Sep 20, 2019, 08:30 PM
Walt, you probably need to do a dive test to confirm the CG......it could be nose heavy?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 09:02 PM
Fun time at Dave's today

Looking forward to Torrey tomorrow!
Sep 20, 2019, 09:02 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
Walt, you probably need to do a dive test to confirm the CG......it could be nose heavy?
Can not do a dive test off a 3 foot hill!

I balanced at the spot shown on the plans.

There will be experts there tomorrow.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:23 AM
Ok ok I'll go online & pay for my AMA in the morning, print out the receipt, finish the Wind Drifter, & get there by 2pm.

Mike F. I'll bring my Rotor also.

Yeah Dave's Beach was fun today. Mike F. was flying his Ka-8 & I was flying my L-13, both about 80" wingspan, and were doing close formation flying, low level passes, racing them, and trying to do touch & go's. Good times. Wish I got a photo of them in close formation. It looked cool!

Walt, it's a trainer glider & not meant to be responsive. More experienced pilots, ie, not beginners, would modify the rudder to make it a split fin rudder. If you were talking about the elevator, I would agree with Ward and consider moving the CG back. If you don't want to cut the top half of the fin off & glue it to the rudder, then make sure you have as much Rudder throw as possible with your radio settings, and a long control horn on the servo and use the closest hole on the control horn to the rudder. Just my opinion.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Sep 21, 2019 at 05:05 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:56 AM
man oh man what a good, sunny day at Torrey.

Thanks for all the fun guys. Lots of cool planes.

Got to talk to the falcon guy, he's pretty rad. Those peregrine's can do 200+ in a dive and they only weigh a pound.

I don't remember everyone's names, but I really had a blast.

Ben or 'Mid7night' who often shows up in Flite Test stuff was there - super cool guy, brought an old rare T-tail from the 80s

and you sir with the rc paraglider, I really appreciate you letting me try that out despite the turbulence induced chute collapses. What a cool and unique thing to try.

Chuck had a mishap, but I think he was just going trying to see how fast he could dissasemble an airplane.. he nailed it 10/10 pieces
Sep 22, 2019, 07:22 AM

Torrey Pines Fun Fly

It was indeed a good, sunny day at Torrey yesterday. It’s great to see so many nostalgic planes of the past, and to see many guys from the past return to Torrey. Here’s a few photos.

Mark Baldacchino
Sep 22, 2019, 11:33 AM
Old newb
What a day! What a day! I think all present can agree the Old School and Crunchy Day Fun Fly was a success!!!!

We had it all there. Except a few. I know there are more classics lurking (waiting to at least see daylight, if not fly again) in the hangers. I know I do. Windfree, Wanderer, BoT, CR Climmax, Drifter, Oly, Paragon, etc...... (all need help to fly again, in my case.)

This year, in case you did not notice, is the 50th anniversary of the Windward design!

I know of 3 flying examples of the Windward (and a handful of kits,) so there are a few still around. Two of the flyers were present. Both flew together yesterday. Craig H remarked he had not seen one out in forever, let alone 2 at the same time! THAT friends, is what this gathering is all about.

Yesterday was the first time I actually flew a Windward for more than a minute or so!!! My first one was built about 45 years ago. It was the second RC model I built and the first flown (always briefly.). Once trimmed, thanks Craig, it flew OK. I now know why I was not that successful with it all those years ago. Besides not knowing what zi was doing, It flys like a sailboat. It takes forever to turn! It is docile, but requires skill to not do typically stupid things. I remember some of those typically stupid things to this day. Thinking about it, the best flight (singular) I had was with an 049 strapped to the top at El Mirage. That was around the time I soloed as a teenager in a real sailplane and dropped RC toys. Who wouldn’t?

My Windward is a bitsa plane. I bought the fuselage a few Katie Tributes back. The wing came from the estate of Kenny Tagami. This Windward is not perfect but I feel like Kenny might have been helping along. RIP.

I flew 3 of my oldies yesterday. Purple Haze Hobie Hawk, Zinger and the Red Baron Windward.

I had a great time!
Last edited by r39o; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:53 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 11:48 AM
Yea nice job guys!

