Nov 09, 2018, 04:13 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna
I'm hoping this winter to be able to figure out soaring then I can be silent!

The forecast from WindyTy has changed a bit and now a couple extra knots and not so westerly.
I want to fly my RC PPG this weekend just not sure where it might work out.

Unlike you guys who soar the slopes with gliders and are looking for a strong wind, for the past decade I've been out early or staying for sunset when things are much calmer. Usually over 6kts and I' m calling it quits. I suppose with soaring I too might start looking forward to the windy conditions.

I also don't care for any screaming motor noise when it happens. If it is flat space like the SEFSD field and >6kts the motor will actually need to work a bit just to slowly move into the breeze, I don't like flying over the flats when the breeze is much above 4 or 5kts. At the beach near the bluff I can thottle back and soar a bit or lightly motor along and the sound of the surf mask a bit of any motor noise.

I hope the forecast and winds work out.
Jack Z.
I used to hang out more that Dave's when my shop was in Carlsbad.
But these days its kinda out-of-the-way for me and getting to Torrey is a bit easier.
Still, I try to make it to Dave's, when I get a chance, and kick it around with the usual suspects.
If you post here when you're planning to go to Dave's, I can try to stop by.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2018, 11:17 AM
Well it's Friday about 8am and looking at NOAA's current observation wind map, it looks like the convergence line between westerly wind and easterly wind, is a bit more east than what was predicted. Instead of it being around La Mesa / El Cajon, it looks to be just east of BV. So IDK, guess I'll have to keep a eye on it and see if there is some where to go fly around late morning.
Nov 09, 2018, 04:37 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna
Dave

For quality I think you have to look at Opale Paramodels , made in France opale-paramodels.com they have a USA distributor Espritmodel.com.
HackerUSA also and or maybe Cefics.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OpaleParamodels

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cker+paramotor

I haven't purchased a setup from either EspritModel or Hacker USA , but purchase direct from France and I got my Hacker from the AMA expo in LA.
I did purchase smaller parts to help a friend with repairs from EspritModel, It was a quick good experience.

Years ago I purchased a Flypg FLEX out of S. Korea it was well made but the lines were sorta cheap more like string and it had a oscillation issue.

Opale just released an new larger dual layer wing, looks great for soaring if you are a soaring pilot. I don't think the larger motored wings are good for beginners. The extra length in lines makes it hard to handle or launch while on the ground.

I'm always happy to talk or chat RC PPG. I too would like to find someone local who has experience with soaring.

The forecast for the weekend has changed a bit and now my idea of an easy cruise around PB might not work out. I might also just try right down the street at PB on the bluff when the winds are right. I have flown (with motor) at Dave's Beach that also might be an OK place for me to try some soaring technique.

Do you have any ideas for other learn to soar areas to consider.

Please feel free to DM me, I know this groups has a focus on gliders and wings.

Jack Z.

Here's some photos from my visit up to Dave's Beach. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fqKVGDnXgHoRUNv6A
Cool Jack, thank you!

I am a member of the Gulls but I am not local. I am in South OC
So I only fly Torrey a few times a year and Bill’s Hill a few times.

Dave
Nov 10, 2018, 03:27 AM
So FWIW, Windfinder says it's gonna be W @ 12mph tomorrow at 1pm @ BV.

https://www.windfinder.com/#9/33.046...8-11-10T21:00Z

3mph WSW @ 10am & W 5mph @ 4pm

I have something I gotta do Saturday at 1pm otherwise I'd prolly try to hit it, while trying to be more careful offroading up so I don't bottom out and spring a leak in my radiator like I did last Sunday

Sunday WNW around 10mph on the coast, Monday looks like today (Friday) was suppose to be, the best wind being ENE around 12mph about 10am @ BV.
Nov 11, 2018, 04:37 AM
Gonna go fly at Sunset Cliffs tomorrow.

