Thread Tools
Dec 05, 2007, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Great job, is the pilot that far back to get the Cog correct, suprised he can see where he's going.

Del
Yes, it's scalish in that respect. The Cub J-3 and the L-4 are both flown solo from the back seat.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2007, 03:44 PM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Great job, is the pilot that far back to get the Cog correct, suprised he can see where he's going.

Del
Pilot position is a lttle exaggerated, but in real life. All J-3 cubs were flown solo from the rear seat to offset motor weight. The passenger flew in the front seat. Bob
Dec 05, 2007, 03:47 PM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin estes
wow,it sure looks nice.Is there a particular reason u went with rediboard on the wings?I betcha it is killin ya to have to wait to fly it.I want to hear how it flies too. Kevin
I use a lot of readiboard since the Blu-core isn't available in my area. I also like the pricing. Less than 2.00 worth of materials in the project (not counting hardware of course) Bob
Dec 05, 2007, 04:15 PM
Crash Master
Gene Bond's Avatar
Thread OP
Looks great!
Dec 05, 2007, 04:48 PM
Registered User
Del-Dredd's Avatar
Single pilot flies from back, you learn something every day.

Del
Dec 05, 2007, 05:31 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
dekan's Avatar
The original back seat driver...
Dec 05, 2007, 10:06 PM
You deserve my opinion
FirstShirt's Avatar

Not again!


Every time I build a plane before Foamenator Bob he always comes along and creates something that looks soooo much better! Every time!

Hey, Bob, the Grasshopper looks GREAT! Love your stuff. Now I have another decorating job I have to copy! Way to go!

(I'm still waiting to maiden mine too.)
Dec 05, 2007, 11:28 PM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Every time I build a plane before Foamenator Bob he always comes along and creates something that looks soooo much better! Every time!

Hey, Bob, the Grasshopper looks GREAT! Love your stuff. Now I have another decorating job I have to copy! Way to go!

(I'm still waiting to maiden mine too.)
Pat.. You are way too modest. Your EPPiper is a beautiful and more creative scheme than mine.

Took SBD out for some tests on the street this evening (under the cover of darkness ) Looks like the .080 CF isn't stiff enough to hold the wheels in alignment which caused me to lose tread on the right wheel and ground loop. Put some larger wheels on and will try again tomorrow when I can actually see what is happening. At anyrate, It's too windy to fly and we are supposed to get a few inches of snow tomorrow so I think I'll make some EPPiper skis for it just for fun. Bob
Dec 06, 2007, 10:33 PM

why are my plans coming up wrong?


I had the plans printed out and they were smalll,i am guessing 90 percent or so?How do i change the way it prints to make it correct?This happened another time on another computer and printer and i didnt get it figured out that time either.Thanks,Kevin
Last edited by kevin estes; Dec 07, 2007 at 01:57 AM.
Dec 06, 2007, 11:27 PM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin estes
I had the plans printed out and they were smalll,i am guessing 90 percent or so?How do i change the way it prints to make it correct?thanks,kevin this happened another time on another computer and printer and i didnt get it figured out that time either
Kevin... Check your printer properties under the print menu using "File" then "Print". Make sure print scaling is set to "none". It sounds like you are printing "to fit page". Hope this helps... Bob
Dec 07, 2007, 01:24 AM
Flying Models for 57 years!
Sixter's Avatar
Foamenator: Thanks for answering the pm, that's me doing a preflight run up in a L4 You do have your pilot in the right seat, solo flight from the rear seat only!

Bobby
Last edited by Sixter; Dec 07, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
Dec 07, 2007, 10:02 AM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Foamenator: Thanks for answering the pm, that's me doing a preflight run up in a L4 You do have your pilot in the right seat, solo flight from the rear seat only!

Bobby
Sixter...Yep, he's way back there. Cool pic too. I'm going to save it in my scale file on the L-4. Good luck on your build. It's a lot of fun and very easy. Bob
Dec 07, 2007, 11:19 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Foamenator: Thanks for answering the pm, that's me doing a preflight run up in a L4 You do have your pilot in the right seat, solo flight from the rear seat only!

Bobby
Umm! There is no right seat. ;-) The correct seat for solo flight is indeed the rear seat.

Seriously, thanks for the pic, Bobby.

It reminds me of my first flights in a Cub, in October 1980, at Aerosport in St. Augustine, FL. One of the Cub J-3 owners there offered me the use of his Cub with instructions, "Just gas it up when you're finished." The unwritten rule, back in those days was "If you break it, you fix it!" I felt obliged to get a familiarization ride before accepting the generosity of the Cub J-3 owner. That ride was in an L4 that belonged to another Cub owner on the airport. A few years later, when I was instructing at DeMille Aviation in Cleveland, I was the only instructor on staff for a while with Cub J-3 experience. The pleasant duty of doing all the Cub checkouts fell on me, a duty I was most pleased to perform.

BTW, are you based at the airport in LaGrange? I used to be a member of the SES glider club, before they moved to LaGrange. If you're based there, I look forward to seeing you and your L4 there in the near future.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Auburn, AL
Dec 07, 2007, 12:01 PM
Flying Models for 57 years!
Sixter's Avatar
Thanks everyone for the nice comments about the L4, I figured everyone would enjoy seeing it. The L4 belonged to my best friend Wayne, the picture was taken in March of 2000. It was one of the highlites in my life to get to fly the L4! Wayne also owned a PT17 Stearman, now that was a blast!! Wayne passed away about 3 years ago, his estate was sold and the fun and great friendship is gone. I quit flying about 2 years ago, just got burned out on it. Now I am back doing what I have been doing most of my life, enjoying building and flying RC Models.
Bill: The Glider Club still fly's just about every weekend. I live just off the end of 31 and I see just about everything that departs from LaGrange.
Bob: Thanks, I started cutting out templates last night

Bobby
Dec 07, 2007, 01:05 PM
AMA 8614
Foamenator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Thanks everyone for the nice comments about the L4, I figured everyone would enjoy seeing it. The L4 belonged to my best friend Wayne, the picture was taken in March of 2000. It was one of the highlites in my life to get to fly the L4! Wayne also owned a PT17 Stearman, now that was a blast!! Wayne passed away about 3 years ago, his estate was sold and the fun and great friendship is gone. I quit flying about 2 years ago, just got burned out on it. Now I am back doing what I have been doing most of my life, enjoying building and flying RC Models.
Bill: The Glider Club still fly's just about every weekend. I live just off the end of 31 and I see just about everything that departs from LaGrange.
Bob: Thanks, I started cutting out templates last night

Bobby
Bobby welcome to the build. Not to turn the thread into "chit chat", but I used to live in Columbus, GA where I bought a PA-12 Super Cruiser and kept it at Pine Mountain Airport up by Callaway Gardens. I did all my solo flying in it up to the point I needed instrument training which I took in Columbus in Cessna 150. I got my private SEL ticket in Auburn. Oddly, the day I got the ticket was one of the most satisfying experiences I ever had flying. I flew my PA12 over to Auburn-Opelika and the wind was a howling crosswind. I landed, and went into the FBO there was a sign on the counter said "Flying School was closed due to high winds". Man was I pumped and proud. The examiner gave me my check-ride in a Cherokee 140 by putting me under the hood as soon as we left the pattern and keeping me there. The ride was short and I got my ticket. Examiner said he was n't worried about my flying because of the way I arrived and the plane I flew. It was a great moment for me. Bob


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools