Dec 01, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Build Log

BluCor - Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar"....profile scale,built from 3-view drawings

I have always liked the profile of the Nakajima Hayabusa, so I decided to build a profile scale from 3-view drawings I found online.

This build log will show you the steps I used to complete this airplane.....enjoy.

Step one:

convert and scale the 3-view drawing.
Last edited by Rad Racer; Dec 02, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2007, 11:21 PM

My first build.

This is my first build. The test flights went ok, but found it needed a few tweeks before it is ready for prime time
Dec 01, 2007, 11:33 PM
The plans were scaled for a 24" wingspan. The plans were printed using a 60" inkjet plotter.

I cut out the plans with a Exacto blade. The plan templates are traced onto the BluCor foam using a Sharpie pen.....the residual ink is easily removed with rubbing alcohol.

BluCor cuts easily with a "fresh" exacto blade.
Last edited by Rad Racer; Dec 02, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Dec 01, 2007, 11:51 PM
Fuselage assembly is easy and quick. My design uses a lock/alignment tab system that makes for a straight/strong fuselage.

I have found "Gorilla Glue" works perfect with BluCor. I use a light Coat of Gorilla glue on all the joining surfaces then simple slide the fuse parts together for assembly.

Although this glue is meant to have the surfaces wetted before the glue is applied....I discovered if you do not wet the surfaces the glue still works, but you don't get so much foaming from the joint on to other surfaces.

I really believe Gorilla glue will replace epoxy.....it's that good!
Last edited by Rad Racer; Dec 02, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Dec 02, 2007, 09:06 AM
The pros and cons of Gorillia glue is the it foams, and it foams.

Good to expand and foam up a bit to get all those hollow spots, but bad to foam since it leaks out all the edges too.

One way around leaking out is to put painters tape over the seam line, stops the foaming out.
Dec 02, 2007, 09:17 AM
Good hint....I will keep that in mind as I complete this build.

thanks
Wayne
Dec 02, 2007, 09:44 AM
The airfoil shape is added to the wing with the following technique....it's really slick.

I first saw this method used by the guys at Rabidmodels.com. To my knowledge, they use this method of airfoil forming on all their foamy warbirds. Checkout their website, they have some really cool warplanes.

This process gives the wing a natural curve or airfoil shape, you also get tip washout if the fold lines are layed out correctly.

I found the sharp edge of a board works great for creating these creases, it does not cut into the plastic skin.
Last edited by Rad Racer; Dec 02, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Dec 02, 2007, 10:00 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
Nice build, do you have the vector version of the plans to share?
Thanks
Mark
Dec 02, 2007, 10:11 AM
Here you can see the natural arc or airfoil shape created by creasing the under side of the wing.

The wing slides nicely into the ClarkY cutout in the fuselage.

During the test flights of the prototype, I found the plane wanted to climb excessively, in-fact I needed a fair amount of down elevator just to maintain level flight.

At first I thought my CG was off, but found even shifting and adding nose weight really didn't help. My next thought was that my thrust line was postive...that to checked out fine and wasn't the problem.

I went back to my plans and looked at the incidence angle of the wing....it was 3 deg., exactly where it should be. I started to wonder about the airfoil and where it started to generate lift. After some quick analysis with Profi Pro, I discovered the problem.....a ClarkY foil starts generating lift at -3 degrees. My original design added +3 degrees of incidence, so the wing effectively had 6 deg of incidence, too much for this model.
Dec 02, 2007, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242
Nice build, do you have the vector version of the plans to share?
Thanks
Mark

Thankyou. I will share the plans, but I am not sure of the best format.

I typically like to use DXF files, but see many of the plans on RC Groups are in paged PDF format so people can print them on their home printer.

Not sure how these "paged" PDF files are made, so if someone wants to volunteer to make the PDF file...I will gladly supply the design in DXF format.
Dec 02, 2007, 01:32 PM
How is this for a profile match, almost looks like the real thing (well, accept for the tail in the snow bank thing)
Dec 02, 2007, 07:38 PM
Enough for today....time to let the glue setup.
Dec 02, 2007, 08:18 PM

Hayabusa plans

Here are the plans for the Hayabusa.
Last edited by Rad Racer; Dec 02, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Dec 02, 2007, 08:46 PM
Looks great. Another good profile foamie - don't forget to add it to the list of plans at the start of this forum.