Apr 05, 2008, 05:25 PM
Dak

When I put the v-tail together I made an assembly jig of scrap fan fold. I just made a V of two sections and hot melt glued it to a fan fold base. I then set the two stab halves in it and hot melt glued them together. Once this is done then you can prop them up on the fuselage and tack it with hot melt glue. When you are happy with the alignment "weld it on" with hot melt glue. This will make doing this easy eneough if you want to build more Blu-Sails it will be a snap to duplicate the process.

As far as how much wind this plane will take you will be surprised. I never got any slopes to soar on, but the last flight I made was power assist in 15 to 25mph winds. Lots of fun in the air, but you need to be real steady coming in for landing. No quick stick movements, and be ready to abort and go around again.

You will need some time with the plane before trying the high winds. This is one good flyer for your investment in time and inexpensive materials.

Good Luck
Rolland
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm more of a visual person. A photo of the v-tail jig would be really helpful. Thanks!
LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Benson
Dak

When I put the v-tail together I made an assembly jig of scrap fan fold. I just made a V of two sections and hot melt glued it to a fan fold base. I then set the two stab halves in it and hot melt glued them together. Once this is done then you can prop them up on the fuselage and tack it with hot melt glue. When you are happy with the alignment "weld it on" with hot melt glue. This will make doing this easy eneough if you want to build more Blu-Sails it will be a snap to duplicate the process.

As far as how much wind this plane will take you will be surprised. I never got any slopes to soar on, but the last flight I made was power assist in 15 to 25mph winds. Lots of fun in the air, but you need to be real steady coming in for landing. No quick stick movements, and be ready to abort and go around again.

You will need some time with the plane before trying the high winds. This is one good flyer for your investment in time and inexpensive materials.

Good Luck
Rolland
Apr 05, 2008, 07:18 PM
LG

I'll get a photo up for you as soon as I get home from this trip. It will probably be the first part of the week. I'm in West Virginia now, but home is Michigan.

Rolland
Apr 07, 2008, 06:16 PM
LG

After building this jig place the stabalizer pieces inverted onto the jig. Tack with the hot melt glue to hold the correct angle.
The the tail assembly can be transfered to the aircraft.
Align the assembly on the fuselage and tack hot melt glue in place.
Then you can finish hot melt glueing once you are satisfied with the alignment.
Last edited by Rolland Benson; Apr 07, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: pictures did not attach
Apr 07, 2008, 07:13 PM

V-Tail Jig

Thank you so much for the photos... Awesome jig, it's definitely worth building. It's perfect for my next project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Benson
LG

After building this jig place the stabalizer pieces inverted onto the jig. Tack with the hot melt glue to hold the correct angle.
The the tail assembly can be transfered to the aircraft.
Align the assembly on the fuselage and tack hot melt glue in place.
Then you can finish hot melt glueing once you are satisfied with the alignment.
Apr 10, 2008, 05:12 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Well I foolishly thought spring was here but we just got a 7 inches of snow with more on the way! Ugh! Guess I will have to wait a few more weeks till warmer weather.
Dak
Apr 18, 2008, 06:01 AM
The weather has finally changed eneough to make flying doable and fun. I now have over 12 hours fly time on this airframe and it is doing great. This plane will stay in the air so long you sure do not want to fly it when it is cold, have to stay out there too long.

Hope the other Blu-Sail builders out there are doing as well.

Rolland
Apr 18, 2008, 01:29 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
We had "another" spring snow storm so I am still flying my EStarter on skis! I am looking forward to flying mine, how well is yours thermalling Rolland? I guess I should stop complaining and finish painting mine (Start?)
Dak
Apr 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
Dak

The weather is warmer and nicer here, but I haven't grabbed what I would call a thermal yet. I have caught a few updrafts of some sort from time to time though.

Once in the air it does take very little throttle to stay up. I have made a few flights as high as I felt comfortable and then turned the motor off. The other day it took over five minutes to coast down to where I had to throttle up again.

Even if I never get a thermal this is still a great plane. It will fly way more wind than any other foamy I have which is something I really like.

Rolland
Apr 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
i purchased a blue wonder for my blu-sail and am having trouble finding info on 3S setups. are any of you guys running these on 3S? if so, what props are you using? thanks in advance.
Apr 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am using GWS 8x4 DD and 8x4.3 SF on my BW's with 3S
Dave
Apr 28, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
which blue wonder did you buy? 1300? 1700?
Apr 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat
which blue wonder did you buy? 1300? 1700?
it's the 1300KV version. i'm hoping to find a cheap folding prop for this one.
May 01, 2008, 10:25 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Here you go, this is what I used on mine! You will have to drill it out to get to 3mm.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4331

Oh, 1300's love 3 cells while the 1700's do well on two cell but can run on 3's just not as effecient as the 1300's.
Dak...
May 06, 2008, 07:51 AM
Wing Flex

On my original Blu-Sail I experienced alot of wing flex. It would bow alot under high G manuvers and you could see it bounce, or flex, when making low passes across the landing area in wind. This plane crashed due to pilot error to the point it needed replacement.

When Imade the new plane I decided to improve the flex issue of the wing. I had some carbon fibre tube laying around and added this to the center wing section only as a spar. After four flight tests of this I must say it is a huge improvement. The plane now flies with a nice stiff wing and it handles better. Also with this addition you can pull inside and outside loops with confidence.

Quick Reply