Dec 02, 2007, 05:30 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Build Log

1/3 Scale Pratt Reid

Well, now that the tug is almost done it's time to move on to the next project......as the title states: "1/3 Scale Pratt Reid". I had a 1/4 scale that I acquired in the mid 90's from a friend that inherited it from a friend of his who built it in the mid 80's......I updated it with new servo's and flew the pants off of it But......this past spring I had a mishap on tow and she is no more.....in hind sight....I stayed on tow way to long......had gotten way to comfortable with the plane....ie: took it for granted......and when I called out that I had released...well it hadn't......the tug dove and took it with it and ripped one of the wings off....funny thing....it didn't fly very good with one wing! Since then I've added back the red flag to the glider end of the tow line....so I know it is released.... I had a good 10 years with it and hundreds of flights......I had also wanted to do a 1/3 scale of it but never had the motivation.....well I do now!

First things first..... I needed a new drawing to build from.....I didn't get any drawings with the plane when I got it but I did get all the documentation that was used to build it....I also have the Simions 3 - view....which is wrong by the way.... The rudder as drawn is to large and a different shape then what was built. I corrected that and I was off!

I always start with the tails of my planes first......easier to build and you have something to show quickly....that and with them hanging on the wall they guilt you into working on the rest of the plane.

Construction is going to be a bit different on this one.....wings, tail, and boom will be typical framed with balsa ribs for the tails and ply for the wing ribs....the sheeting is all 1/32" for all surfaces.

As of today I have the rudder and elevator/stab complete....the boom is partially done waiting for the pod to be constructed so I can work out the attachment between the two....

Speaking of the pod....that is where I'm going to deviate from standard model building practice and the pod is going to be welded up from 1/4" steel rod....the full size uses 3/4" steel tube for the pod.... I have a picture of a stripped down pod that's posted below but if anyone has a better picture of a bare bones pod it would be much appreciated to have a copy.

I currently have Tony Elliott cutting me some test ribs for the wing so I can work out the scale joiner that I plan to use...... on to the pictures!!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2007, 05:52 PM
My first ride was in a Pratt Reid at Wurtsboro NY. It was out of commission before I started lessons on a 2-22. There was a guy named Baker rebuilding one there but I don't know what happened to it or to him.

In those days I read that there were 24 Pratt Reids in license.

Hmm... My log says the flight was on Oct 6th in '63 and I had two lessons in the 2-22 before that. If I hadn't looked it up I would have believed anyone if they told me that. It's spelled Reed in my log book! Maybe the whole thing is wrong.

Pete
Dec 02, 2007, 05:56 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
It's spelled Reed in my log book! Maybe the whole thing is wrong.
Pete
Very cool......spelling of the name is all over the place......I've seen Reed, Ried, Reid ...... the guy who designed it is listed as a Mr. Reid so that's what I went with!
Dec 02, 2007, 06:25 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Next up was hinging for the elevator....Robart large hinge points where used....I cut circles out of 1/4" ply to support the hinge at the stab... I drilled the hole first and then cut it out with the scroll saw.....a piece of tape is stuck to the circle right before it is cut free....I learned that after searching for the first one for 5 minutes! After that the rudder was next...same as the elevator.
Dec 02, 2007, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16
Very cool......spelling of the name is all over the place......I've seen Reed, Ried, Reid ...... the guy who designed it is listed as a Mr. Reid so that's what I went with!
They don't give spelling tests to flying instructors!

I can attribute my excellent spelling to the spell checker in my computer.

That doesn't cover names, but after a while stuff starts to stick. I still have problems with 'necessary,' and if it wasn't for the spell checker you'd see my clumsy attempt at that word.

Nice work BTW.

Pete
Dec 02, 2007, 10:57 PM
Vintage Flyer
There is a full scale Pratt Read on display at the Hoosier Air Museum at the Dekalb County airport at Auburn Indiana.
Dec 02, 2007, 11:15 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
There is a full scale Pratt Read on display at the Hoosier Air Museum at the Dekalb County airport at Auburn Indiana.
Is it on the floor and can someone get pictures of the inside of the pod?
Dec 03, 2007, 01:49 AM
Vintage Flyer
Yes, it's actually setting on a trailer, I had it stored for them for a long time , it is in horrible shape( corrosion and rust) and will never fly again, however it could be used to make patterns for a new one.
I'll have to call my buddy, he's the curator and historian, and I think they closed the museum the day before Thanksgiving until spring. Maybe he'd let me in to take some pics.
he's a photographer himself, a quite well known one. he's the guy who took the atomic bomb damage assesement of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.His name is Bill Jones.
Part of Bill's picture display is now in the Smithsonian.
I'll see him in person this next weekend at our EAA Christmas party, I'll ask him then, that's on December 8.
Dec 03, 2007, 01:54 AM
auto-tune remix
Are you going to make a set of plans for sale out of this project? I'd love to build one, though I was thinking more like 1/4 scale.

Great work BTW, and a totally undermodeled subject.
Dec 03, 2007, 03:03 AM
nice work SZD, I can't say I've ever heard of one of these before, interesting creature kind of like a very rough schneider platypus
Dec 03, 2007, 08:16 AM
It was a WWII navy training ship AFAIK. Dick Johnson, who later became a world class glider pilot once bailed out of one. There were a total of 75 built. The one I flew in was noisy and drafty. Nothing sealed well.

Pete

Quick Reply