Aug 12, 2019, 02:57 PM
Old newb
Have cores. Will be bagged this week (I hope.) Hybrid glass and carbon layup based on materials laying around. Will be stout.

Roots are installed and drilled. Will embed magnets for wing retention.

I have the actual VS Rotor build instructions to go by!

thanks......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Walt............since you are going to be making wings soon, I thought I would share with you the measurements of mine.
Mine might not be a true Rotor, but it flies VERY well!
I think the original Rotor used a E374 airfoil, probably something 8%, and had a long wingspan than mine.
Mine uses a sd6062, and my tail is a little different, just cuz I like the look better than the original.

Currently I have two sets of wings, one balsa set, and one glass (with some carbon) set.

Note; keep in mind that my thickness measurement is a finished measurement, not of the foam cores, and that the balsa set of wings were sheeted with 1/16" balsa.

Glass wings;
Length at TE; 26"
Chord at root; 6.5"
Chord at tip; 4.5"
Thickness at wingrod; 13mm
Thickness at tip (35%); 9mm

Balsa wings;
Length at TE; 28.5"
Chord at root; 6.5"
Chord at tip; 4.5"
Thickness at wingrod; 15mm
Thickness at tip (35%); 10mm

I modified the shape of the balsa cores a little bit prior to sheeting and made the LE very blunt, and put a 1/8" x 1/4" basswood at the TE to be able to make the TE sharp.
These are my light lift set of wings, and I use a carbon wingrod with them, although I have used the steel jointer with them. Like the glass set of wings, they have a magnet at the end of the wingrod tubes for automatic wing retention. They are still roll fast, but not as fast or clean as the glass wings. They do however fly upside down excellent, almost hands off, and perform outside maneuvers easily.

Oran made the glass wings and currently I'm stripping the paint off, priming / filling, etc., to paint them like my balsa wings.
They are faster, and roll cleaner (like a drill) and faster than the balsa set, but don't perform outside maneuvers as easily.

Hope this helps you out.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 05:34 PM
Woohoo....... glued the hinge on straight.

Now I just got to put a little spoolge (5 min epoxy + microballoons) on the top magnet inside, and put the canopy on with the outside magnet at the rear of those two magnets, let that cure, then I'm going to put a little piece of G10 with a couple little magnets at the rear of the canopy to keep the back of the canopy down.

Bob
Aug 12, 2019, 06:17 PM
Old newb
What no servo - Open / Close?

All that just to manually open it?
Aug 13, 2019, 12:43 AM
Haha ........no it's not in yet, but it will be soon.
Aug 14, 2019, 12:54 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
My lovely wife reminded me of a commitment we've got on Saturday, so it looks like I can't make it this weekend. Probably better I don't terrorize the scale guys with my aerobats, anyways

But I will be coming to Torrey soon! Hopefully before the end of the month, and at least every few months after. That spot is too cool, and I've flown it way too little.

Steve
Aug 14, 2019, 03:07 AM
Just Toss It !!!
My lovely wife reminded me that I MUST go to Cajon this Saturday, so it looks like I can't make it this weekend either. I will be terrorizing the crows up in Cajon.

But I will be at Torrey next Saturday before I leave next month.
Aug 14, 2019, 10:52 AM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
My lovely wife reminded me of a commitment we've got on Saturday, so it looks like I can't make it this weekend. Probably better I don't terrorize the scale guys with my aerobats, anyways

But I will be coming to Torrey soon! Hopefully before the end of the month, and at least every few months after. That spot is too cool, and I've flown it way too little.

Steve
You have Elwood!

While I live 15 minutes from TP some how I still do not go as frequently as I “should.”

I am always mentally reset after going even if I damage something. This is a good thing.

My plate never really empties and I seem to be called away frequently so just getting prepared is oft times interrupted.

Excuses.....I am not whining....really....ha!

But do let us know when you are in town.
Aug 14, 2019, 04:24 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Ellwood is like a 1/6 scale version of Torrey

It’s good, especially for the ultralight foamies we developed specifically for flying there, but variety is the spice of life and there’s nothing quite like Torrey! It’s a great spot, even with all the “stuff” that has to be dealt with when you fly there.

Anyways, I will definitely post here the next time we (my son and I) will be headed down. Looking forward to it!
Last edited by surfimp; Aug 14, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 05:50 PM
Hey Steve you might get a kick out of sunset cliffs. Park and fly, miniature fermin style slope. Flew there recently and it's probably my new favorite spot.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:04 PM
Old newb
There's Dave's Beach also.

Everybody needs to fly Dave's (on a good day) once too.

Elwood has that outstanding landing zone too.

TP can also be a leap of faith kind of place. 350 feet to the beach. It has scared me a few times. (But the bowl can save you......sometimes....)

NOTE A few months ago we suffered a battery disconnect on a fresh Hobie Hawk restoration, while it turned out OK, it was an OMG moment because you are soo soo hight up..... At lesser heights there has been some saves, at Torrey, well....ah...gee......
Aug 14, 2019, 10:03 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
My sister used to live very close to Sunset Cliffs and I've checked the spot many times. There's a classic Moth video filmed there years ago called "Hittin' the Bowl." Never flown it, but maybe someday.

I've flown Dave's a few times, and it's fun. And wherever that zen bench place was in Carlsbad, back in the JGAF days

Mostly though, I'm interested in Torrey.
Aug 15, 2019, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTheWind
Hey Steve you might get a kick out of sunset cliffs. Park and fly, miniature fermin style slope. Flew there recently and it's probably my new favorite spot.
@Justin.......yeah I thought you'd like that spot.

When we were there Tuesday remaidening my Rotor the wind was only about 6mph.

Definately mini Fermin when it's on because of its' vertical component.

@Walt.........here you go, final pics of TTTGU with the servo in.

Bob
Aug 15, 2019, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
My sister used to live very close to Sunset Cliffs and I've checked the spot many times. There's a classic Moth video filmed there years ago called "Hittin' the Bowl." Never flown it, but maybe someday.

I've flown Dave's a few times, and it's fun. And wherever that zen bench place was in Carlsbad, back in the JGAF days

Mostly though, I'm interested in Torrey.
Couldn't find one on youtube by searching hittin' the bowl, but I found this one,

glide (5 min 0 sec)

which is at the same spot, although I park and fly from a 1/2 block south.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Aug 15, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Aug 21, 2019, 06:38 PM
Sanded the paint off the glass wings and am prepping them to paint them the same color scheme as the balsa sheeted covered wings.

Bob
Aug 25, 2019, 09:12 PM
Old newb

My Rotor and yet another Shrike

This is my Rotor. ( I guess I will begin to call it Rotor 1 because I have another not finished to call Rotor 2 for lack of better names). With those wings it has a 53 Oz AUW. (I want to call it Miss Piggy but I have other hefty gliders too...)

Also shown is Oscar Mayer my 61 inch Sky King Shrike. 28 Oz AUW.

I wanted to fly Oscar at Torrey today. Butt.,.,

What happened to our wind today??????

Quick Reply