Feb 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
I have had this plane built and equiped for some time and today it warmed up a little and the wind let up to a reasonable amount. Other than some balance problems the flight went well. I still have to make some balance and trim adjustments, but this plane flies way better than you would think possible. I used a GWS 002 outrunner and the climb rate is amazing. Once at altitude it takes very little motor to get around the sky. For the landing I turned the motor off to check out the glide. Even at 24* temps this has a very good glide. I anticipate when things warm up and the thermals are around this should be alot of fun.

Thanks for the help with the questions I had.

Thanks to Tony for another outstanding design!!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2008, 08:21 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Benson
I have had this plane built and equiped for some time and today it warmed up a little and the wind let up to a reasonable amount. Other than some balance problems the flight went well. I still have to make some balance and trim adjustments, but this plane flies way better than you would think possible. I used a GWS 002 outrunner and the climb rate is amazing. Once at altitude it takes very little motor to get around the sky. For the landing I turned the motor off to check out the glide. Even at 24* temps this has a very good glide. I anticipate when things warm up and the thermals are around this should be alot of fun.

Thanks for the help with the questions I had.

Thanks to Tony for another outstanding design!!!
Hey Rolland.... Great to hear from you. Congrat's on the maiden of your Blu-Sail.

Post some pics when you get a chance. It is a sweet machine.

I have to rebuild my again since I managed to nail a light pole dead center and split my wing.Bob
Feb 21, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Hey Rolland, very cool. I wondered if you ever finished the Blu-Sail II. Congrats on a very successful maiden. IMAGINE how good the 72" glides (lol).

Tony
Feb 22, 2008, 04:35 PM
Bob & Tony

I haven't forgot to saend a photo. I have tried to do this and apparently I'm not smart eneough to figure out how to do it. I will keep trying to figure this out or find someone who can teach me how to do it. I will check with one of the local guys who is a computer tech.

Tony
Do you have published plans on the net for the 72" glider?

Thanks
Rolland
Feb 22, 2008, 07:29 PM
No Rolland, I've never published them.

Posting a pic is easy. First, "Go Advanced" then scroll down to "Manage Attachments". Click on that, click on "Browse", find the pic and press "Upload"

That's it, nothing to it. Looking forward to seeing your pics,

Tony
Feb 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
Well guys we will see if this works. This is my first attempt at posting a picture. No in flight photo, no film crew.

After some minor adjustments this is getting to be afun airplane.

Thanks for the tips on posting.

Tony, is the 72" glider just a scaled up version of this one?
Feb 25, 2008, 12:26 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Well guys we will see if this works. This is my first attempt at posting a picture. No in flight photo, no film crew.

Way to go Rolland.... It's beautiful... Congrats. Bob
Feb 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
Like the background. Nice looking plane, can't wait to build one... What is your motor/prop/batt setup? Your motor looks like one of the TowerPro special.

Quote:

Feb 25, 2008, 05:25 PM
Quote:

Great looking pic Rolland and great looking build too!

No, the 72" isn't a scaled up version. There are some design differences.

Tony
Feb 26, 2008, 06:18 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
RB , Great pic !!! That's a really nice looking glider too !!! Thermal time in Corona land ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 26, 2008, 11:58 AM
LittleG

The motor is a Tower Pro 2410-12 with a GWS 8-4 HD prop.

Rolland
Feb 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks! I have this motor in my spare motor box.

I'm thinking about using a folding prop.

Quote:
LittleG

The motor is a Tower Pro 2410-12 with a GWS 8-4 HD prop.

Rolland
Mar 17, 2008, 07:47 PM
Since the last report on the flying of this plane I have made some changes. The motor is mow a GWS oo2 outrunner with a 8-4 HD prop. I used this to get rid of the weight I had on the tail to balance the other motor. This motor weighs 1/2 ounce less. Then I installed a 1500ma battery.

The climb out is excellent and this thing just wants to stay up and ride the wind when it is time to come down. Currently flight times are being limited by hands going numb from the cold.

One thing does concern me is when the weather changes and I can stay up as long as I want how will I know when to start coming in? Doubt I will hear the motor even if it is running at the altitudes this will fly. Also if you have the motor off and are just flying around on the air currents you will never know if the battery voltage is going too low.

I'm sure some one has run into this with a motorized glider.

One thing is for sure is that this is a very good design by tony once again. How else would you build a glider so cheap and have it fly so well also.

Thanks to tony 65x55 and all who have helped me on this plane.
Mar 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
AMA 8614
Thread OP
Quote:
Since the last report on the flying of this plane I have made some changes. The motor is mow a GWS oo2 outrunner with a 8-4 HD prop. I used this to get rid of the weight I had on the tail to balance the other motor. This motor weighs 1/2 ounce less. Then I installed a 1500ma battery.

The climb out is excellent and this thing just wants to stay up and ride the wind when it is time to come down. Currently flight times are being limited by hands going numb from the cold.

One thing does concern me is when the weather changes and I can stay up as long as I want how will I know when to start coming in? Doubt I will hear the motor even if it is running at the altitudes this will fly. Also if you have the motor off and are just flying around on the air currents you will never know if the battery voltage is going too low.

I'm sure some one has run into this with a motorized glider.

One thing is for sure is that this is a very good design by tony once again. How else would you build a glider so cheap and have it fly so well also.

Thanks to tony 65x55 and all who have helped me on this plane.
Rolland.... It's great to hear how well your Blu-Sail is flying. It is one sweet bird for sure. I'm not much help on the technicalities of batteries, but I think you can estimate your run time mathematically based on the draw of your motor vs. your battery capacity. Since you are not power-on all the time, I'm sure you have 4-5 times the normal flight times. Even if you reach low voltage cut-off your battery will recover enough to give you a short burst or two on your return for landing. Good luck.. Bob
Mar 18, 2008, 05:49 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
So what is the verdict on motors for this glider? Can I go for a 24 gram "Blue wonder" or 400XT brushless? I have a folding prop so I guess I will need some sort of cowl too. What is a good size battery? I have a large assortment...

My thoughts were to go light with the blue wonder (1300) and a 500mah 3c. Just enough to get it up to altitude, or do I need more oomph?
Dak...

Quick Reply