Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 14, 2011, 02:59 PM
Jack
Not much going here, thought I would do a wake up call.

My Blu Sail II will be two years old next month and is still flying fine. I've put four batteries through in the last couple of week while out with my FB Jerry_In_Maine. He is fine tuning a Bird of Time that he bought.

It was two meter or so ARF with a fibreglass fuselage and pre-built Monocote or something like that covered wing. It is definitely a better glider than the BS II but for five or six times as much money it is not not *that* much better.

I'm toying with rubbing a glider with money, been sort of interested in the Raptor 2000 from R2 Hobbies and have been following that thread a little:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1507043

Is it just me or does buying something instead of building seem like a cop out?

Maybe it is because I am still in remorse about destroying the wing on Big Blu 96 a while back on a radio failure or something like that BB 96 will be back though...

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Jackerbes,

Not just you. Something about building your own glider and thermaling, kind of like catching trout on a fly you tied yourself.

Don
Nov 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
treefinder
I'm with both of you, building, testing, tuning and eventually getting my own creations flying is the best! I have a Gentle Lady that I built from the kit, and an Aspire arf that I was given, and I'd have to say that my goto glider is still my OSG 60" span from DS foam, though it might be a blusail if I'd done one! The foamie gliders just seem to stay up there longer and better than the balsa ones for me.
Nov 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm with all of you guys. When you buy something that was created by someone else there is a kind of disconnect. But, when you build something with your own two hands and make changes that suit you, you are putting yourself into it and identifying with it completely. In a way, it is a part of you. So, when you get that plane up into the sky, part of you is up there too.
It is a wonderful feeling and this great hobby gives us the chance to enjoy, learn and expand our knowledge. And, it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.
There is also the exchange of ideas and learning from each other even though we may never meet face to face. This is the greatest group of people on the planet.
Nov 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
Jack
"..The foamie gliders just seem to stay up there longer and better than the balsa ones for me..."

You really think so? My FB's balsa winged/fibreglass fuselage BOT was obviously much, much cleaner in the glide and really lingered on the descent. It has determalizers that are not being used yet and I can see where the BOT is going to be a lot easier for him to land once he get's those working. The BOT just didn't seem to want to ever quit flying...

I think if I was flying at a club with other gliders I would like to have a plane that performs better. I think I would have gotten into the ALES thing by now if one was nearby (not several hours away as it is now). And that would probably have me working at improving the descent rate.

And in all fairness to the BS II, I don't have the lightest build nor have I really worked at reducing the drag any.

Jack
Aug 15, 2012, 11:45 AM

Maiden Report

Built, and flown yesterday and today again in 7 plus mph winds
blue wonder 1300 kv 8x4 prop
18 amp esc
1300 mah 3s battery
AUW 403g or approx18 oz

Had some issues learning about ruddervators otherwise o.k.
COG abt. 2.5" from LE
Last edited by davovinch; Aug 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add
Mar 11, 2019, 05:38 PM

New BluSail II

Hi all,
Opening this thread up anew.

When I saw this design with the V tail I couldn't resist building. For the monobloc I used 2 pieces if 3/4" foam with a 1/8" balsa sandwiched between. It makes the frontal area bigger but I figured if the motor firewall is 1.5" then make the whole fuselage that size. It doesn't add much weight. Actually it ended up being 2" wide but that gave plenty of room for electronics. All is built from $tree except the tail which is the same size but came from WalMart and is black all the way thru. I left the paper on that but stripped if off everything else. I put a 2mm carbon rod inside the wing with an aluminum tube bent to the dihedral joining the inner & outer wing parts. Because the wing seemed really flexible I taped a 3mm carbon rod on the top of the wing.

So here's the glide test in my back yard. AUW is 510 gm including the motor & 2S battery. GC is just a little aft of 2.75" from the wing LE. You can see the wing still flex up while flying. But then the B-52s have pretty flexible wings too.

Cheers,
Jim

Quick Reply