little heavy.