Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 24, 2007, 02:28 PM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Discussion

Rvision-D goggles failed

My Rvision-D high resolution goggles purchased at range-video 7 monthīs ago have dead ... ; suddenly the screen became white and no more image at all .I checked the contacts , the battery but nothing , they are totally dead ,so be aware of those goggles quality ...
I need a new ones so , what about Headply goggles? http://www.headplay.com/Products
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
Live FPV or Die
All these goggles I-Vision922 ,545 and R-vision suffer the same problem, the electronic in it is not reliable. But the video module is good, it made by Kopin. I received Headplay goggle last week for a friend, they are good, but the lens of Kopin module are better, they are more confortable to watch so I would recommend you to try to kept it and kept your money.
You Kopin module is probably good. If the picture is white, it's probably the video input wire that had broke somewhere. It's possible to use the goggle without controller by pluging a battery and the video signal directly to the goggle. You can use video cable with rca connector at one end, you will cut the other end and weld the center of the cable on the Kopin module orange wire and the sheild around on the white wire and use another cable (like the audio rca cable) and plug a battery at one end and the other end is weld on the Kopin module, center of rca cable will be weld to the red of the Kopin module, and the sheild to the black wire.
you can find ideas by taking a look at my goggle cap mod:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=59

Kopim module work on 3.3V. I'm not sure if it have a voltage regulator, if not you need one absoltly. Perhaps it will work on one lipo, but without regulator, I think it's risky.

=
Nov 24, 2007, 10:48 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
There are a few people that rave about how good the Headplay goggles are. Yous ay the lens' are not as good as the ones in the kopin googles, could you tell us more about that, what do you mean. Because as an upgrade path I see the Headplay goggles due to the great reviews.
Nov 25, 2007, 03:16 AM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Vrflyer , thankīs for your help , but the failure is not in the control module , itīs in the video processor . I have checked it and I have video signal till the processor . I donīknow if they sell the circuit alone , but for the complete module they asked for ĄĄ400$!! .
The headplay goggles have very god reputation , but what you mean when you said " they are good, but the lens of Kopin module are better " .
What about the rimax 5 ? , I know they are similar than the Rvision , but anyone have any experience with them?...
Nov 25, 2007, 04:17 AM
Yeah the Headplays has a lot of good reviews from many but I think what VRFlyer is trying to say (in regards to comfort) is that the Headplay use only ONE LCD and fakes it with several tiny mirrors to produce an image for both eyes. This explains why it is VERY important to make sure it is focused correctly and not moved once done! Secondly the Kopin VRFlyer explains uses 2 LCD, one for each eye so it will feel more comfortable to view. Again I am not knocking Headplay since the review speaks for itself but for VRFlyer it (may) not be his top choice. I for one am quite happy with the Kopin set up and have no short term reason to change. Unless I accidentally sit on it like my last pair of sun glasses
Nov 25, 2007, 06:17 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocvr
My Rvision-D high resolution goggles purchased at range-video 7 monthīs ago have dead ... ]
Hmm, what about a warranty return instead of dismantling them?!
Nov 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Live FPV or Die
The reviews of Headplay are very good, but something come back oftenly and I'm agree, the display need to be exactly in front of each eye, and even some corners will appear dark, this is explaining why the goggle have so many adjustements possible, My goggle base on Kopin don't have any adjustement because thay don't need it, Kopin fit well for majority of person, I let them try to many and only one was not able to see clearly in it. The Headply are not for me, the guy have a lot more distance between eyes than me, it was evident when I try the Headplay after him, one of my eye did not see at all the second picture. When he try my Kopin goggle, both of us see clearly in it.
Headplay lens are like a microscope, if you eye are not perfectly align, you see dark on the edge. But because they have many adjustement and stay firmly in place, it's ok.
I prefer my Kopin goggle, I will not exchange my goggle with Headplay even for free, noy because Headplay are not good, but I prefer the picture of the Kopin. Picture size appear similar in both goggle. Kopin have no adjustement possible, but everything is well balance in the Kopin module whe I use it with my KX131 cam, so I don't need it.
In both goggle I don't see pixels
the problem of my I-Vision 922 with the Kopin module is everything around the Kopin module was cheap: housing cracked rapidly, goggle connector become intermitent even the paint come off but when I made my goggle cap, it was very good, i never seen another goggle confortable like my goggle cap until I tried the Headplay base also on a cap.

Overall Headplay goggle are good and they are the best choice presently. Too many goggle made with Kopin module had failed, so do not buy them, but it's not the fault of the Kopin module, even in this thread, I suspect the voltage regulator inside the controller box to have failed sendind too much voltage to the Kopin module, so the microprocessor had fail, can you confirm it by mesuring the voltage at the Kopin module input, i think it should be regulated at 3.3V, but I'm not sure perhaps a voltage regulator is in the Kopin module.

I'm really hook to the Kopin module like you can see. This module fit inside my hand and it have everything to give a clear picture, two lcd, backlight source and electornic to drive them, it need only a power source and video signal... a little marvel.
Did you seen the brick that follow the Headplay, it have some advantages, but overall i prefer not have it, I'm addicted to FPV.

Edit: The quality of the Headplay goggle is absolutly awesome. Everything, even the shipping box is top quality. I did not find flaw in the design telling me they will broke somewhere, these goggle are made to last, so I would recommend them to anyone who want to jump in FPV world, because reliabilty is very important for us.
Last edited by VRflyer; Nov 25, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Nov 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
albertocvr
Thread OP
The problem is not the 3,3 v supply ,thatīs ok , the problem is the contact between the video processor and the board . The module meets rosh , so it have no lead on the solder and they have less flexibility . Any mechanical or thermal stress can ruin a margin solder . I diden`t know that the headplay just have one lcd .. Thank`s for the information.
Nov 25, 2007, 04:00 PM
Live FPV or Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocvr
The problem is not the 3,3 v supply ,thatīs ok , the problem is the contact between the video processor and the board .

ok, I understand
Nov 26, 2007, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Hmm, what about a warranty return instead of dismantling them?!
Naaaa that would be too logical!
Nov 26, 2007, 02:33 PM
albertocvr
Thread OP
I compared the Z800 with another Kopin based goggles and there is a big difference not only in image quality , but in image size too . The z800 screens have 1,6" diagonal and Kopin 1,05" . What about the Headplay compared with the z800? . Does someone tested both ? .......Forget about this , a find the answer https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=headplay

Last edited by albertocvr; Nov 26, 2007 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply