Nov 28, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Question

Giant Scale FMS Model

Looking for large scale/giant scale FMS models, or instruction on how to alter the apparent size of existing FMS models. Any help?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2007, 09:59 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
To scale a model in FMS, you need to use the Metasequoia LE 3D modeling software and have access to the .mqo file for the model.

In Meta:
1) unlock all the objects
2) click the [Sel All] button
3) click the [Scale] button
4) click the [Number] button on the Scale dialog box
5) Make all the center points zero (0.0).
6) Type in a scaling factor and click the [OK] button. Scaling factor of 1.00 is no change, 2.00 is 2x the size, etc.

Then you need to edit the .par file for the new model size.

-- ggunners
Nov 30, 2007, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Well, everything went well except for that whole "edit the .par file for the new model size. Which elements/lines need to be edited? Everything I tried ended up changing the controls of the plane, but not the size.
Dec 02, 2007, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Bump - Anybody know which parameters in the .par file to change the physical size of the model?
Dec 02, 2007, 07:17 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Yeah, pretty much all the parameters change. Wing surface sizes and positions change, left wing, right wing, stab, fin and fuse at a minimum, sometimes more wing surfaces. MOTOR items will change or you may be way under powered. Collision points will change. Wheel locations will change. You can try just hitting the scale to "Y" axis using Mr. Masuoka's .par edit and it'll adjust all the wing surfaces. Then you only have to tackle the MOTOR, COLLISION and WHEELs.

-- ggunners
Dec 03, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
That did what I was looking for. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make the motor more powerful for the increased model size.

Thanks for the answers.
Dec 03, 2007, 10:26 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
The fastest way for more power on an electric is to increase the number of batteries. Each battery is 1.2 volts. LiPoly and LiOn were not popular when FMS was created. Then increase the blocking current, highest amp number and increase the max rpms. Of course, you'll need to increase the prop size too.

I have not worked with the COMBUSTION engine parameters but I think all you do is increase the displacement and the prop size.

-- ggunners
Dec 12, 2007, 10:11 PM
I found some really nice looking giant scalers here, but am having trouble getting them to work?
http://www.actv.ne.jp/~ni-si-ya/HANGER8/index.html
Ok, I just got one to work, I was running 2.0 alpha 8.3, needed 8.5
8.5 installed and I'm still having trouble. Each time I want to innitiate the model I have to callibrate the transmitter and then turn it off, then innitiate the model, quikly turn on the rx, and catch the plane before it crashes at the end of the runway.
I.m using a plantraco rx.
I'm so bummed .These are by far the best most reallistic planes I've ever seen for FMS.
Ok got it figured, I had opera open while running FMS. Closed it, Now works great, these models are the best soooo reallistic, I'm going to leave this post as it is even though I added to it 4 times, hoppfully it will help someone.
Last edited by billsmithjr; Dec 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply