My IOM scratch build... Vanquish - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 07, 2007, 03:10 AM
Will have to look at the stations and see if they are in cad or PDF. If the spacing is different it wont be a good comparison.

I just finished splitting out all the Laerke frames into a DXF file so I can get them laser cut. Now to decide on the thickness I want for planking. I will try and lay out a fin it I can find enough time.

John
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2007, 03:05 PM
The Noux doesnt have the frames in CAD, so I just overlaid the Noux 3d model with the Vanquish frames. you can see that the Noux has a much higher bow and slightly less flair, with a slight bulge down low. Transoms are about the same.

I also put the Laerke over the top as well. A little cluttered, but you can see the biggest difference is that its transom doesnt come back in. more of a TS-2 design.

John
Dec 07, 2007, 06:57 PM
Looks great hew.
How'd it cure?
Thanks for the pics John.
Dec 08, 2007, 12:31 AM
I sanded the hull a bit and brushed a thin coat on to fill the pin holes. I also flipped over the cockpit and glassed the inside. I was able to glass and bag the foredeck after cutting the access/lightening holes in it. Photos tomorrow after I open it up.

I spent a couple of hours at the bench sander shaping 3 fins. They look pretty good so far. Photos tomorrow too.

I removed the hull from the forms and sanded the inside. I hope to bag a layer of 2oz glass on the inside tomorrow.
Last edited by hew565; Dec 08, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Dec 08, 2007, 03:49 AM
Hello all,

Reading with much interest. I made the shadows for the Vanquish and will be building one as well. My goal is a poor mans IOM, scratch built. I'm still considering building the boat cold molded, but I keep wondering if it can be done, just on the twenty shadows.
Dec 08, 2007, 03:39 PM
The bagging is going well! I have another hour or two before the epoxy is cured enough to turn off the pump.

Don't scrimp on plastic. Make the bag plenty big enough to fit the hull inside. I'm not sure the pressure, but when hooked to a vacuum press, the pump pulls about 25" of mercury. There may be some leaks, so I expect it is less than that, but not much.
Dec 08, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm looking forward to learning the weights once this phase is complete. Again, it's looking really good so far.
Dec 08, 2007, 07:47 PM
Personally before glassing the inside of the boat I would have waited a bit.

The epoxied inside will make it harder to glue keel box and other parts in the inside (epoxy does not bond well to harden epoxy) and I would have checked for pinholes in the outside glass layer first before sealing the inside.

Gio
Dec 09, 2007, 07:56 PM
The hull came out of the bag and looks great. I wish I could figure out a way to bag the outer layer of glass too. The hull is up to about 300g at this point. The 2oz/yd2 glass and resin added about 60g to the weight. Now to the sanding.

I'll probably coat the deck and cockpit with a microlight and epoxy mix to fill the weave. I've never had a problem with epoxy bonding to other epoxy, but I always rough up the surface too.
Dec 11, 2007, 06:00 PM
60g for cloth and resin isnt bad. I usually add 2 oz or so just sealing the inside with epoxy only. Vac bagging is the way to go.

John
Dec 11, 2007, 09:06 PM
I agree. I have not done it before, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and the amount of resin that was pressed out! I bagged carbon on the shaped plywood fin today. When it was cured enough, I put resin on a layer of 4oz glass to cover the carbon, to give me something to sand without hitting the carbon layer. I squeeged the resin out as much as I could, then put it under vacuum. Once again I couldn't believe how much resin came out through the blanket layer. I should have done both layers at the same time, but wasn't thinking far enough ahead.

I also epoxied the cockpit to the hull. I leveled up the hull in a set of cradles. Then used a laser "level" to shoot a vertical line down the hull. I made sure to line up the center of the bow, stern, and some of the forward shadows that have a C/L printed on them. Hopefully it will all come out symetrical!
Dec 12, 2007, 06:32 AM
Scotland
Hey Hew,
That one meter is looking the business, and light too. Well done!
Been following with interest, as our club is thinking of moving from Marbleheads over to IOM's in the next few years.
Good luck with the rest of her.

Barry
Dec 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
the cockpit has been glued in place. I just got my sail servo in and will be making the finbox, mast box, and servo mounts in the next few days. The fin has been layered with some carbon and needs to be coated once more with epoxy to get a good finish so I can make the fin box.

The Noux hull now has a layer of 4oz glass and epoxy on it. Ready to be removed from the shadows and the inside glassed.
Dec 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Beeeeutiful!!! Very nice work!
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
Dec 22, 2007, 12:20 AM
Do anything for a Mach 1
Your build is beautiful. Amazing work. Thank you for posting.

One little note - do you have the budget to use high quality foils. They say that most IOM designs are somewhat equal these days and the dirfference in performance is mostly found in the rig and foils - see the new World champ Brad Gibson using a 10 year old hull design but fitted with new efficent foils. I used to race a widget and loved the way it went in all conditions. Better foils would have been great !!