Self-contained off-the-shelf foam cutter - RC Groups
Nov 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
On patrol.
New Product

Self-contained off-the-shelf foam cutter

I saw this at Hobby Lobby this weekend. It would work fine for 90% of the cutting I do on my parkflyer foamies. The vertical wire cutters I have now are large and stay out in the shop where it is cold. This one would work on the kitchen table and is compact for storage. It also has both a battery supply and an AC supply built in. With a little care for small to medium projects and light weight templates it should work fine.

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item....cat=1&Search=Y

I print templates on 8.5x11 card stock with a laser printer and cut them out easily with a pair of scissors. For larger pieces I just tape them together like when you tile plans. I then Scotch tape the templates to the foam around the edges of the template and cut with a hot wire. The wire slices through the foam and tape smoothly and follows the card stock easily and produces a smooth, square edge on the foam. I save these templates and can cut many planes without wearing one out.

This is a very easy way to quickly and accurately reproduce in foam anything you can draw.

Tiny VIDEO showing template cutting de-papered foam board and freehand cutting FFF with skins on.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Dec 03, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
On patrol.
BTW, from the link above, it's $29.99 delivered.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Dec 03, 2007 at 01:56 AM.
Nov 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves
BTW, from the link above, it's $29.99 delivered.
IIRC, it's $39.99 at the store, but with the 40% off coupon, it's a better deal to buy it from the store.
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
P.S. For a really, really good deal, you might try taking a copy of the online ad to the store, to see if they'll give you the online price, less the 40%.
Nov 25, 2007, 11:12 AM
we spozed ta be tite!
Very niiiiiice!!!!!!!!! I will have to go pick one of these up.

fr0g
Nov 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
Pretyy decent price considering what it costs to make one if you had none of the materials or power source.

I build my own a few months ago, cost me about the same more or less.

That one at least is UL approved and folds down for easy storage.
Nov 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
Frequent Crasher Club
Thanks, just ordered one. I have been looking for one like this. I buillt a big bow type one, but for small stuff or cutting out mono blocs this will come in handy.

Tod
Nov 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
Aim to Misbehave
I dunno I just hooked up my Car charger to a piece of .036 music wire with a switch,This thing works Great.10 amps at 12 volts,36" wire length and the the switch just in case,no dimmer switch or anything,I just got lucky I guess,
Bob..BTW I JUST did this after reading this post about an hour ago,WOOHOO!!
Bob
Last edited by Bobnormal; Nov 25, 2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: adding comments
Nov 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
On patrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
IIRC, it's $39.99 at the store, but with the 40% off coupon, it's a better deal to buy it from the store.
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
P.S. For a really, really good deal, you might try taking a copy of the online ad to the store, to see if they'll give you the online price, less the 40%.
I didn't know about the coupon. I ordered one online. Even with tax you're still a few dollars better off at the store with the coupon. Oh well. We'll see how rugged it turns out to be. If it holds up it should be nice.
Nov 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
On patrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnormal
I dunno I just hooked up my Car charger to a piece of .036 music wire with a switch,This thing works Great.10 amps at 12 volts,36" wire length and the the switch just in case,no dimmer switch or anything,I just got lucky I guess,
Bob..BTW I JUST did this after reading this post about an hour ago,WOOHOO!!
Bob
I agree that they can be made easily. I have two stationary vertical wires and a bow that are powered by car chargers and dimmer switches for heat control. But this one just looked like a nice package.
Nov 25, 2007, 03:49 PM
AMA 42867
Looks good. Do they sell replacement cutting wires?
Nov 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
Aim to Misbehave
oh yeah for the none DIYers or those with money,it's a great deal,I have always wanted to try it and you gave me the inspiration to try Thanks!
Bob(P.S. I'm not cheap,just broke)
Nov 25, 2007, 06:09 PM
On patrol.
I will let you know when I get mine how well it works and if replacement wires are available.
Nov 30, 2007, 02:24 AM
On patrol.
The hot wire arrived today. The build quality was actually better than I expected. With reasonable care it should last a long time. The body is made of a tough blue plastic and the wire support arm is stamped metal. The knob on the side rocks the arm out as it is tightened to tension the wire. The wire appears to be fine gauge nichrome. One was mounted and three extras were included. The wires have brass grommets mounted at each end that slip over the end of the support arm and a round pin in the base. It is a simple matter to loosen the tension knob or press down slightly on the arm and slip the wire off and on. I cut some inside cuts and it was quick to slip the top loop off, pass it through the workpiece and reattach it. You need a 1/4" hole or slot to slip the grommet through for an inside cut so it won't work for really small inside features. I don't think this will be an issue. If it ever is, you can always cut that one feature with a knife.

The cutter came with batteries but I only tried it with A/C. The wire heated up immediately and allowed a reasonable feed rate and produced smooth cuts. The wire is much finer than I am used to so it cuts with less heat and the kerf is tiny. I didn't see any signs of over heating the wire even when I forgot and left it on for several minutes unused.

Here are some pictures.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Nov 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Nov 30, 2007, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves
The hot wire arrived today. The build quality was actually better than I expected. With reasonable care it should last a long time. The body is made of a tough blue plastic and the wire support arm is stamped metal. The knob on the side rocks the arm out as it is tightened to tension the wire. The wire appears to be fine gauge nichrome. One was mounted and three extras were included. The wires have brass grommets mounted at each end that slip over the end of the support arm and a round pin in the base. It is a simple matter to loosen the tension knob or press down slightly on the arm and slip the wire off on and off. I cut some inside cuts and it was quick to slip the top loop off, pass it through the workpiece and reattach it. You need a 1/4" hole or slot to slip the grommet through for an inside cut so it won't work for really small inside features. I don't think this will be an issue. If it ever is, you can always cut that one feature with a knife.

The cutter came with batteries but I only tried it with A/C. The wire heated up immediately and allowed a reasonable feed rate and produced smooth cuts. The wire is much finer than I am used to so it cuts with less heat and the kerf is tiny. I didn't see any signs of over heating the wire even when I forgot and left it on for several minutes unused.

Here are some pictures.
wow, that is neat, I made one up, had to hand tension the wire , didn't cut that good either , that looks like a winner, can't wait to see how it goes together
Nov 30, 2007, 07:01 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
what coupon?