Note the definition of Km
Km = Motor constant = Kt / sqr(Rm)
Kt (torque/A) is the reciprocal of Kv
Units can introduce some coeff
Km is a sort of "current capability"
Some are considering Kt^2 / Rm
Louis
Hi Louis

Yes, it's a pity that Km is not mentioned and used more often in these threads. I made a point of including Km in my efficiency calculator.

I know your Scorpion Calc also computes Km, although it only displays "Motor Index" which is Km / weight.

Therefore, I assume to get Km, one has to multiply motor index by weight. However, I don't seem to get a valid Km value if I do that.

Christo
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2016, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammied
Interesting the dt700 bell dropped the Kv by 10Kv and the lo by .2 amps
Maybe the magnets are slightly stronger.
May 18, 2016, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar
Hi Louis

Yes, it's a pity that Km is not mentioned and used more often in these threads. I made a point of including Km in my efficiency calculator.

I know your Scorpion Calc also computes Km, although it only displays "Motor Index" which is Km / weight.

Therefore, I assume to get Km, one has to multiply motor index by weight. However, I don't seem to get a valid Km value if I do that.

Christo
Hi Christo
Yes I have a coefficient for the "power/weight" motor index
Motor index = 91189000 / Rm / weight / (Kv^2)
Rm (ohm) , weight(g), Kv (rpm/V)
Louis
Last edited by Fourdan; May 18, 2016 at 03:58 PM.
May 18, 2016, 04:18 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what all of the %'s on the calculators determine?

I see a Eta %, A %of Eta and system efficiency percent.

I have noticed that in the calculators that the omega is always dissipating more watts or has more motor loss wattage
May 18, 2016, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan
Hi Christo
Yes I have a coefficient for the "power/weight" motor index
Motor index = 91189000 / Rm / weight / (Kv^2)
Rm (ohm) , weight(g), Kv (rpm/V)
Louis
Thanks Louis. That explains it. And I'm not even going to ask where the 91189000 comes from.

Christo
May 18, 2016, 04:53 PM
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what all of the %'s on the calculators determine?

I see a Eta %, A %of Eta and system efficiency percent.

I have noticed that in the calculators that the omega is always dissipating more watts or has more motor loss wattage
Hi Jammied

Ok, I'll be as brief as I can.

In electronics and electrical engineering, efficiency is typically denoted by the Greek lowercase letter Eta (η). And since efficiency is expressed as a percentage, every motor will have an EtaMax, or maximum efficiency, since no motor is 100% efficient.

EtaMax usually occurs when iron loss equals copper loss. Amps at EtaMax should be self-explanatory. If you exceed this current level, you are trading (some) efficiency for hopefully more power at the prop.

System efficiency also takes into account the losses in the ESC and battery.

Christo
May 18, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thank's Skylar,

Makes more sense now.

Still uncertain of what % Is good or a good trade off?
May 18, 2016, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Thank's Skylar,

Makes more sense now.

Still uncertain of what % Is good or a good trade off?
Jammied

Well, that's the million dollar question. When deciding on a power system for my models or for friends (that happens a lot) I like simulating the motors on Louis' virtual dyno, Scorpion Calc.

I usually go a few props larger than what coincides with EtaMax, until I find one that "looks right". But I'm usually guided more by motor temperature, than efficiency. So, I always look at the simulated temperature after say 2 or 3 minutes motor run time. That's usually where the temperature stabilizes with constant WOT.

If the temperature is too high, I ease back and choose an "easier" prop. That can be as low as 92% of EtaMax, but that's just how I like flying. I'm a speed freak.

Christo
May 18, 2016, 05:57 PM
Nice post Ron.

Christo
May 19, 2016, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar
Thanks Louis. That explains it. And I'm not even going to ask where the 91189000 comes from.

Christo
Hi Christo
91189000 is my Visa Premier secret code !!
Louis
May 19, 2016, 03:45 AM
Hi Christo
In fact, my coeff is related to
[Kv Kt = 9549.2965 (rpm/V mNm/A)] ^ 2
Louis
May 19, 2016, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan
Hi Christo
91189000 is my Visa Premier secret code !!
Louis
Hi Louis

That's why I was afraid to ask.

Thanks for explaining.

Christo
May 19, 2016, 07:53 AM
I will havto look into the Km measurements and calculations. And revisit the LRK wind with 19awg. Think I have the pattern down now! And manuel v stated during the earlier days of this thread that he thought the LRK wind with 19awg might be a good wind if the bell clearance doesn't become a issue.
May 20, 2016, 08:04 AM
---- --
If your not real careful, I mean REAL careful, first thing you know you'll be a big time knitter.

Quick Reply