Nov 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Engel Gato anyone building it?

Hi Guys,
Been a long long time since I posted on this site - so Hi to everyone.

I just took the plunge and am waiting delivery on my Engel Gato - should be about 10 days (Ordered from Westbourne Models, Bournemouth UK). I've also ordered new radio gear, the retractable dive planes unit, twin speed controllers, the static dive module, and the depth and pitch control unit.

I've admired this model for years but could never afford it - now that I can afford it, I thought to hell with it - im gonna have it !!

Was wondering if anyone out there has built or is building this model ?

Cheers guys,
Nige in england
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
jim
Have you ever built a sub? If so which ones? You will love this sub it is a beast.

I have one and have been working on the electronics and the dive planes for the last year. I hope you have a good strong back this is one heavy monster when wet. If I can help just let me know.

Jim
Nov 27, 2007, 09:58 PM
jim
Oh yea follow the directions to the exact detail.

Jim
Nov 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thread OP

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim - thanks for that reply - your sub looks like a beauty.

I've built a few subs in the past - most recently and this was two years ago, I did the Robbe U-47, and was not impressed with it at all. I found it an absolute swine to get to fit. Don't know if it was just my kit that was badly warped or what, but it caused me untold problems and I ended up selling it before I even had it on the water - thats how disgusted I became with it.

I was wondering if there's anything to watch out for with the Engle Gato ?
Cheers,
Nige
Nov 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
jim
Nige , Use the best seals you can buy for the control rods where they come through the bulk heads. Plan your positions for EVERYTHING you put in the hull(elec. pumps ,etc) Read and follow the directions down to the smallest thing no matter what . Be careful with the diveplane wiring it is alot of fun. LOL
Oh yea start working out and lifting weights .This sub is a heavy monster dry when she has water in the hull she is almost to much for one person to handle without going in the water after her. She will be about two and a half times the weight of the u47 when trimmed out correctly ,at this weight she will dive level and surface level. If you go any less she will try to list or dive wrong.I bought mine with the hull already built and painted but she needed wiring and trimming out . I had problems with her blowing ballast tank fuses and always with full tanks and sitting on the bottom of the pool . I found that problem and I am changing the speed controllers in her now .I do not like the controllers in her they only run one speed FULL THROTTLE but they are water proof (RIGHT) Oh yea I hope you own a truck this is a very large sub not going to fit in the car. LOL

I sound like I dont like the sub but I wouldnt take anything for her.

Go with the HR deck guns they are great.

JIm
Nov 28, 2007, 05:11 PM
jim
Posted picture twice sorry here is the one I meant to post.
Nov 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
god she is a nice lookin model!! it is what about 7ft??
Nov 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
jim
She is almost seven ,in the pictures she wasnt trimmed right yet . She sits lower than that in the stern .

Jim
Nov 30, 2007, 11:07 AM
Wasserbomb
Looks great Jim......Rick
Dec 01, 2007, 12:23 PM
jim
Thanks Rick ,how the heck have you been ? Havent heard from you in awhile. Built anything lately ? I was working on a couple of seaviews when I ran into a job problem seams I kiss placed my job LOL and been looking around for another.I have been wanting to move to Florida or Carmel Ind.

These are some awsome hulls form Rick Teskey.
I cant wait to see Nige start on his Gato, I still have two SSY Gato hulls sitting here waiting to be built and two revell Gatos waiting also. I may not go back to work and just start building turnkeys LOL. Keep in touch Rick and Nige post some pictures when you get the kit of the kit. It would be nice for everyone to see how much work really goes into this kit ,there is alot more work envolved in this kit than most.

Jim
Dec 03, 2007, 04:21 AM
Thread OP

Gato

"Oh yea start working out and lifting weights .This sub is a heavy monster dry when she has water in the hull she is almost to much for one person to handle without going in the water after her."

LOL - I know what you mean. The funny thing is I just started an exercise class to help me get fit and loose a few pounds !!

But seriously guys thanks very much for the words of wisdom so far. I'll take the points mentioned on board.

When she arrives I'll take some pics and start a building thread here. From what Barry (Lovely guy!) at Westbourne Models said, re delivery times from Germany, barring any problems I should have her by the end of this week.

Cheers guys,
Nige

PS - Jim - re the HR guns you mention - do you have details for these? I've not heard of them before.
Cheers,
Nige
Last edited by English Nige; Dec 04, 2007 at 06:40 AM.
Dec 03, 2007, 11:43 AM
Very interested in the kit also. I am currently building their Patrick Henry kit. I just finished Robbe's U-47 but no water trials yet. The Patrick I thought would be a nice Engel to start with. Nice hull but still lots of work. Will post some pics.
Stringfly <>++++
Dec 04, 2007, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
PS - Jim - re the HR guns you mention - do you have details for these? I've not heard of them before.
Cheers,
Nige

Also something else I forgot to ask you Jim - do you have any close up shots of your Gato - and/or shots showing the insides?

Cheers,
Nige
Dec 04, 2007, 06:42 AM
Thread OP
Very interested in the kit also. I am currently building their Patrick Henry kit. I just finished Robbe's U-47 but no water trials yet. The Patrick I thought would be a nice Engel to start with. Nice hull but still lots of work. Will post some pics.
Stringfly <>++++

Hi Stringfly,

Would like to see how you get on with that. Any thoughts on if/when you might go for the gato ?

Cheers,
Nige
Dec 04, 2007, 09:50 AM
Not sure when on Engel's Gato. I have the Revell Gato and WTC, will do that one probably first, a little easier to handle for sure. Also have Caswells/Moebius Seaview and subdriver ordered and hopefull on the way soon. Too many subs...never enough time......LOL.
Stringfly <>++++

Quick Reply