Oct 25, 2020, 02:38 PM
Posse Board member
My girlfriend told me she knew where I could shove them .shezsh not very lady like .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2020, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1dog
Now bob,,,,,,
Ok im off at 1 pm tommorrow . . I will be up there for sure. All the old OG's have become pussified. True life stuff can put a damper on playing with our model toys. But
Dam mit im getting tired of flying by myself no offense bob. ........ Lol.
Well im going to go pop some popcorn.
Im sure a feather or two has been ruffled.
Oh man, just now seeing this?
Sean Sean Sean, next time just text me bro. I'll see if I can get out there for an hour, but I gotta work tonight in OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
I am keeping Bob’s comment for use at a later time when he laments about other stuff.

Goes around, comes around.....
lol glad you've got a since of humor there Walt.
You know I'm just messing with ya.

Bob
Oct 25, 2020, 06:55 PM
It's not going to build itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1dog
Im looking at a plane and it has these funny looking little tubes or cylinders .kinda looks like someone melted lead into them .what are you supposed to do with them. They look dangerous.
They're suppositories for your plane. They work best in windier conditions.
Oct 27, 2020, 02:17 PM

**AstroTurf Install – this Saturday, Oct 31st @ 8:30 AM

Hi Slopers,

Carlos, the tractor driver, is all well and good to go! I know the date is on Halloween, but this is a good excuse to wear a “mask!”

We’re meeting out there at 8:30 AM, so please bring some gloves and a wide push broom for the infill. We’ll need some help to move the rolls a few inches here and there to line them up perfectly, but the tractor will be the workhorse for the day. All of this turf is going to widen and lengthen the landing strip.

See you out there, and thanks for your help!

Mark
Oct 27, 2020, 05:08 PM
Let’s get this done.

Torrey Landings Oct 2020 (1 min 38 sec)

You can see some guys need a larger runway.
Oct 27, 2020, 06:22 PM
Old newb
I don’t think wider or longer will benefit too many........

Maybe a barn door will help.

A simple landing contest may benefit some, or hit the can, or just get it on the green.

Prizes for worst, most impressive, best crash or whatever subjective criteria just to loosen it up some.

No set rules other than practice landings.
Oct 28, 2020, 12:21 AM
I think Aaron got confused and thought that the green landing zone was the pit area, it is the same stuff!!! Or he was trying to take out the camera man!!! LOL
Oct 28, 2020, 12:39 AM
Just Toss It !!!
If we 'was' power flyers, we'd know that for a good spot landing you have to stand near the middle of the runway.....and to the side.
Oct 28, 2020, 02:22 PM
It's not going to build itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
I don’t think wider or longer will benefit too many........

Maybe a barn door will help.

A simple landing contest may benefit some, or hit the can, or just get it on the green.

Prizes for worst, most impressive, best crash or whatever subjective criteria just to loosen it up some.

No set rules other than practice landings.
Two barn doors may help, if the broad sides are flanking the runway. It could work!
Oct 28, 2020, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
Two barn doors may help, if the broad sides are flanking the runway. It could work!
Bahahaha

You guys are cracking me up!

Bob
Oct 28, 2020, 02:40 PM
I think Jim was an ex navy pilot. He did the best landing.
Oct 28, 2020, 04:22 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Obviously the "Power" stuff doesn't apply to us .....

And since we have room at Torrey for very long final approaches , we should (!!!) be able to line up with the excruciatingly narrow landing strip....

But some good advice in this video:

Michael Wargo: Tips, tricks and techniques on Landing. (12 min 6 sec)

BTW I now know why Ian lands so well .....Isn't that him in the front ?!
Oct 28, 2020, 05:43 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Bahahaha

You guys are cracking me up!

Bob
I am serious about a landing practice contest.

If you hit the beer can, you have to drink it.

Sadly, officially, you are out of the contest, unless nobody is looking.

On the right day, touch and goes, just like “Power” stuff.

Heron pilots may have an advantage here.......(if nobody notices.)

I think we all can be better at landings.
Oct 28, 2020, 08:04 PM
Except for Phil lol

(0 min 21 sec)
Oct 29, 2020, 12:31 AM
Okay, jokes aside, here's something a little more useful........

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good sailplane slope landing videos on youtube that have instruction. The ones that do, they're not doing landings like we do at the TPG, and/or their topography is different. But I found some videos that do have some useful information in them, little bits and pieces here and there throughout that can be applied to your landings at the TPG.

They are all from the same guy, and man has he made A LOT of videos, so instead of just posting the link to his YouTube channel, I will share the links to a couple of individual videos he made, then a link of a playlist of series of sloping videos he made. They all have some useful information in that can be applied to improving your landings at TGP.

Here is the first one, because if you can hand catch a glider, you should be able to put it on the runway.;
How to hand catch a plane (7 min 26 sec)

In this second one, he talks more in detail about using S turns to bleed off altitude prior to your final to touchdown.
Me I just do descending circles downwind of the runway if I'm too high until I feel I'm at the right height to turn on to final, but occasionally will do an S turn here and there I guess.
Landing a glider without spoilers or flaps (6 min 4 sec)

And here's a link to his series of slope soaring videos, there's like 6 of them, where in many of them he gives some tips on landings.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OHSMSLG2HBgPEC

Bob

Quick Reply