Kyosho Phantom *Reno Racer - RC Groups
Nov 28, 2007, 06:35 PM
Split S
Discussion

Kyosho Phantom *Reno Racer

Kyosho Phantom

With repeated victories in the biplane-class, Phantom has dominated all rivals at the famed Reno Air Races. As a biplane, the aggressive form of Phantom has been especially designed for peak air racing performance. The focus on speed and turning control has resulted in a scaled down model that delivers the full-size flying experience. From the start of the 2007 Reno Air Races, the original flying team proudly wears the Kyosho logo as a sign of Kyosho’s sponsorship and the close collaboration in model design. Naturally these graphics are included on the 70-class model as well. The FRP fuselage combines with balsa main and tail wings to realize an optimal lightweight structure. While the wing has a slightly larger leading edge radius than the original plane, it also produces low speed stability and stall characteristics that you wouldn’t expect from a racer. Almost completely pre-built, there aren’t many steps needed for the finishing touches so intermediate to advanced fliers will find themselves airborne in a relatively short period of time. While still regarded as a middle size, there is plenty of power and performance to experience the true excitement of air racing battles.

SKU: 11077B
Available - Dec 3, 2007

Features
• Main components are pre-assembled.
• Complete with basic color scheme.
• Balsa main and tail wings are pre-covered in film.
• Includes latest sponsor decals.
• Unique 12% symmetrical wing type produces both high speeds and stability from large angles of attack.

Included

• Engine mount
• Fuel Tank
• Main Gear
• Rudder connected tail gear
• Decals
• Tires
• Linkage Parts

Required for operation
• 4-channel, 5-servo (2 mini servos for ailerons) R/C system
• 4C52-70, 2C46-50 Engine
• D11 x P6 - D13 x P6 Propeller
• 62mm Spinner
• Fuel, engine starting tools
• Batteries specified for R/C system
• Glue

Technical Data
Length: 1,220mm
Width: 1,264mm
Weight: 2,500g (approx.)
Wing Area: 33.4dm2
Wing Load: 41.5g/dm2 (approx.)
Wing Type: 12% Original synmmetrical
Last edited by TimJohnson; Feb 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2008, 03:55 PM
U break it U pay for it
Hi Tim,

Was thinking about getting one of these have you seen one yet?
Jan 06, 2008, 07:36 PM
Split S
Well I am building one right now. It will be on display at the AMA Convention, and I will take it to Airzona Electric Festival, for a few fun flights.

I am installing an electric motor and LiPo battery. Assembly of this airplane has been smoth so far. Somethings that I like so far are that the Blind nuts are preinstalled for the lower and upper wing bolts. This airplane uses a pull pull system for the rudder, which has gone together smooth for me.

The Aleron servos need to be smaller than a standard servo. Servos that I have found that work best are:
• JR 341
• JR DS368
• Airtronics 94761Z

My local hobby shop was out of all three of these. The airplane dept employee showed me a Hitec wing servo. It is the HS-125mg. This servo did not fit perfect in the wing. I had to shave part of the wood servo mount, which glues to the servo access hatch. After the mod, the servo seems to be working perfect for this airplane.

More to come as I finish this airplane.

I was talking to a guy from Vision Hobbies, and he has a Kyosho Phantom 70 flying, and told me this airplane flys like the Kyosho Kelly F-1. The Kelly F-1 I would swear flys better than most trainer planes on the market. It is just on rails.
Feb 11, 2008, 11:18 AM
Split S
Well I got this thing set up nice now. I am using a Vision Hobbies Storm 55-580 motor, a 70 amp ESC, and a Vision Hobbies 3700 5cell LiPo. My first 4 Flights I have been using a Xoar 14x7 wood prop. I may toss on a 13x6 3 blade. Not sure yet.

I had a few "fun" flights at the Arizona Electric Festival, but now I have this thing dialed in nicely. I have it balanced 3 degrees nose down. I have not got a radar check on the Phantom yet.

