Dec 03, 2007, 05:29 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Thread OP
Build Log

DO-24 and BV138

With all the inexpensive small motors that have become available, constructing a multi engine plane doesn't have to break the bank. Two planes that are seaplanes that interest me are the Dornier DO 24 and the Bluhm und Voss BV138. I have searched through the links in the sticky and found some things, the most promising being a 3D CAD program of the BV138, but unfortunately the fellow lost his computer and all the work on it.

If anyone knows of a set of plans, cross sections or heaven forbid, an actual kit or short kit of either of these gems, I would be very appreciative of the information. I can take care of any resizing and would be happy to pay for plans that someone has invested time in producing.

If need be I will take a shot at them with three views (I have some) and pictures and post progress here.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 17, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added pictures from the tops of two revell kits I bought
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2007, 04:13 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Thread OP
Thanks, I didn't have the bit cleaner one. I have just about decided to start with the DO24. It looks like it would fly better and even make a water takeoff.

Len
Dec 04, 2007, 04:48 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
the 24 rocketh
Dec 04, 2007, 02:31 PM
Len search back through the history for mentions and you will find a link for plans ..... probably linked to Kuni but depending on size and wt gearedS480 brushed motors will do nicely... see Ivans work for an idea of whats possible and how. The clog BV138 is my favourite of the two for a Dornier I have to go to the 26.
Dec 04, 2007, 05:14 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Thread OP
Found a link for a BV-138 10 foot span for about $140 and it was in response to a Kuni post.

Elsewhere there was a reference to a kit with poor spar design but never mentioned the source.

The DO 26 looks interesting, but perhaps too challanging with the moving rear motors.

The D0 24 looks good to me and even better it looks like it will fly nicely. Still have not found the plans though. I did order a plastic Revell kit of both planes. If necessary I can get the dimensions for the cross sections from those.

If I sketch up some working drawings I will share them.

There are some 5 and 10 gram brushless motors for about $10. The 10 gram motors I have tried and am pretty pleased; three of the 5 gram motors are inbound from the same source and I am thinking 5" or less props, three motors and about 40" span.

Len
Dec 04, 2007, 05:45 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Len what Building Material ya want to use?
Dec 04, 2007, 07:03 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Thread OP
Hi Vyceroy,

Probably use a combination of carbon, depron and maybe even some balsa, whatever works for the job at hand. I still have a little Bluecore, but I'm not quite the FFF master you are. I saw one thread where a Cat was done from foam slices. That might be an interesting approach.

Len
Dec 04, 2007, 07:31 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Len PM me your email and i will send ya a little something
Dec 04, 2007, 08:05 PM

Do24, you say?

You could fly on land, too!
Dec 05, 2007, 05:30 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Thread OP
Thanks Ron, PM sent.
Dec 05, 2007, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Len PM me your email and i will send ya a little something
Surely not................... Len he will have just the info
Dec 05, 2007, 01:46 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31
You could fly on land, too!
Hey, those are some fantastical shots. I had to break out an image stitcher

...or click this to get my stitch non-hacked by RCGroup's image hacker.

Last edited by theKM; Dec 05, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Dec 05, 2007, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
Hey, those are some fantastical shots. I had to break out an image stitcher

...or click this to get my stitch non-hacked by RCGroup's image hacker.

To think all this fantastic stuff came to pass, in my piddling 76-year lifetime! (I shot those at Oshkosh, 2006).
Dec 05, 2007, 05:31 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31
To think all this fantastic stuff came to pass, in my piddling 76-year lifetime! (I shot those at Oshkosh, 2006).
They're great pics, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply