Aug 25, 2019, 10:32 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
I had some fun today at Torrey.

It was great to meet some new guys that I haven’t flown with before. And it was cool to see some old friends as well.
Especially Walt r39o!

Big surprise for me was running into Mike Lance. I think it has been over 15 years since have seen him. So that was nice.

I didn’t stay very long, because yeah, like what was said above, the wind wasn’t that good today. But good enough to get some relaxing flying in and have some fun.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Aug 27, 2019 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2019, 04:19 PM
Old newb
10+ mph at Torrey now!

Edit: Kicked up to a measured 12 mph.

Hucked out my new (to me) Sky King Shrike.

The Sky King Shrike is well behaved and flys (slows down) a lot like my Jester.

Sadly no witnesses (nor spotters) but the jellies were extra communicative today, thankfully.

It was a fun couple of hours.
Last edited by r39o; Aug 26, 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 06:07 AM
NICE Walt!

How many Shrikes do you have now?
Probably could flown the Rotor too.
From the pics, looks like you've already got a TTTGU on it.
I'm still in the process of restoring my Rotor.
If I'd stop going flying I could get more done lol.

Ward................what day are you thinking of picking for BUILD NIGHT next month?

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Aug 27, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 09:27 AM
Old newb
Flying Oscar Mayer (Shrike) was a bit out of my comfort zone.

I usually do not like doing things (like eating, flying, movies, etc) by myself.

But she was ready! A quick toss on the hill confirmed she would fly. I have been waiting to do it for about a week. I just had to! It was the first maiden I recall doing by myself since those awful days of crashing as a teenager....I am scarred......

I have 3 Shrikes. Oscar Mayer (61 inch, 28 oz,) Heinz 57 ( 54 inch, 32 oz - lots of carbon) and an unbuilt yellow Oran Shrike ( 54 inch, 25 oz pile of parts.)

Rotor 1 does indeed have the aluminum air brake and weighs a hefty 53 oz in that configuration. While Oscar Meyer was happy as a lark, I fear that Rotor would be a brick. I have two more wing sets to try with it, though. Rotor 2 is still being constructed. 2 may be a bit of a heffer also (until new modern fuselages are laid up.)

I am only flying because I made the decision to get out of the cave more often instead of always working on stuff......

Hard to win!
Aug 27, 2019, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Ward................what day are thinking of picking for BUILD NIGHT next month?
How about a build night next Wednesday September 4th?

I need an excuse to clean up the garage and to start milling some new Scirocco cores. The hot wire will be open for business, and I have a big work table plus a folding table to bring out if we need.

Ward
Aug 27, 2019, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Flying Oscar Mayer (Shrike) was a bit out of my comfort zone.

I usually do not like doing things (like eating, flying, movies, etc) by myself.

But she was ready! A quick toss on the hill confirmed she would fly. I have been waiting to do it for about a week. I just had to! It was the first maiden I recall doing by myself since those awful days of crashing as a teenager....I am scarred......

I have 3 Shrikes. Oscar Mayer (61 inch, 28 oz,) Heinz 57 ( 54 inch, 32 oz - lots of carbon) and an unbuilt yellow Oran Shrike ( 54 inch, 25 oz pile of parts.)

Rotor 1 does indeed have the aluminum air brake and weighs a hefty 53 oz in that configuration. While Oscar Meyer was happy as a lark, I fear that Rotor would be a brick. I have two more wing sets to try with it, though. Rotor 2 is still being constructed. 2 may be a bit of a heffer also (until new modern fuselages are laid up.)

I am only flying because I made the decision to get out of the cave more often instead of always working on stuff......

Hard to win!
Yeah it's okay, maidening still makes me a bit nervous too. But heck, it was 12mph straight in, ya HAD to, right?

Dang, 3 Shrikes..........NICE! The Oscar Mayer sounds like it is close in weight and w/s to the Jester ( and my Rotor ), and sounds like it flies similar. The Heinz 57 sounds like it would haul butt, and roll fast. Maybe with even a bit more wind, you'd feel comfortable hucking the Rotor off. A Rotor with 3 sets of wings is sweet! Hopefully they all work keeping the CG the same. Is that a Rotor you got from someone up in OC? If so, it might be the same Rotor I was trying to get Dave DWA to buy, but he didn't.

Your report kinda makes me want to renew my AMA and start flying Torrey again.
Wish I lived closer to Torrey than La Mesa, but I have to remember not to be a whiner, because I live a lot closer to Torrey than the OC guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
How about a build night next Wednesday September 4th?

I need an excuse to clean up the garage and to start milling some new Scirocco cores. The hot wire will be open for business, and I have a big work table plus a folding table to bring out if we need.

Ward
Ward,

BUILD NIGHT WEDNESDAY SEPT. 4th sounds good to me, but the others will need to chime in too I suppose.

Matin might be leaving for down under before then, but hopefully he can attend Oct.'s build night.
I will assume we would bring our own materials, and glue, etc.
Wondering if you have a scroll saw ( I have one ), or what other workshop stuff ya got, or if there is something someone could bring if needed. As an example, I could bring my scroll saw if needed.
Maybe some photos of the shop once the garage is cleaned up would help.
You have enough chairs, etc.?
If you can think of anything someone (some people) could bring, just throw it out there.

Also............would there be any objection from anyone to my wife coming and her repairing her Wind Drifter?
She's a cool easy going chic. She wanted me to ask, just to make sure she wouldn't make anyone feel uncomfortable, like 'invading' guy time or whatever, lol. If it would make anyone feel weird or whatever, just PM me to remain anonymous here. No hard feelings on my end. I wouldn't care either way.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Aug 27, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 03:52 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Yeah it's okay, maidening still makes me a bit nervous too. But heck, it was 12mph straight in, ya HAD to, right?
Yuuuup!

Quote:
0Dang, 3 Shrikes..........NICE! The Oscar Mayer sounds like it is close in weight and w/s to the Jester ( and my Rotor ), and sounds like it flies similar. The Heinz 57 sounds like it would haul butt, and roll fast.
The Jester is longer. Heinz is mis measured and is right about 60 inches. Oscar has wider wings, like the Jester. The Heinz is 3 ounces more so I may just try it on a good day. Oscar slows down nice like the Jester. I need to work on Heinz a little but she is close to ready.

Quote:
Maybe with even a bit more wind, you'd feel comfortable hucking the Rotor off. A Rotor with 3 sets of wings is sweet! Hopefully they all work keeping the CG the same.
I do not know but the long wing set seems light. CG on spar, like all twisties, but would have to double check as the long wings require a horizontal stab change (which I have.)

Quote:
Is that a Rotor you got from someone up in OC? If so, it might be the same Rotor I was trying to get Dave DMA to buy, but he didn't.
Yes, I got it from Tom D....

The below are mine. The Heinz, Oscar and Jester
Last edited by r39o; Aug 27, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 05:13 PM
Quote:
I do not know but the long wing set seems light. CG on spar, like all twisties, but would have to double check as the long wings require a horizontal stab change (which I have.)
I'm assuming you mean the long wings of the Rotor (w/ 3 sets of wings) requires a different elevator trim setting initiated through the wings (pitcheron).

My Rotor has two sets of wings, 54" & 59", and there is a required elevator trim change between the two wings as well.
On my phone, under "quick notes", I have a saved note for the sub trim setting for each wing set. I believe only one wing (the right one I think) requires a trim change.

Bob
Aug 27, 2019, 06:16 PM
Down for build night! I'd love to cut some wings and talk shop. Can bring beer or pizza or whatever. Let me know.

-Justin
Aug 27, 2019, 07:16 PM
Old newb
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean the long wings of the Rotor (w/ 3 sets of wings) requires a different elevator trim setting initiated through the wings (pitcheron).

My Rotor has two sets of wings, 54" & 59", and there is a required elevator trim change between the two wings as well.
On my phone, under "quick notes", I have a saved note for the sub trim setting for each wing set. I believe only one wing (the right one I think) requires a trim change.

Bob
I will have to review the build manual I have for the Rotor,

BUT there is a separate horizontal stab, which is bigger, for use with the longer wings I got with the Rotor.

I know nothing more about this topic currently.
Aug 27, 2019, 08:00 PM
It's not going to build itself
We welcome females at our build nights, it's just that none have ever showed up.
Aug 27, 2019, 09:01 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Also............would there be any objection from anyone to my wife coming.....If it would make anyone feel weird or whatever,...... I wouldn't care either way.
While we all likely do not “care either way,” I am sure she does.....
Aug 28, 2019, 12:40 PM
Old newb
Edit 11 AM. 13 mph. Me thinks it is on today!

Torrey reporting 10 mph now. It is just 1030. There is a breeze at my house which tends to be a good sign (I live a few miles East of TP)

Direction showing poor but so does the forecast for this time. It will change for the better.

Point is, it may be a good day.

A handful of us have planned to meet today starting around 2.

Come on down!
Last edited by r39o; Aug 28, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Aug 28, 2019, 07:47 PM
Windependent

Paging James

Hey all, the time of year is coming upon us again.
Hallo-WING-fest! This will be the 12th annual and I hope you can join us.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post42622839
Aug 28, 2019, 10:26 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Edit 11 AM. 13 mph. Me thinks it is on today!

Torrey reporting 10 mph now. It is just 1030. There is a breeze at my house which tends to be a good sign (I live a few miles East of TP)

Direction showing poor but so does the forecast for this time. It will change for the better.

Point is, it may be a good day.

A handful of us have planned to meet today starting around 2.

Come on down!
Had a nice crowd today.

Flew my Sky King Shrike, Oscar Mayer, over half an hour.

3 Jesters. Eric M finally maidened his Jester 2 with Mike F, da man, showing him the ropes.

Mike also flew my Jester 1. I think between everybody getting turns at the sticks it was flown an hour today.

Then Mike flew his Jester. Always a crowd pleaser.

Even though I did a few really stupid things with my Jester, including a hair ball down wind landing (not smart but I committed due to failing conditions at the end,) my Jester is fine. A testament to how stout they are.

Dominic and crew came with some ancient RE woodies and went at it old school. I lament my Windward not being ready......

It was a nice day......

Quick Reply