Dec 03, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Yippee!

Fast and she will Thermal

I promised I would do it and I did. Here is the Angel Fire in her new form!!!! Thre are only two changes I will make on my next build. I will make the ailerons full width. I will laminate a piece of 1/16 ply inside the tail section where it makes the transition and I will put the rear wing lower on the vertical stab so it is easier to set up the elevator controls.

Well...Here she is.....plans to come shortly.

Last edited by plasticpaul; Dec 05, 2007 at 07:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2007, 10:02 AM
AMA 8614
Paul... This build is fantastic... I love the wing, sheer beauty. Congrats on a superb build. Bob
Dec 03, 2007, 12:45 PM
Paul,

Nice looking plane, let's have some construction details please!

Jim
Dec 03, 2007, 01:13 PM
Wow.. this plane looks fantastic! I'd love to see more details of a scratchbuilt that's fast and thermals well! Have you flown it on a windy day yet?

-Shawn
Dec 03, 2007, 01:32 PM
AMA 42867
Nice looks! You sure followed up quickly after the first Angel Fire. Is that a KF step on the wing?
Dec 03, 2007, 03:36 PM
DUDE, that is awesome, got some plans
Dec 03, 2007, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Everyone !! That sure is a KF wing. I have not flown it in serious wind yet but it was pretty breezy this morning and she will fly in it but boy does she move when flying down wind

I will have the plans up asap. I also plan to post some mods for it. I beleive it would look great as a pure glider for a zip launch. I also believe that with the tail wing lower it could be flown as DLG.

Yesterday I was flying with a bunch of hardcore DLG flyers and there were very few thermals to be found. The Angel Fire still found a couple. I honestly believe a very competetive glider could be built using this airfoil. In the near future i will be making vauum pressed wings using this white foam and fiberglass and I will be using the KF wing. I honestly believe a very competitve glider could be built using this airfoil.
Dec 03, 2007, 05:01 PM
Out the Window
Paul

Great looking e-glider. What are you using to glass the airplane? How much weight does the glass add? Is there any spars in the wing?

I am really drawn to the electric motor gliders as you do not need a lot of extra equipment to launch the glider. DLG looks fun, but not for us OLD guys!

Ray
Dec 03, 2007, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
I believe I have a Cularis coming for Christams and I am torn between making it pure or putting a motor on the front. The e-gliders are so nice to fly, power them up and enjoy the soaring. I am really looking forward to seeing what this baby can do as a pure glider on a short bungee launcher. I am also thinking I may be able to build a 1.5m DLG in the 7oz range.

I am not sure how much weight the glass adds but it is well worth it due to the nicer finish and the strength. I am using .75oz cloth with WBPU. The leading edge has 3 layers and the rest of the plane has one layer.
Dec 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
Last night Dick Kline and I spoke on the phone for a while about his airfoil and how to get the most out of it. This is no doubt the best airfoil I have seen for slower flying airplanes. This glider is a great flying bird and I will get the plans available asap. If anyone can't wait, shoot me a PM and I will snail mail you a set of drawings.
I will after the Holidays be designing a DLG using the airfoil Dick and I discussed last night. I am possitive I can design a simple to build DLG that would compete with the best thermaling machines aout there. It could also be launched off a small bungi system as well.
Dick also gave me permission to use his airfoil in a line of gliders I plan to market next year. They will be a mix of foam and composite construction. The really cool thing is they have thier roots right here in the foamie world.
Dec 05, 2007, 05:17 AM
DAK
DAK
]
Simply superb!
Give its sizes.
If it is possible for more information to send on my е-mail: [email protected]
Dec 05, 2007, 06:21 AM
Starting to Rebuild
Good deal Paul, I can't think of a happier moment than when a design turns out to be a really good one.
Dec 05, 2007, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
She is built from RediBoard from Dollar Tree. The wing is 60" and the fuz is 30". As a pure glider she will thermal exceptionally well. As an e-glider she will still thermal very well also. I covered the entire plane in .75 glass and wbpu. I'm sure that if you were gentle withther you could simply run some strong take along the leading edge. If the tail plane was moved down she would make a decent DLG as well.
I do not have the ability to put my plans up on the net but if you would like a set of drawings PM me and I will get them out to you.

WingNut, after the Holidays we will have another build day and I think it will be for the AngelFire. I will let you know the date.
Dec 05, 2007, 08:07 AM
Winging it >
Congratulations Paul. Good looks and good flier too; way to go!

Video would be nice if possible.
Dec 05, 2007, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Congratulations Paul. Good looks and good flier too; way to go!

Video would be nice if possible.
no, plans first

Quick Reply