Landings are uneventful, but you do want to bleed off speed on your approach. Be careful not to stall the airplane, it will tip stall.

Radio set up, I set the control surfaces to throw a lot less than what the manual said, but I also have a dual rate switch set up for both the elevator and the ailerons....

Currently I am working on a pilot for the Phantom. I am using a helmet from the Kyosho Leaning Rider Motorcycle kit. The rider part number is KYOGP56. I use the head/helmet, and the rest gets tossed.

Mar 16, 2008, 04:31 AM
Closed Account
Thanks for posting this thread. I have just ordered my Phantom and am glad to see it is a typical Kyosho easy to fly plane. I also have a Kelly and a Gee Bee Z, both Kyosho, so am looking forward to adding to my collection.
We have started up a scale pylon class over here with just these planes in mind. The rules will hopefully be that you can use an ASP 80 FS with any scale airframe behind it. We also have various World Models and Hanger Nine kits that fit this class so the variety of scale subjects is fairly large.
I had the Kelly out yesterday and clocked it at 203kph on the radar gun. A World models Nemesis was clocked at 199kph with the same motor. This looks good for some close racing.
How have you found the taxiing and roll rate on the Phantom? The Kelly is a little "tippy' on the ground requiring a lot of up elevator until it gets moving.
Mar 16, 2008, 07:37 AM
Split S
I am glad to hear that! It would see there are clubs all over the world that are starting these scale Pylon races.

Taxiing is very stable. I was very shocked how little correction the Phantom needed during take off as well. I really loved the fact that the Phantom will not leave the runway until you pull up on the stick. This makes for some really cool looking scale takes offs. When it came to setting up the travel on the control surfaces, I followed the instructions, and found on my first flight that was a big mistake. I set everything up with a lot less travel than what the instructions ask.

Landings need to be hot, or you WILL tip stall. What I did for my landings is basically as I kept getting closer and closer to the runway I would slowly back out of the power, and allow the airplane to descend, not forcing the airplane to the ground. This made for smooth landings, as long as you kept the airspeed up. One I am about 2 feet above the ground I cut all power, and the airplane will do the rest. Once the wheels are on the ground, again, very little control needed to keep the Phantom straight, unless you land on grass or a bumpy runway.
Mar 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Closed Account
Thanks for the info. We fly off a 200m grass strip with a hedge at each end so landings will be fun. Im not too worried as the Gee Bee is even worse! That will spin at a moments notice and is so short coupled with long landing gear that every landing is an adventure. It has lasted about 60 flights over 3 years so far and I think is the oldest (and only flying) one in New Zealand.
I do love these scale racers. Most of them are very nice to fly and surprisingly aerobatic! For me the more unusual the aircraft the more I like it.
Has anyone managed to find pictures of the original Phantom or Kelly? For such cool planes there seems to be a real lack of information on the full size ones....
Mar 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
Closed Account
Look what I just found......
http://www4.tfb.com/aberlecustomaircraft/Phantom.htm

Enjoy
Mar 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
Split S
Nice find. I only live about 10 miles away from the Phantom's hangar. I have a picture some where of the full scale and the model somewhere.......
Feb 28, 2009, 03:55 PM
you must go fast to land with the phantom ,can you land on grass with it or not ? the wheels seems to be little for it.
Feb 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
Split S
Most that fly on grass will not install the wheel pants.
Jul 05, 2009, 07:46 PM
Closed Account
Lands on grass fine. Landing speed is quick but not what I would call fast. Would look crap without spats and there is really no reason not to leave them on. Has reasonable sized wheels - about the same size as most trainers.
Oct 07, 2009, 10:31 PM
Watts up ?
Just back from Reno Air races where i saw the Phantom race and whist there were working on her...VERY nice !
Oct 07, 2009, 10:32 PM
Split S
Yep, it won its class too!
Oct 07, 2009, 10:37 PM
Watts up ?
Lol...I dont even think it was a class ! More follow me boys with your 50 year old Pitts ! they never stood a chance ! Just ordering one now....