Well I finally did it, I renewed my AMA from 2012, and it was nice to be out there and see all the beautiful perfectly made and covered nostalgic planes. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite able to finish the Windrifter I am restoring for my wife to learn to fly on, and that it's not going to be quite as nice as those that I saw there at Torrey yesterday, after all, she is going to be learning on it, so I'm not going to try and make it all perfect.

Dang I've got SO many projects and planes that need restoring. Guess I need to just take them one at a time, starting with the Windrifter, to finish that off so I can start teaching Laurie to fly, and she can go out flying with me.

BTW, is this an acceptable way to store models? lol

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:04 PM
Old newb
You have a guard dog, how wrong can you be?
Sep 22, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
What a day! What a day! I think all present can agree the Old School and Crunchy Day Fun Fly was a success!!!!

We had it all there. Except a few. I know there are more classics lurking (waiting to at least see daylight, if not fly again) in the hangers. I know I do. Windfree, Wanderer, BoT, CR Climmax, Drifter, Oly, Paragon, etc...... (all need help to fly again, in my case.)

This year, in case you did not notice, is the 50th anniversary of the Windward design!

I know of 3 flying examples (and a handful of kits,) so there are a few still around. Two of the flyers were present. Both flew together yesterday. Craig H remarked he had not seen one out in forever, let alone 2 at the same time! THAT friends, is what this gathering is all about.

More to follow.....
Walt, that's Tiki, a sweet dog we are fostering and trying to find a home for. We have 5 little dogs in little 2 b/r apt

You sound like me, like you've got plenty to choose from to bring to next months build night if you can make it.

EDIT (on the days)
There are some days this next week that it looks like it will be excellent conditions out at Horse Canyon; Mon., Sat., Sun., Mon.
Thursday though, I'm gonna get myself up to BV again, and have the Windrifter ready and give Laurie her first flying lesson.
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/buckmann_springs
If anyone wants to go, hit me up.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Sep 23, 2019 at 03:00 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:11 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
I rebalanced shortly before I flew it. I ended up adding weight and a tad extra. It has a 3 oz 2S 1450 mah LiFe battery (biggest I had that would fit and actually two would fit.) (1800 too long.) A bit over 4 oz of lead. 2 big ancient Airtronics servos in the middle of the cockpit and an AR6210 receiver and sat at the CG. All this even with a bunch of lightening holes aft of the wings.

After trimming, all rudder, it flew OK. I could not confirm it would drift to one side or not. But Craig H, who helped me, thought it did. I also did not dare the dive test. Conditions not strong enough to get too high with it. Plus I was amazed I was actually flying it since I really had only memories of marginal flights and crashes with my first one. My first flight was longer than I ever had as a youth. I was kind of awestruck actually. I flew it 3 times yesterday.

I have to admit even at maximum rudder throw, it felt like flying a sailboat. It seemed to take forever to start to turn but once it did, a little yank ( from bank and yank ) and she would whip around.

Stalls are a non event with this Windward too. She will stall but not drop to one side. I also statically balanced the wing end to end with a coin (nickel on one end.)

I know I need to make the servo install better. A PO had installed them, so I left the, alone, put realize they are not well setup. Since some bright person glued them in I thought to leave them be. But I have to deal with them sometime.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a good day, thank you.
Sep 24, 2019, 07:32 PM

Build Night Wed Oct 2

Hello everyone,

If anyone would like to come over and build, or BS, or both, I plan to be out in the garage next Wednesday, Oct 9th from 5 PM until 9 or so.

I plan on trying an experiment in bladder fuse molding...Dan C and I have don some preliminary testing and it went quite well. This new method works for unreinforced molds, even ones with cutouts, and NO noisey compressor necessary!

I'll supply pretzels and beer.

Ward
6387 Lakewood st.
San Diego, CA 92122
Last edited by Ward Hagaman; Sep 26, 2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Moved to Oct 9
Sep 24, 2019, 08:22 PM
Tentative RSVP here
Sep 24, 2019, 08:38 PM

Build Night Wed Oct 2

I'm in.......
Last edited by cb4004; Sep 24, 2019 at 08:50 PM.
Sep 24, 2019, 08:40 PM

Build Night Wed Oct 2

Duplicate, sorry
Last edited by cb4004; Sep 24, 2019 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply