Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 18, 2008, 08:35 AM
Dak

Sounds like the "Blue Wonder" would work to me. It is a little lighter than what I am using. My motor weighs 1.3 oz. and has a KV rating of around 950.

Also you sound like you are going to use way lighter batteries than I did. My pack was a 3s lipoly rated at 1500 ma. Also it isn't an expensive pack and is probably on the heavy side.

I am sure your results will be good with this plane as mine flies really well. It still amazes me that we can build these and have them fly so well. Less than $5.00 of fff and you have a plane.

Good Luck
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Well I think that I will try my blue wonder but I will use a bigger battery but this is a big glider so I'm not sure it will have the oomph to get it up if the wind starts blowing.
Dak...
Mar 19, 2008, 11:08 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat
Well I think that I will try my blue wonder but I will use a bigger battery but this is a big glider so I'm not sure it will have the oomph to get it up if the wind starts blowing.
Dak...
Dak... If you build it light, The Blu-Sail won't need a lot of power. It has amazing lift and will perform well for you. Good Luck. Bob
Mar 20, 2008, 02:12 AM
Bob--I plan to build a Blu-sail, and have a couple of questions? Do you use any right or down thrust on the motor? Did you build yours with the landing gear? Do you think the Blue Wonder motor is enough for spirited performance? Thanks for the help you and all those on this thread give to those of us who aren't as experienced as you. Carl
Mar 23, 2008, 05:23 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Ok, I am going out to get the plans printed up today, I have one question as well; the one strip that is for the v-tail support how does that attach? Top, bottom?
Dak..
Mar 23, 2008, 07:39 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Moss
Bob--I plan to build a Blu-sail, and have a couple of questions? Do you use any right or down thrust on the motor? Did you build yours with the landing gear? Do you think the Blue Wonder motor is enough for spirited performance? Thanks for the help you and all those on this thread give to those of us who aren't as experienced as you. Carl
Hi Carl, sorry to be so long answering your post. I did put about 2 degrees down thrust in my blu-sail. I put a 2" foam wheel just forward of the cg half concealed in the fuse. The BW will fly the plane fine, I wouldn't call the performance spirited but you will have a good climb rate, and that's all you need. Good luck with the build. Bob
Mar 23, 2008, 07:47 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Ok, I am going out to get the plans printed up today, I have one question as well; the one strip that is for the v-tail support how does that attach? Top, bottom?
Dak..
I didn't use that method on the prototype. Instead, I reinforced the insides of the fuse at the tail area and cut the inserts at angles to match the v-tail. I glued the v-tail together first, then used epoxy to join the completed tail to the tail. It has proven very strong, just make sure your alignment is right before things set up. Bob
Mar 23, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Quote:
Dak..
Dak, the piece that you're referring to glues onto the side parallel to the centerline. Each stab section glues into the corner the piece forms with the fuse. If that sound a little confusing I can do a pic for you.

Tony
Mar 23, 2008, 10:23 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Sure thing Tony, put up a pic and end my sad confusion!
Dak
Mar 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Sure thing Tony, put up a pic and end my sad confusion!
Dak
Here you go Dak. I hope this is clear. If not, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Tony
Mar 24, 2008, 02:35 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Excellent! That clears up everything, I couldn't see the strip in the other pictures. I thought the "V" sat on top not on the sides like that.

Dak...
Mar 24, 2008, 02:37 PM
Cool
Mar 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
what do you guys think of glassing this with mini-wax?
Mar 24, 2008, 07:07 PM
Tony

Is there there a wood spar in the center wing section? I have 3 hours 45 minutes flight time on mine now and have noticed the center section is showing stress wrinkles.
I had some flat bamboo from a placemat and have added this to the wing as a turbulator strip in the center section. This has stiffened the wing and it looks like it will survive for awhile longer.

I don't know if this is something I have done, but the ideal CG is closer to 25% of the root chord, back from the leading edge. I tried it farther back, but flies much better with it forward. I thought most of the data I had read on the KFm wing had it more rearward than this. Beats me, but it works

The plane is flying well. It loops and even got it to fly a little upside down.

Flight times with the 1500 ma battery are an easy 30 minutes guaranteed. I had one flight today that I landed after 38 minutes and still had reserve power.

Thanks
Rolland
Mar 25, 2008, 03:38 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Hmm... That's why I was wondering about, dropping the bamboo and Miniwaxing the bottom of the wing and and Fuse....

Quick Reply