If anyone else wants to join me, it's a 1/2 north of Hill Street.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/sunset_cliffs

Bob
Nov 12, 2018, 12:37 AM
Old newb
Forecast for Monday looks bad for the coast. But it looks like Iike it just may be one of those rare days for Black Mountain Park!
Nov 12, 2018, 03:16 AM
Me, Justin, and another friend of mine, Greg, are gonna go to the east BV spot tomorrow.
Nov 12, 2018, 10:42 AM
Old newb
Sadly due to family (wife in town and day off from school) playing that far away in BV is not a flight plan I can file.
Nov 12, 2018, 04:19 PM
Old newb

Black Mountain Park rocking Veteranís Day

1PM

Gusting to a measured 28mph!

A rare day at the BM Park.

Come on locals, it is a treat. Awesome LZ too.
Nov 12, 2018, 06:46 PM
Good time with bob and Greg but got skunked
Nov 13, 2018, 02:24 PM
Yeah the wind was kicking yesterday when we left Gregs' at Dictionary Hill in Spring Valley to go to the east BV site, but when we got there, there wasn't much, and after the short hike out to the slope there was nothing. Go back to the car, & there was a little wind again, but from an unexpected directions, SE. So back to Gregs', off road up the hill, and..............wait for it...............wait for it............nothing! Oh well, maybe we'll have better luck this afternoon. Gotta wait for the wife to get back with the car, then we'll see what it's blowing where.

At least we got to see Justins' new design, the Bart, fly for a few as he would launch it in the zero wind conditions, do some aerobatics, and catch it. It flies better than my Ahi. Can't wait to see it fly in some lift. Gonna have to get one! He sells them for a very reasonable price. Though just some foam and Hobbyking gear, his designs push the limits of how well a glider can fly.
Nov 13, 2018, 04:36 PM
Old newb
It is blowing over here near 15 and 56 again.....

Going up to the Black Mountain Park later.

If you look up

Little Black

on WindFinder, you will get an idea of the park as it is just across the street.
Nov 13, 2018, 05:27 PM
Is it DS'able?
Thread OP

Blast from the past

Hey guys, here's a real blast from the past. Remember when we used to get together for combat days at Poway? Jason "The Claw" used to organize them. Anyhow, somehow a reporter from the Union Tribune got a hold of me and wrote an (infamous in Mark Wood's eyes) article about us.
I was going through a box of old paperwork and came across a copy.

Enjoy!

-James
Nov 13, 2018, 06:31 PM
I am down in Del Mar for a few weeks and I only know of Dave’s beach. Anyone flying tomorrow at a site that works in the Santa Anna’s that are predicted? Also directions would be nice. Thanks
Nov 13, 2018, 08:24 PM
Old newb

Black Mountain Park location directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatonly
I am down in Del Mar for a few weeks and I only know of Daveís beach. Anyone flying tomorrow at a site that works in the Santa Annaís that are predicted? Also directions would be nice. Thanks
Black Mountain Park (about 8 miles East of Del Mar) was working again today.

You need a ship for the conditions. It started weak in the morning and is still blowing hard now at dusk. It gusted well again today like yesterday (see above picture of my anemometer.)

The Little Black Mountain glider site is across the street and will give a good idea of what to expect:

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/little_black

Black Mountain Park is (basically) at the corner of Black Mountain Road and Carmel Valley Road (careful as there are lots of Carmel this and that roads in the area.) The traffic light right to the North of this Tee intersection on Carmel Valley Road is the entrance to the park. You do not want the grass fields. Trek a quarter mile North from the parking lot up the dirt path. Your will find an 80 x 20 foot manicured dirt runway which is your LZ and walk over to the slope off the end of the runway. Use a satellite map program to get a better idea.

No promises and Wednesday is looking weaker, but the forecast seems NOT to be predicting the wind speed very well, but the direction is OK.

I hope to be there again on Wednesday. It looks like it will be lighter but the direction is good.

These are the rare days for Black Mountain Park.

Do not confuse the Park for the Open Space which is nearby also.

Have fun!
Last edited by r39o; Nov 13, 2018 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply