This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 28, 2007, 02:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

PCB terrorism

Realizing that handling the high frequencies of GPS is probably going to require printed circuit boards, decided to finally try the old ironed laser printout trick.

Well, after carefully scrubbing the copper clean, pressing the iron down, soaking the paper, and wiping off fibers until most of the traces were broken, decided this trick must have come from the same internet that produced the brilliant GPS antenna tricks.

Suppose if U bought exactly the right batch of glossy cotton bond paper from Staples during the right phase of the moon, use the right HP Laserjet toner stock and model printer from year 2 of dot com boom #1, and lose your hair pulling out each fiber under a microscope, it might work, but it looks like expresspcb owns us.

Now we're going to get a million spams for PC boards made to order from northern China in 4 weeks for twice the price of rent, but we asked for it.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2007, 07:20 AM
I watched this several times and then I found it funny
Dec 02, 2007, 04:35 PM
supreme being of leisure
you don't need to scrub the fibers off the toner after soaking in water.

and your board looks like it was cleaned with a grinding wheel...best way is to sand it with 1200 grit paper till it shines and you can sort of see your reflection in it. if you can see any big, deep scratches like in your photo it ain't gonna work. after polishing wipe it down with acetone. do this in one direction only so as not to smear the crud around but to take it off.

another trick is to preheat the board before ironing down the toner. i do this by setting the iron on an inch thick granite slab for a few minutes. i then let the board sit on that for about a minute and only then lay down the printout and iron it down. before figuring this out i also never got a good transfer but now i get 99% success no matter what paper i use.

dave
Last edited by ZAGNUT; Dec 02, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply