Aug 08, 2019, 11:15 AM
Matin and Wait..........post which Wednesdays you will have free in Sept as soon as you know.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 11:26 AM
So far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Ward........Wednesday nights work for me.......... for a once a month build night get together.

Who else is interested ?

Real names please.

COMING
Ward................................Ward Hagman
Bob..................................fly2bob
Bruno...............................fcbflyer
Justin...............................Ridethewind

MAYBE
Walt....................................r390
Matin.................................Matin
???????............................cb4004
Aug 08, 2019, 12:12 PM
Old newb
Ya, let me get a better handle on things. Basically I am available until not. No way to run a ship. But that is life and I can do scant little about it in reality.

I have time until I find out (on short notice frequently) I do not.

So put me down as a definite maybe for any Wednesday.
Aug 08, 2019, 09:52 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Guys heads up, I got taken for 150 bucks yesterday. Don't make the same mistakes I did.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=31860
Latest blog entry: Pics
Aug 10, 2019, 07:50 PM
Old newb
Wind at the coast has been nice these last days.

Had a meeting and went to Dave’s today.

Measured 11 mph around 3PM

Flew Free Bird (Ahi) and The Rainbow Warrior (Passer.)

It was showing better yesterday at Torrey but I am too busy.

If lucky I will go again tomorrow, Sunday, if I get this other work done before then.
Aug 11, 2019, 12:49 AM
Do this on a weekend night and I'll combine my two hobbies...I also do KCBS and SCA competition BBQ (Team TBD BBQ) and am happy to do some ribeyes, tri-tip, ribs and/or pulled pork onsite (will take 5-6 hours before meeting time and a safe place to set up a 50 gal barrel smoker).

PS - Have talked about doing a Slope n BBQ event at Dave's or Torrey if we can get permission form the city(ies) for using a wood fired smoker onsite.

Barry
Aug 11, 2019, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Currently, I am refurbishing my Rotor.
A couple of months ago I was flying it Sunset Cliffs, and on one side the pivot rod for the cams came out of it's hole in the fuse, and the Rotor flipped over, had no control, and went into the water.
I installed the servos the lazy way, and used a balsa block between them, and balsa sheet between them and the fuse sides.
I think it was a little too wide. and it pushed the fuse open wide a tiny bit. ( I looked at this more carefully when I got home that day ).
So I broke loose the servo block, took it out, rinsed everything with regular water, wiped dry, and put it, the Rx, and battery in a bag of rice for a couple of days to dry out. They all work fine now.
To continue from post # 18810 from page 1254.................

Not as nice as Winchdoc's, but it'll do.

I like engineering stuff
Last edited by fly2bob; Sep 25, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Aug 11, 2019, 09:40 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Hi All, I have developed a strong hankering to fly Torrey again. It's been a few years since I was there last, and you San Diegans are due another Santa Barbarian invasion anyways.

I will be bring my new Excalibur and Quartz 2.5m French aerobatics gliders along, and my son Jose Luis will have his trusty Ahi.

Is anyone around next Saturday? Or should I just YOLO it down there this morning?

Steve
Aug 11, 2019, 11:07 AM
Old newb
Bob, When can I drop my Rotor fuselage off???
Aug 11, 2019, 11:10 AM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Hi All, I have developed a strong hankering to fly Torrey again. ..........
Is anyone around next Saturday? Or should I just YOLO it down there this morning?
Based on the below, August 24 is an event weekend meaning people are planning to be there.....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ries-at-Torrey
Aug 11, 2019, 01:34 PM
Steve..............there is always RCer's there on the weekends when the wind is decent, and even during the week if the wind is working.

According to the wind forecast....................

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/...es_glider_port

looks like next Sat. the 24th., the wind will be a bit (too) south, but that's a week away, so who knows, it might be better.

Walt................that's why I'm posting a tutorial w/ pics and descriptions, in case anyone else wants to do the same using this hinge..........

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hatch-type-hinge-5pcs.html

I have an extra one though if you want to do one for yours.
I might even have a little bit extra of that very thin G10 to glue onto it to increase it's surface area.
Note in the 2nd picture above that the thickness of the balsa for the wedge is the same height (or thickness) as the magnets stacked on one another.
Although you can go by the measurement of the front edge of the canopy to the back of the front magnet, it's best to do it before the fuse is painted, so you can see through the fuse, and draw around the perimeter of the mount surface of the front of the hinge for exact placement.

Bob
Aug 12, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrym
Do this on a weekend night and I'll combine my two hobbies...I also do KCBS and SCA competition BBQ (Team TBD BBQ) and am happy to do some ribeyes, tri-tip, ribs and/or pulled pork onsite (will take 5-6 hours before meeting time and a safe place to set up a 50 gal barrel smoker).

PS - Have talked about doing a Slope n BBQ event at Dave's or Torrey if we can get permission form the city(ies) for using a wood fired smoker onsite.

Barry
I only have Wednesday, and Thursday nights off.

But if build night was done on a weekend night once in a while, I might just have to call in sick that night because that looks awfully good! So once in a while, it would be worth it.

Bob
Aug 12, 2019, 02:26 PM
Walt............since you are going to be making wings for your Rotor soon, I thought I would share with you the measurements of mine.
Mine might not be a true Rotor, but it flies VERY well!
I think the original Rotor used a E374 airfoil, probably something like 8%, and had a longer wingspan than mine.
Mine uses a sd6062, and my tail is a little different, just cuz I liked the look better than the original.

Currently I have two sets of wings, one balsa set, and one glass (with some carbon) set.

Note; keep in mind that my thickness measurement is a finished measurement, not of the foam cores, and that the balsa set of wings were sheeted with 1/16" balsa.

Fuse width at the wings is about 1.5"

Glass wings;
Length at TE; 26" / each - a 53.5" wingspan
Chord at root; 6.5"
Chord at tip; 4.5"
Thickness at wingrod; 13mm
Thickness at tip (35% behind the LE); 9mm

Balsa wings;
Length at TE; 28.5" / each - a 58.5" wingspan
Chord at root; 6.5"
Chord at tip; 4.5"
Thickness at wingrod; 15mm
Thickness at tip (35% behind the LE); 10mm

I modified the shape of the balsa cores a little bit prior to sheeting and made the LE very blunt, and put a 1/8" x 1/4" basswood at the TE to be able to make the TE sharp.
These are my light lift set of wings, and I use a carbon wingrod with them, although I have used the steel jointer with them. Like the glass set of wings, they have a magnet at the end of the wingrod tubes for automatic wing retention. They still roll fast, but not as fast or clean as the glass wings. They do however fly upside down excellent, almost hands off, and perform outside maneuvers easily.

Oran made the glass wings and currently I'm stripping the paint off, priming / filling, etc., to paint them like my balsa wings.
They are faster, and roll cleaner (like a drill) and faster than the balsa set, but don't perform outside maneuvers as easily.

Hope this helps you out.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Aug 12, 2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply